South Dakota > Ice Fishing South Dakota

Season start date

(1/2) > >>

johnwaynejeep:
when can we expect the season to start in Pennington county?

I know it depends on the thickness of the ice and people often wait with baited breath...uhhhh...hooks, for the state to open the season. But, I don't even know what date range to expect this to happen (Late October, Early November, Late november).

Can anyone clue me in on when this usually happens each year?

Thanks
Robert

ice dawg:
We don't have a closed season in South Dakota. The factor that determines when you start ice fishing is the thickness of the ice. There are people that will fish on 1 1/2" of ice. Personally, I don't like swimming in near freezing water and will wait until it gets thick enough for me to feel safe. As far as when you will be able to start ice fishing depends on the weather. I have seen years when I was ice fishing by Thanksgiving and I have seen times when I didn't feel the ice was safe until around New Years. I have seen years when I was driving on 30" of ice during the first part of March and I have seen years when I was on the water during the first week of March. As you can see, there is no set date for ice fishing. There are usually people on here posting the ice conditions arounnd the state. If you don't see any ice conditions for your part of the state just ask for them.  Most of all, have fun on the ice andyou will probably run into some of us out there.  ;)

johnwaynejeep:
Thanks for the info Dawg. I ask because I'm in the desert right now. I need to build an ice house when I get back home that will used by multiple people, I wanted to make sure I would have enough time to build it since others are relying on me. It sounds like I'll have time.

By the way, are you by any chance a wire Dawg?

Robert

ice dawg:

--- Quote from: johnwaynejeep on Sep 07, 2008, 05:59 AM ---.

By the way, are you by any chance a wire Dawg?

Robert

--- End quote ---

I guess I don't understand your question so I must not be.  ???

Big E:
Last year I was out on Sheridan just before XMas...there was some rain that I recall that killed the fresh ice.   I need 4 - 5" before I go out.  They don't call me Big E for nothing.

Year before that I was out 13 Dec.

Usually around the beginning of Dec, I'll start to recon the hill lakes to see how they are doing. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version