The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Carmi Ice  (Read 5775 times)

Offline Pike Panther

• IceShanty Rookie
Carmi Ice
« on: Feb 05, 2023, 07:28 PM »
I want to bring my elderly uncle fishing this week.  Anybody see any trucks on Carmi Sunday after the cold snap?

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Carmi Ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2023, 07:24 AM »
I have not. I know there’s still some pretty nasty pockets of slush. Lot of it froze up. I will be headed there this afternoon. Will let you know what I find

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2023, 08:29 PM »
I fished Carmi today. 10” of ice with some slushy spots on the ice. 4 wheelers and SxS’s  on the ice, no trucks.

First time fishing there and caught 2 keepers. Others that came off of the ice when I did around 2:30 or so did better than me. I suck at fishing this year.  :)

Offline Pike Panther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2023, 08:16 AM »
Bob, thanks for the report.  Looks like we will bring a wheeler with that being said.  When you say you got 2 keepers do you mean walleye or perch?  We are planning mostly on perch fishing.  If anyone fishes Carmi today could you let me know how much water is on the ice?

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2023, 03:55 PM »
Was fishing for perch. I was there yesterday until 12:30pm. Kept 15 perch, 8” or bigger. Left before the rain. I don’t plan on fishing until we get another cold spell. Rain and warm temps aren’t helping. I like getting perch for the freezer but not chancing it.

Offline FishHawkVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2023, 04:17 PM »
Bob - was there less ice compared to your previous outing?

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2023, 06:57 AM »
I will be checking the conditions today. I live close to carmi

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2023, 07:09 AM »
Ice was the same on Wednesday and Thursday. Warm temps and rain probably messed it up. I’m going to take a break from fishing until winter comes back.

Offline michael czapor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2023, 01:15 PM »
Has anyone been on Carmi. Just wondering if there’s ice. I like to go tomorrow but it’s a long ride. Thanks

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2023, 08:04 PM »
Has anyone been on Carmi. Just wondering if there’s ice. I like to go tomorrow but it’s a long ride. Thanks

its safe to fish just look out for holes but 8-10 for the most part. 
Fish on

Offline Mr.Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2023, 08:50 AM »
What else is in Carmi besides perch? Any trout?

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2023, 11:55 AM »
Carmi is most popular for it's perch and walleye fishing.  It also has northern pike, smallmouth bass, and pumpkinseeds.  Be sure you know the rules before fishing it, though.  There is a slot limit on walleye and a limit on the number of perch you can keep.

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2023, 01:39 PM »
Fished Carmi this morning for about 3 1/2 hours. I sucked and caught no keeper perch. At least 10” of ice. There is a plowed road from the boat launch that heads north.

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2023, 06:48 AM »
Fished Carmi yesterday morning until noon. Still has 10” of ice with solid snow in some spots, I was able to walk on it. Other spots were slushy. I only caught 2 keeper perch, 8” or better. I was there in February for a few days and struggling to get some nice perch or numbers of fish that Carmi is known for.

Not sure how long this camper has been there but saw it coming off yesterday.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2023, 10:10 AM »
Watched the suburban and camper drive out Saturday with a Subaru not far behind it.

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2023, 01:46 PM »
Watched the suburban and camper drive out Saturday with a Subaru not far behind it.
IDK what the hell people are thinking. This is a tragedy waiting to happen.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2023, 04:25 AM »
I also was there the day the camper was pulled off the ice. Now I know why the rd is so slushy. I fished there Tuesday and I found a solid foot of ice just about everywhere I fished. By the time I had left in the afternoon there was a lot more slush from the snow that had fallen. No crazy numbers as I was swinging for the fences with big bait left over from a previous trip. One 21” eater walleye few jumbo perch and one 10 lb 14 oz pike that was released. Was only 32”. My previous pb from there this winter was just shy of 36” and 9 lb 10 oz. Big dif between male and female in weight to length ratio. Was a good day over all with only one of my tip ups producing but for a final trip of the season I called it a success. I may try to get out again this weekend. 🤞🏻

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2023, 10:58 AM »
Sounds like a good trip!  "Perchbait" and I planning on heading there on Saturday.  Hoping the snow will have settled by then.

Also, just a friendly reminder that walleye season ended yesterday.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2023, 05:52 PM »
Yep ends the 15. I went on the 14 one last trip. I’d like to get on a pike over 40”. Largest length wise was 35 1/2” to center of tail. Hoping a 40” female will put me in the 15lb range. May make a trip to Highgate springs. Gilbert tells me the ice is still good there. The snow on carmi wasn’t terrible but if you’re walking stick close to the rd. Some areas of slush were deep

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2023, 10:13 AM »
Good luck in your quest!  Those 40"+ pike are a rare find.  I've caught 1 that went 41.5" on open water.  Didn't get a weight ... just snapped a couple of pics and got her back in the water.  What a beast.  Can't imagine what she would have looked like this time of year.
 My best guess was that she was around 17lbs when I caught her, based on scouring the Master Angler page and looking at other fish caught in that length range.

Good luck!

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2023, 06:15 AM »
Yep based on what I’ve caught out of carmi, of course Champlain is dif, 41.5” would def be high teens prespawn. If you’re going to get a giant trophy it will def be a female. The males are def longer but no where near as much weight. Glad to hear there are bigger than 11 lb pike roaming the waters. I’m all about catch and release on the trophy fish, called recycling smiles

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2023, 08:26 AM »
Sorry for the confusion ... my 41"er was caught on Champlain.  My son, Perch bait, did catch a ~10lber out of Carmi earlier this winter, though!  It was a FAT 35"+.  They are out there.

I like that .....  "Recycling smiles"!

Oh, and there is still around a foot of ice on Carmi.  We were out there Saturday and caught some huge perch.  They are getting so fat right now.  The ice where we were was ~8" of black with ~3-4" of white ice on top.  Also plenty of slush on top to make walking a chore.  Probably all firmed up now, but not for long.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2023, 12:17 PM »
Anyone been on carmi this week? I was there Sunday with good foot of ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.