South Dakota > Ice Fishing South Dakota

Pierre/Missouri River

(1/1)

Slowpokery:
Hello guys! I was wondering if anyone has fished this central area. I just moved to Pierre this last year and man the river is kicking my butt. The west bend of the river has great fishing ice but I can not seem to find the fish. I like catching everything but does anyone here have some lure color tips? I have navionics so I can see depth fairly well. If anyone has any Lake suggestions near me I’m all ears! Thanks guys. Tight lines!

SD Fisherman:
I have heard of some people catching some fish at Farm Island in years past and also the stilling basin below the dam. I fished the stilling basin years ago and wasn't great, but we did catch a handful of fish. As for Oahe, I believe most decent ice fishing is usually Whitlocks and north. Baits I usually use on the Missouri are a spoon (PK Spoon or Buckshot) tipped with minnow heads, Jigging rap, or a vibratory bait. Good Luck!

thomasthepikehunter:
I'm not going to give out specifics, but all I'll say is that Oahe is one of the easier lakes to fish. The only problem is how big it is. If you aren't finding fish, you need to move, and I don't mean a few hundred yards. Try going somewhere 5-10 miles away. It's called a lake, but it's still really a river. It's a dynamic enviroment.

Slowpokery:
I ventured out, and managed to find some jumbo perch and decent walleye. I made the mistake of going to spring creek, won’t be doing that again. I’ve heard cow creek is great this time of year. West bend or joe creek is the go to from my experiences! Tight lines fellas I’ll let you know how this weekend goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version