Author Topic: Snowdog Registration - Does it need to be?  (Read 3252 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Snowdog Registration - Does it need to be?
« on: Feb 19, 2022, 11:17 AM »
I am no lawyer, and I don't work for the Utah DMV - but I do know how to read.  And reading the Utah Code is an easy task even some of it is poorly written.  Utah Code Title 41 covers Motor Vehicles.  Within Title 41 is Chapter 22 which covers Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV).  Here is a quote from Code 41-22-2:
Quote from: Utah Code C41-22
41-22-2 Definitions. As used in this chapter: (22) "Snowmobile" means any motor vehicle designed for travel on snow or ice and steered and supported in whole or in part by skis, belts, cleats, runners, or low pressure tires.

Choice of words is important and the words chosen for this part of the code say "steered AND supported".  In other words, some THING most be used to both steer and support the OHV.  There are no skis or tires on a Snowdog.  There is a track that supports the Snowdog.  Can the track be considered a belt, cleats, or runners?  Don't know because those three terms are not defined in Code C41-22-2.  But, the steering of the Snowdog is accomplished by applying pressure (pushing) the handlebar to one side or the other and handlebars are not part of the definition in C41-22-2 (22).  So, it is my opinion that the Snowdog does not fit the definition of a snowmobile in the Code.

However, there are some other definitions in C41-22-2 that do suggest that a Snowdog should be registered as an "All-terrain type III vehicle".  The definition for an "All-terrain type III vehicle" is this:
41-22-2 Definitions. As used in this chapter: (4) (a) "All-terrain type III vehicle" means any other motor vehicle, not defined in Subsection (2), (3), (12), or (22), designed for or capable of travel over unimproved terrain.

Further, the definition of "motor vehicle" is stated thusly:
(11) (a) "Motor vehicle" means every vehicle which is self-propelled.

And the definition also says:
(11) (b) "Motor vehicle" includes an off-highway vehicle.

And finally, an OHV is defined as:
(14) "Off-highway vehicle" means any snowmobile, all-terrain type I vehicle, all-terrain type II vehicle, all-terrain type III vehicle, or motorcycle.

I'm going to submit this information to the Utah DMV and request they make a decision as to whether the Snowdog should be registered as a snowmobile or as a Type III OHV.  They will probably lean toward that which will bring in the most income via the fees collected which is register as a Type III OHV.  We'll see.  In the meantime, I think we will be seeing more and more requests or citations by Conservation Officers/Park Rangers to get your Snowdog registered or else.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Re: Snowdog Registration - Does it need to be?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:10 PM »
Quote from: DMV
We have checked with Parks and Recreation on these vehicle types, and at this time they are not required to be titled or registered.  If you have additional questions please reply to this email or contact our Customer Service Representatives for further assistance. Hours are Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. at 801-297-7780 or 1-800-368-8824.
I'm still waiting for an answer from the folks that actually control the OHV Program in Utah.  They were recently moved from Parks & Recreation to another division under the Department of Natural Resources.  I should have an answer by tomorrow.  Stay tuned.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2022, 12:21 PM »
I got a phone call this morning from a Utah DNR employee.  The short answer is this - no decision has been made yet that would indicate Snowdogs need to be registered at this time.  There are several state agencies that are looking at this to include the DMV, DNR, and the AG Office.  Law Enforcement (Park Rangers & COs) are not entirely in sync on this at the present time, but DNR is addressing this and will strive for a consistent approach going forward.  For now, there is NO requirement to register a Snowdog or home built equivelent and the DMV will not do it even if asked to do it.

As the different agencies hash this out and come to a consensus of opinion as to the need to register these devices, forgettaboutit!  Just enjoy the free ride for as long as it lasts.

As always, if/when I hear anything more about this, I will pass it along to all y'all.  Straight lines and hard pulls to ya!
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2022, 07:08 AM »
Boy there is a lot of GRAY area there for if its going to be required and I imagine every LEO has their own take on it. I really don't see the state missing out on any income so your right, enjoy it while it lasts Bob
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2022, 09:39 AM »
So far I have only been approached once by a DNR officer (at Lost Creek) who started off telling me that my snowdog has to be registered. When I told him that I tried to register it at the same time as I renewed the quad registration for 2022 in person at the DMV only to have the DMV staff say that they "can't register it"....he said "oh" and said he would have to ask around. He drove past me 2 hrs later when I loaded up the truck to leave and just waved as he went by. We will see....
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2022, 11:24 AM »
I talked to the Utah State Director of Parks.  It seems that one of the Lieutenants in either Parks & Rec or the DWR took it upon themselves to brief their agents to push this registration of Snowdogs without any firm foundation on which to base his recommendation.  The DMV is waiting on clarification from the DNR (actually falls to the newly formed Utah Recreation Department under the DNR) to determine if these machines actually meet the Utah States definition of a motor vehicle that has to be titled and registered.  As of February 2022, no such agreement had been reached between the DMV and the DNR.  Currently, there is NO requirement to register a Snowdog in Utah.  I am not aware of any decisions made to the contrary.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.