Ice Fishing Media > Ice Fishing Pictures

First trout outing of the year

(1/3) > >>

FreshwaterPhil:
Few decent trout from a small lake that had it's annual stocking / derby a few days ago.

One of the trout that got away, did so at the edge of the hole, just as I was about to grab it. Whit the rod loaded, the jigging rap shot back at the hand I was about to landed it with, embedding the small treble deep in my finger past the barb.

Lucky I had the right tools for easy removal on hand (including my reading glasses  ::) ), had to push it through and snip off the hook with the cutters.

Blog post is up at: http://freshwater-phil.blogspot.com/2022/02/first-trout-fishing-outing-of-winter.html

SLAYERFISH:
Nice trouts!  Brooky or Splake?  I can't see the tails-

FreshwaterPhil:

--- Quote from: SLAYERFISH on Feb 01, 2022, 09:40 PM ---Nice trouts!  Brooky or Splake?  I can't see the tails-

--- End quote ---

Brookies. Very few lakes here with splake, and they are closed during winter like lakers. One of the lodges I do some occasional guiding from has been trying to get a permit to stock them and open to ice fishing since a few years, but nothing yet.

icefishman:
Nice troot!! Looks like that hook might have stung a bit

FreshwaterPhil:

--- Quote from: icefishman on Feb 02, 2022, 07:30 AM ---Nice troot!! Looks like that hook might have stung a bit

--- End quote ---

Thanks. Sting wasn't too bad, especially once I pushed through that barbed end. I'd have tried the string trick, but the hook was tiny, and I only had one hand to work with. Simpler to push through and cut it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version