Author Topic: Teardrop vs 90 Degree Horizontal Tungsten Jigs  (Read 1956 times)

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
Teardrop vs 90 Degree Horizontal Tungsten Jigs
« on: Nov 30, 2021, 05:14 PM »
Why are there sooooo many tungsten teardrop jigs in the market but almost no horizontal jigs with the eyelet 90 degrees from the shank? Lindy fat boys, 13 Fishing Doug (discontinued), and VMC various named jigs (tungsten tubby) are some of the very few options for horizontal jigs.  But if you you look pretty much anywhere on the Google machine.... tungsten teardrops out the yin yang.  Kind of a shame because I much prefer the horizontal jigs.  They're easier to tie on the line and the jig sits more level in the water.  I don't get it.  I wish someone would give VMC a run for their money and make some decent cheap horizontal tungsten jigs some day.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Teardrop vs 90 Degree Horizontal Tungsten Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2021, 07:19 PM »
Always just good ol round head jigs, mostly still what I use.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:21 PM »
Good question.  I just prefer good round jig heads or triangle like fish head jigs like on them Northland Mimic minnows.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2021, 11:04 PM »
Always just good ol round head jigs, mostly still what I use.

I like the stand up style jigs, (slow poke) work great if you want to leave your jig right on the bottom. The stand up style always has the hook pointed up so has a much better hook percentage............ .at least that has been my experience. There are many stand up style jigs on the market but I find the slow poke to have the strongest hook.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2021, 03:47 AM »

Maybe I've been wrong all of these years, but I've always called the jig on the left a vertical (teardrop style) and on the right a horizontal. Both are Tungsten. The one on the right are the most common and easiest to find. The left? The only ones I have found in Tungsten are made by Skandia. I believe I bought them through K and E Tackle.

So is this what you are referring to, or am I missing something?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:30 AM »
Im confused too.theres so many companies selling both styles.i prefer horizontal styles like wolfram fiskas and amped.i never had good luck with vertical jig hook percentage.old school demon glows were alright but use a thick shank gold hook thats not very sharp.i prefer thin wire hooks.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:49 AM »
This is what I'm referring to.  The top is a teardrop jig that uses a straight shank hook at an angle.  The eyelet of the hook is typically at an angle above the jig body.  The bottom jig is a horizontal type jig which uses a jig hook with a 90 degree bend. This jog sits level in the water much easier.  The eyelet is straight above the jig body and there's more room to use a small snap or it's easier to get the line through that open vertical eyelet on those cold blustery days using tiny jigs.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:50 AM »
Use a loop knot for those jigs in the top pic.they balance perfectly.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2021, 06:18 AM »
This is what I'm referring to.  The top is a teardrop jig that uses a straight shank hook at an angle.  The eyelet of the hook is typically at an angle above the jig body.  The bottom jig is a horizontal type jig which uses a jig hook with a 90 degree bend. This jog sits level in the water much easier.  The eyelet is straight above the jig body and there's more room to use a small snap or it's easier to get the line through that open vertical eyelet on those cold blustery days using tiny jigs.

Ok...I think I see what you're getting at now. But me...and only me... the differences are so subtle that I won't or don't worry about it. Both those jigs will be horizontal for the most part. But I rarely let any jig "sit" idle in the water. I'm always jigging, stopping just long enough to let 'em bite. Then start over. And I tie all of my jigs with a Palomar. No loop. And I rarely tie on jigs while I'm out there. I have enough rods ready to go that it's not necessary. Maybe if I lose one that was a hot bite will I do it. But again, that's just me.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2021, 04:46 PM »
The top is a 45 degree eye. Doc is right, vertical is a straight up and down, my favorite for sunfish and getting hard to find.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:03 PM »
The reason for the teardrop style is because it's easier to make them.  Tungsten is sort of hard to work with.  So if the hook shank is straight level to the side of the jig head, it's easy to get a good attachment. 

Remember when all tungsten weights needed a sleeve inside the line hole.  Now they can make them so it doesn't chew up your line.  So expect in the future that tungsten jig heads should come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:53 PM »
The top is a 45 degree eye. Doc is right, vertical is a straight up and down, my favorite for sunfish and getting hard to find.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2021, 06:27 PM »
We're talking about horizontal jigs not vertical jigs here

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2021, 06:48 PM »
Lots of round head jig options out there, mostly what I use, do use a few vertical spoon's

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2021, 07:06 PM »
Then why is your picture a 45? 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2021, 08:02 PM »
Most everyone is missing the discussion point.

It's not 45 at all but the hook shank is flat flushed to the teardrop jig head vs your 90 degree upturn hook shank aberdeen.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2021, 08:52 PM »
Its not a 45? You’re right it’s a 60.  There’s 30 degree also, but it ain’t a 90.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2021, 04:52 AM »
Most everyone is missing the discussion point.

It's not 45 at all but the hook shank is flat flushed to the teardrop jig head vs your 90 degree upturn hook shank aberdeen.

Bob, thank you.  That's exactly what I'm talking about. 

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2021, 04:59 AM »
Its not a 45? You’re right it’s a 60.  There’s 30 degree also, but it ain’t a 90.

Hawg, there are various kinds of "jig hooks".  The 90 degree hooks commonly used in the crappie/panfish world are generally pretty standard though and are the ones I'm speaking of.  There are a few makers of tungsten jigs on these typical 90 degree hooks and those are the jigs I was saying I wish they made more of.  These jig hooks look like this:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2021, 08:32 AM »
LOL.  Ice fishermen do get frozen frish brains at times.  Wait, I'm one of them too.  ;D

Like all over social media are people forgetting their stuff as they leave their first ice trip, rod and reel combo's, flashers, a complete rod case of stuff, and someone even mentions the whole flipover and gear.  Ergh, isn't this more like forgotten to pack the stuff out and then believing you've forgotten it?!!!!!!!  Must be the new "smart" phone generation trend.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2021, 07:09 PM »
I thought this was a tear drop…

I thought this was a Mooska or Marmooska jig.

Thought this was more of a jig head/round ball

Just a question…but if the OP prefers the 90* hooks and horizontal presentation….why not get the small round headed jigs in tungsten. Or find the small tube head jigs that go in the small crappie tubes in tungsten. Then just powder paint them. Usually pretty cheap and plentiful to find.

Offline joedevera

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2021, 09:57 PM »
A snell knot will hold them more true horizontal for you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.