Author Topic: HT Enterprises tip-ups  (Read 3782 times)

Offline leapold

• IceShanty Rookie
HT Enterprises tip-ups
« on: Nov 29, 2021, 10:16 PM »
Hello,
I would like to buy new tip-ups. I can't decide with model to choose.
The 2 models is very interesting for me:  MAINE WOOD TRAP- TIP-UP(https://htent.com/catalog/item.php?itemno0=MT-1) vs EXPLORER WOOD STICK TIP-UP W/ 500' SPOOL (https://htent.com/catalog/inventory.php?fam=110&cat=14&new=)

EXPLORER has metal spool but MAINE WOOD TRAP has plastic.
In the other hand MAINE WOOD TRAP has trip mechanism eliminates wind trips.
I didn't find model that have both feathers.
Any recommendations?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: HT Enterprises tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2021, 04:17 AM »
Love my HT's...but I prefer these. Larger spools. Hard to find sometimes. https://htent.com/catalog/view_image.php?img=etu-10.jpg
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline leapold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2021, 07:31 AM »
If I understand correctly ,this is EXPLORER tip up. I have seen few time that this tip up is not holding the flag  when strong wind.

Who has experience with  MAINE WOOD TRAP- TIP-UP. I am worry about plastic spool.

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2021, 01:27 PM »
I've used the HT Maine traps. Not my favorite tip ups. The concept of the windless flag is a nice idea, however the Maine trap is very hard to trip if you have a light biting fish. I use my Heritage Lakers with the windless trip mechanism and I would recommend those over the Maine traps. HT does have some nice stuff though. I've owned a set of polar style tip ups for years and they have never let me down. The HT explorer tip up I have used also and would even recommend that instead of the Maine trap... Just my opinion though. Hope this helped.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2021, 01:54 PM »
ht all the way. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/ht-enterprises-the-original-polar-tip-up?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Shop%7CCAB%7CTopPerformers%7CHunting&gclid=24ecb35effa91cbe9d4bd296378fbd05&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=24ecb35effa91cbe9d4bd296378fbd05

have only broken 1 plastic spool in 40yrs.  that was my fault from pulling it up through the iced over hole. it shouldnt be an issue.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2021, 03:41 PM »
I personally really like the ice master gold's. :tipup:

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:07 AM »
As I just said in other posts, I have had very good luck with Polar. Go out to the local lakes and see what others are using and what you like.

Offline leapold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2022, 10:45 AM »
Finally I bought Maine Wood Trap.

I will describe my feeling.
Polar Tip-Up-The flag is too short. I am going for pikes, Lakers that means I cover big area of the lake. In the deep snow easy to see the flag(Maine Wood Trap is beter for me).
Polar Tip-Up The there is problem with flag in the wind day. Perfect -Maine Wood Trap
Polar Tip-Up is plastic tip up. I have Windlass Tip-up and I broke them few times in the cold weather.

Maine Wood Trap not good for small fish like small trout. When I am going for trout I am using  Windlass Tip-up.

I Hope it will help to choose right one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.