The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trip to Devil's Lake!  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Trip to Devil's Lake!
« on: Nov 12, 2021, 04:16 PM »
Hey all, just booked a trip to Devil's Lake for January, staying at Woodland Resort!  My brother and I can't wait, been wanting to fish DL for a long time.  Thought I'd post to see if you guys have any suggestions for the ice house rentals and Perch Patrol guide service.

Currently, we have an ice house booked for two days, and a Perch Patrol guide on the third day.

The resort said we'll need our own gear for the ice houses.  We're flying up from Colorado, so I'm not sure how much gear we can bring.  Rods and lures are fine, but I hope we can rent flashers up there at the resort.  They said they're available, but that would suck if they're out when we arrive.  You guys think I should try and bring my flasher?

Any gear suggestions for someone not familiar with fishing Devil's Lake?  I catch a good number of perch and eyes out here in Colorado, but I'm wondering if our days in the ice houses will be a waste if we don't know what we're doing. I'm usually using kastmasters, rattlemasters, pimples, and jigging raps for perch out here in Colorado.  Think that will be an ok selection to bring?  I'm stoked to get up there!

Pic for fun: a nice 14.5" Colorado perch I caught on a pimple:
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Trip to Devil's Lake!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2021, 12:10 PM »
My wife and I were in a rented fish house form Woodland on our first trip (we did 1 day in the fish house and 1 day with the Perch Patrol). The bite was pretty good in the fish house for the first 2 hours and last 2 hours, the middle 4 hours was very slow (mid day so it was somewhat expected) We caught mostly walleyes in the fish house but a few perch mixed in. Dont rule out brining smaller jigs and plastics, sometimes the perch are very finicky

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2021, 05:35 PM »
My wife and I were in a rented fish house form Woodland on our first trip (we did 1 day in the fish house and 1 day with the Perch Patrol). The bite was pretty good in the fish house for the first 2 hours and last 2 hours, the middle 4 hours was very slow (mid day so it was somewhat expected) We caught mostly walleyes in the fish house but a few perch mixed in. Dont rule out brining smaller jigs and plastics, sometimes the perch are very finicky
Thank you, bigstorm!  Yes, I'm planning to bring a wide range of patterns, including small tungsten and plastics. I just hope I'm able to get my rods, reels, and everything else up there in one piece after bringing it on the airplane!  I also plan to call the bait shop at Woodland, to get input on what to bring.  Prolly end up buying a bunch of the "hot jigs" once we get there, too   ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline irishman03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2021, 10:34 AM »
As far as flashers just remove the battery for your flight and place in your carry on. The electronics can be in your checked bags. Good luck Ive wanted to go please keep us updated. also check out this website
https://fishfrostbite.com/

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2021, 11:46 AM »
As far as flashers just remove the battery for your flight and place in your carry on. The electronics can be in your checked bags. Good luck Ive wanted to go please keep us updated. also check out this website
https://fishfrostbite.com/

Thanks!  Yeah, I brought my flasher to Moosehead in Maine, but it was a bit of a pain to take it apart for the airplane.  I brought the batteries, the ducer, and the viewscreen as carry-on, and put the frame/case in the checked bag. If Woodland has rental flashers, I'll probably just use them.  My fear will be getting there and them saying "Sorry, no flashers available."
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2021, 11:55 AM »
If I recall, they do rent flashers and cameras there. give a call and see if you can reserve one

Offline MacksandBows

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2022, 06:47 PM »
 My wife and I have gone to Woodland Resort twice and stayed in their ice houses. A great experience, perch walleyes and white bass. The guides are very helpful if you want them to be. I brought my own electronics, but they had stacks of them waiting to be used. Can't wait to go back.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:48 PM »
Weelll…my flights were canceled, so my trip didn’t happen.  Oh well!  Maybe some day, without all this craziness!  Hope to get up there some time.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline MTmarabou

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2022, 07:56 PM »
Any new ice reports planning on going in a week or so.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.