Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Okoboji baitshops  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Okoboji baitshops
« on: Oct 23, 2021, 05:29 AM »
There are no baitshops that clean fish at the lakes anymore. Kabeles became an ammo dealer, Stan's decided not to and Shucks got run into the ground. I guess there is a lady who does it behind Casey's in Spirit lake. I'm glad I got to use that service while it lasted. The fishing went to heck and the baitshops followed. I shouldn't be surprised, I guess.

Anyone know why that Travis is never at Stan's anymore and someone else does the fishing report? My buddy asked me and I didn't know, I've been in there one time since March.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Okoboji baitshops
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2021, 09:52 AM »
A Wahpeton resident told me he gets his fish cleaned at Oak Hill Outdoor.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2021, 04:28 PM »
There are no baitshops that clean fish at the lakes anymore. Kabeles became an ammo dealer, Stan's decided not to and Shucks got run into the ground. I guess there is a lady who does it behind Casey's in Spirit lake. I'm glad I got to use that service while it lasted. The fishing went to heck and the baitshops followed. I shouldn't be surprised, I guess.

Anyone know why that Travis is never at Stan's anymore and someone else does the fishing report? My buddy asked me and I didn't know, I've been in there one time since March.
Travis got fired. He never owned the baitshop, his dad does. I enjoyed Travis but many did not. He got into it with his dad and he fired him. I do believe OakHill Outdoors cleans fish. That whole baitshop is filled with former Stans employees. They all left Travis a long time ago.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2021, 04:29 PM »
Whole thing is just a big mess. I still prefer Stans though.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2021, 05:00 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas. Sad what has transpired in 10 years but I guess that is frequently the case in life.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2021, 09:54 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas. Sad what has transpired in 10 years but I guess that is frequently the case in life.
The problem with Travis is he was wanting to get rich. His prices were high and his bait prices just kept going up. No one ever got a deal while he was there. He ran a tight shop and that is not how a local bait shop should be ran. A little goes a long ways and many customers started going elsewhere. No one should ever have to pay 1.79 for a 4” chub.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2021, 09:59 AM »
So there is 1 bait shop in all the lakes area that cleans fish. Who woulda thunk. Are you very sure about Kabeles?

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2021, 11:07 AM »
Southern Minnesota boy here, Y'alls baitshops clean your fish? Dang wish we had some around here that did! ;D

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2021, 02:57 PM »
Kabeles ditched fish cleaning for ammo sales.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2021, 10:37 PM »
Kabeles ditched fish cleaning for ammo sales.

I mean can you blame any of the bait shops? It's not like it would be a money maker, or really even worth the time. I mean who is going to buy anything when your done fishing.

On the other hand, I can't agree anymore that all the bait shops have gone to crap. I do like Stan's, and Travis there or not......I could care less. Didn't have a problem with the guy, but he surely didn't add anything to the shop IMO. Fishing reports were ok....nothing great.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2021, 08:06 AM »
One of my favorite things was dropping my fish at Stan's or shucks, heading to Spencer, getting some KFC, going back to get my fish then going home. I have been made fun of 900 times for that until the person rides along. I've had multiple people say I'm never cleaning fish again afterwards. It's just too awesome when you can avoid cleaning fish.
They don't have to clean fish. I don't have to stop in. Nobody has to do nothing.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2021, 09:09 AM »
It surely is nice not having to clean fish at the end of the day. I prefer to do it myself because I feel like I can do a better job. I guess I have high expectations on how I like my fish cleaned and anytime I had a baitshop do it, it seemed like I had to go through them again. The amount of people dropping fish off to be cleaned over the last 2-3 years is unreal. Many people have gotten into the sport and with the good bluegill fishing, it’s not uncommon to clean well over 1000 fish a day. Then there’s the guys who drop off buckets full of yellow bass (no limit). Most shops had no choice but to scrap it. It used to be an evening job for a few hours for an employee to clean fish, and it turned into a full time job with overtime. They had to cut back to say no fish in after 5 pm. It was just getting to be too much.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2021, 10:30 AM »
Stopped at Okoboji Gas Co. and asked them if they cleaned fish. The answer was no because they couldn’t find anyone to clean fish. Bait shop owners nowadays pretty much don’t clean fish. The moneymaking side of cleaning fish is having those repeat customers come back through your door to buy the products you sell. Even more money when the owner does the labor (clean fish). Customer service goes a long way. It does take a special person to clean a lot of fish.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2021, 10:50 PM »
I have a lot of respect for anyone who owns or runs a bait shop. I don’t think anybody starts one thinking they are going to get rich, it’s someth8ng they enjoy. People knock kabeles all the time but they run a great business, their prices are pretty fair and the selection is good. I clean all my own fish but that is mainly because I’m cheap. Can’t blame them for finding another source of revenue that happens to be less labor intensive.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2021, 07:50 PM »
Why can't I blame them?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2021, 11:14 PM »
I have a lot of respect for anyone who owns or runs a bait shop. I don’t think anybody starts one thinking they are going to get rich, it’s someth8ng they enjoy. People knock kabeles all the time but they run a great business, their prices are pretty fair and the selection is good. I clean all my own fish but that is mainly because I’m cheap. Can’t blame them for finding another source of revenue that happens to be less labor intensive.

I don't disagree about them running a good business. Business wise. What I don't like about them is the false fishing reports they consistently put out for ice fishing. Misleading a lot of people. I mean it's one thing to do a fishing report.....or even a broad general one.....it's another thing to flat out make up a report. Now maybe they are just talking to fisherman that are feeding them absolute false information and repeating it......but come on....I will mis Travis reports from Stan's.......he was actually pretty accurate and truthful on his reports.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2021, 11:15 PM »
Did Shuck's ever get redone?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2021, 10:07 AM »
Shucks did get redone but it's something different now. I rolled through the parking lot to look but I didn't go inside.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2021, 01:11 PM »
Okoboji Gas Company

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2021, 05:17 PM »
So is there a bait shop or anything fishing related to do with it?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2021, 05:22 PM »
So is there a bait shop or anything fishing related to do with it?
No. Kraftys meat market is attached to it though. Awesome jerky. And all sorts of stuff. It’s definitely worth checking out.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2021, 07:11 PM »
Brother-in-Law bought some bait there. I priced an ice shack.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2021, 07:22 PM »
No. Kraftys meat market is attached to it though. Awesome jerky. And all sorts of stuff. It’s definitely worth checking out.

I make My own jerky….but might have to try some.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2021, 09:32 PM »
I make My own jerky….but might have to try some.
You should. I bet it is better than yours.   :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2021, 10:09 PM »
You should. I bet it is better than yours.   :roflmao: :roflmao:

I doubt it. I make it the way I like it. 🙀 Beef jerky is kinda like Steak. Very few places do a decent job making it.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2021, 10:20 PM »
They also have some pretty good brats. Neat place.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2021, 09:38 PM »
And so it starts MR. Seaguar........stockin g stuffers for everyone.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2021, 07:59 AM »
And so it starts MR. Seaguar........stockin g stuffers for everyone.

😂😂😂

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2022, 08:33 PM »
So are any of the shops cleaning fish yet? Stopped by the new okaboji gas company….odd….had more clothing then typical gas station stuff or fishing stuff…to bad. Stan’s is my bait shop of choice so far…anyone feel there is a better one?

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2022, 10:36 PM »
Kabele’s? Kidding. I would agree with Stan’s. They have anything you could need, priced fairly, the spikes and waxies are fresh and good quality. Anytime you ask for about some info they are more than willing to help a guy out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.