Author Topic: Single hooks opinion  (Read 5390 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
Single hooks opinion
« on: Oct 05, 2021, 07:42 AM »
I hate treble hooks and have had great success with gamakatsu splitshot  /dropshot and was wond What you guys thought about using that on tip ups

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Single hooks opinion
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2021, 07:53 AM »
Can't hurt to give it a try.  What don't you like about trebles?  I run small ones, #12 for eyes, usually #10 but sometimes #8 for pike.  They normally end up in the corner of the mouth and come out easy.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:03 AM »
Can't hurt to give it a try.  What don't you like about trebles?  I run small ones, #12 for eyes, usually #10 but sometimes #8 for pike.  They normally end up in the corner of the mouth and come out easy.

I had an incident with a crank bait and the of the trebles caught part of my pants right near my groin
It also is a bigger pain to unhook and I tend to have problems with them

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:27 AM »
Honestly, I like circle hooks. I may lose a few more fish, but to me a circle hook is perfect for a tip up as the way to set a circle hook is let the fish run for a bit, then just add a bit of tension. I also never gut hook a fish with a circle hook. So I say go for it.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:33 AM »
Honestly, I like circle hooks. I may lose a few more fish, but to me a circle hook is perfect for a tip up as the way to set a circle hook is let the fish run for a bit, then just add a bit of tension. I also never gut hook a fish with a circle hook. So I say go for it.
Personally I think I might give that a try but i just remember someone saying they didn’t have luck

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2021, 11:11 AM »
I don't think anyone I fish with uses treble hooks on their tip-ups.  This could be a regional (Maine) approach since most the videos I see on youtube from out west or Canada seem to use treble hooks.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2021, 01:01 PM »
I don't think anyone I fish with uses treble hooks on their tip-ups.  This could be a regional (Maine) approach since most the videos I see on youtube from out west or Canada seem to use treble hooks.

I still use trebles on my tip-ups, but I rarely use my tip-ups anymore. I only use them if I'm taking a group of people out or if I'm walleye fishing and set up in the last spot of the night.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2021, 01:30 PM »
Single point hooks work just fine under a trap... It's all we can use in NH with bait and we catch fish. I'm a big fan of the Owner single replacement hooks as are most of the folks I fish with...
https://www.ownerhooks.com/product/single-replacement-hooks-x-strong/
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2021, 09:35 PM »
I use a single Gamakatsu #2 red Octopus for tipups or dead sticking chubs. Works great.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2021, 08:22 PM »
always had good luck with large kahle hooks.  lest several years i been using a kahle hook and a small treble above that.  bigger baits need more hook. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Hillsfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2021, 10:33 PM »
I got tired of deep hook sets and misses using the traditional treble hook rigs.  I switched to making my own leaders (single strand wire and crimps) and single circle hook rigs.  I have had better hook ups, meaning less misses, and way fewer deep hooks.  I am a convert! 

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2021, 10:15 AM »
I like 3/0-5/0 octopus hooks. I’ve seen quick strikes and trebles get swallowed many times and that’s a death sentence. At least with the single hooks I can get the hook out no matter how deep it is my pulling the leader through the gill plate back towards the tail rotating the hook then I go in through the mouth with long pliers.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2021, 10:19 AM »
I've always prefered the single hook. Small trebles swallowed = dead fish of no return.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2021, 02:00 PM »
Gamakatsu's finesse wide gap in a 4/0 or 5/0 is the only hook that you'll find on one of my pike tip-ups. They work equally well with 4-6" suckers or similar sized dead smelt. I hook my baits inline with the spine just behind the dorsal fin. My number of dropped bites has went down dramatically compared to the #4 trebles that I used to use. 

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2021, 04:23 PM »
single siwash on all my spoons.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2022, 05:14 AM »
Gamakatsu's finesse wide gap in a 4/0 or 5/0 is the only hook that you'll find on one of my pike tip-ups. They work equally well with 4-6" suckers or similar sized dead smelt. I hook my baits inline with the spine just behind the dorsal fin. My number of dropped bites has went down dramatically compared to the #4 trebles that I used to use. 

Glad your also a gamakatsu fan. For Christmas somebody gave me the wrong(owner ssw hooks instead of the inline replacements)but I am willing to give those a try and will see how I do and then will compare to the finesse wide gap. Do you have a color preference?

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2022, 05:17 AM »
single siwash on all my spoons.
For replacing trebles at least on a spook I have used owner replacement hooks. I am curious to see if there is a difference in hook up ratio or bites between that and a swiash

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2022, 06:14 AM »
I have been using the red ones, but I don't think it makes a difference. After three or four pike the  red ones are 1/4 to 1/2 gold. I use these hooks rather than the more readily available siwash or octopus because the eye is smaller. The small eye doesn't give the pike anything to clamp down on, making for an easier and cleaner hook set.

I've been using Owner Mosquito hooks for steelhead for years and love them. A year or so ago they started making them in way bigger sizes. They call it the herring hook. I rigged some Lake Superior trolling spoons with them in the place of the Gamakatsu 510 siwash hook that I normally use. The eye is almost too small for that. There is only room for a single split ring wire, so the hook has to sit in the little gap in the ring were the wire is single. I think they have excellent potential for a tip-up hook. Fine but strong wire does less damage to live bait and makes penetrating a bony mouth easier.

https://www.ownerhooks.com/product/herring-hooks/

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2022, 06:44 AM »
I only use owner for the replacement hooks other wise it’s gamakatsu.
Like I said I’m only testing out the owner because the person who gave me them instead of the replacement hooks

Offline Smitty5313

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2022, 10:13 AM »
I use 4/0 owner ssw hooks on all my tip ups for pike; used both red and black, no preference.

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2022, 05:37 PM »
I use circles for pike on tip ups. After the flag, I let them run , stop ,and and maybe jiggle the line to get them to take off again. Once they run  again ,  I hold the line ,and walk backwards to drive the hook in ,usually in the corner of the mouth .

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2022, 08:43 PM »
I have replaced quite a few trebles with singles on the lures I use on open water. IMO I get a better hookup with single hooks. For the same amount of force behind a hook set it makes sense that one single point will sink deeper into the fish than 2 or 3 on a treble. Also a lot easier to untangle from a net.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2022, 10:32 PM »
I'm going back to single hooks this season, especially with the smaller minnows. I've seen too many pike on my camera that grab my bait and drop it, and they don't even take any line, so it's not resistance from the line. If they're not feeding aggressively, it's amazing how many just bump or mouth the minnow and let it go. Maybe I'll give circle hooks a try
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2022, 04:16 AM »
#2 Gamakatsu wide gap finesse hooks for me.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.