Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Iowa Great Lakes  (Read 17887 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Iowa Great Lakes
« Reply #90 on: Dec 17, 2021, 11:24 AM »
The DNR a few years ago said the zebras were why it was so dirty, because they gave off some sort of gas when they died. So idk.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #91 on: Dec 17, 2021, 08:10 PM »
The DNR a few years ago said the zebras were why it was so dirty, because they gave off some sort of gas when they died. So idk.

Mussels filter stuff out of the water for food, and Zebra mussels populate like crazy and purify the water. They are a good but problematic issue.

They clean the water and waterways terrifically. The issue is….they do not filter/eat blue green algae. So….blue green algae in clean crystal clear water…..guess what….algae blooms.

Algae blooms then die/decay and when they are decaying it takes Oxygen from the water….which can cause low O2 levels in the area and kill fish. Maybe it’s was what caused the dirty water? I could see if the mussels died they’d decay and do the same thing.

On the flip side. The excrete they leave in turn is good for food panfish eat because things like bloodworms and stuff feed on it. Some lakes have a panfish boom due to it.

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Dec 26, 2021, 08:19 PM »
Does anyone have a fish report or any info on ice conditions from the holiday weekend?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #93 on: Dec 31, 2021, 01:04 AM »
Anyone been up to the lakes yet?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Dec 31, 2021, 08:41 AM »

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #95 on: Dec 31, 2021, 06:35 PM »
Made it up there today. Not a bad day of fishing.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #96 on: Jan 01, 2022, 09:10 AM »
Agronomist_at_IA...I sent you a PM
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mchmss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Jan 03, 2022, 04:38 PM »
I was up last Friday and had a decently successful morning on West. There were a ton of people on Minnewasheta. Don't know if the bite was truly good over there or if that was just where the crowds were since that's the only place that had early ice fishing reports on.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #98 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:19 AM »
Was up there today....Caught 22 nice gills , and had a big crappie paper mouth get off at the top of the hole...stinking paper mouth.....jig shot out hit me in the head..... Oh well.

2# line was a must....wouldn't bite on the 4# line.
Wax worms sucked.
Only one spike on the jig any more they would not bit.
Jig had to be super tiny.....like my vex was turned 1\2 up just to mark it.
A super density spring banner was a must....I was using the lightest St. Croix spring.....when they bite it was barely noticable.

Anyone else out? Any tips?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #99 on: Dec 11, 2022, 10:38 PM »
Got up to the lakes on Sat & Sunday went to miniwashta.

Went out to about 13-14 ft. Gills & crappie were on the vex all day.....lots and lots of dinks. Caught a few nice gills and some nice crappie. Ice was around 6in with slush snow and about 2in of water on the top if you cleaned the snow off the ice.

Rain this week should melt and restart the top of the ice.....which will be good so its not honey comb

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Dec 12, 2022, 12:50 PM »
Looks like some good frigid Temps in the offing after that!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #101 on: Jan 10, 2023, 04:56 PM »
Was out last Friday evening on smiths bay with the truck and ice castle. Caught some gills and seen a lot of fish bite was slow.

Surprised we haven't heard more from the igl.

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Jan 15, 2023, 06:06 AM »
Fished the lakes over the new years weekend. West was great for us on perch and walleyes. Saw lots of schools of perch and you could pick out the smaller ones biggest was 11 1/2”. I didn’t catch an eye but my buddy got several over a few days. Minnows and bobbers,  spoons with minnow heads and tungsten and waxies was worked for us. 14” of ice

East was a smorgasbord of panfish. Pumpkinseeds bluegills yellows crappies and some keeper perch was what we kept there. Biggest hill was just under 10”. 14” of ice

Good luck to everyone out there and be safe!!

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 18, 2023, 09:33 AM »
Was up there on Saturday (1/14). Fished north end of West. The morning bite was slow. Picked up a couple nice gills and a decent perch. The evening bite was better. Managed to take a few crappies home but none were over 10.5".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.