Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Iowa Great Lakes  (Read 17870 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Iowa Great Lakes
« on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:39 AM »
Who's going today?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Iowa Great Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2021, 10:05 AM »
I am. Almost to Vics corner.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2021, 12:16 PM »
I am. Almost to Vics corner.

Nice was thinking about going......might wait till tomorrow,...just got done with kids BBall

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2021, 01:35 PM »
Is there a tournament? The number of dudes tearing around with no shack is through the roof.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2021, 03:42 PM »
There’s a big tourney on Emerson tomorrow. NAIFC

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2021, 04:23 PM »
Is there a tournament? The number of dudes tearing around with no shack is through the roof.

Yeah today and one tomorrow look on stan’s

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2021, 04:37 PM »
I deleted FB.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2021, 04:58 PM »
I deleted FB.

LOL..I've never had FB because all it does is get a person into problems or issues. My wife has an account so I use it to access facebook market place and Look at bait shop reports.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2021, 05:06 PM »
Facebook marketplace has gotten me into trouble several times. So I agree. But I deleted it because I'm an American and FB is anti-American.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:13 PM »
Facebook marketplace has gotten me into trouble several times. So I agree. But I deleted it because I'm an American and FB is anti-American.

Couldn't Agree more.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:20 PM »
So those of you who went/made it yesterday.

How was the access areas

How was the lake ice with snow

Was fishing worth a hoot?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2021, 08:24 AM »
I was on Emerson. Crusted over slush in places with water underneath,  one place the water was over 12" deep, got a couple of wet feet. Hardly any snow. Fishing was fantastic.  Of course conditions may be different on other lakes.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2021, 09:39 AM »
We're guys using wheelers yet? Ice still pretty safe or issues with it?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2021, 10:51 AM »
Quads and sleds everywhere being annoying, tearing around, making noise. Fishing a hole for 5 minutes then taking off.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2021, 11:26 AM »
Quads and sleds everywhere being annoying, tearing around, making noise. Fishing a hole for 5 minutes then taking off.

Yeah that's the tournament.....I'm still debating on going today....I might just relax since my back is soar/tweeted yet...,then go on Monday.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2021, 12:41 PM »
Do you not have a job?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2021, 06:08 PM »
Do you not have a job?

I did have a good one till there was a reduction enforce due to corona virus. Was laid off and got a good severance. I’ve had a lot of interest and interviews. Once you get to the hiring part for my field it’s the same.....we are putting the job on hold for now or the company has a hiring freeze. So hopefully with grain prices higher this Corona goes away and people start hiring. Being over qualified for jobs = nobody will hire you for a less job knowing you’ll be short term. Money isn’t an issue....just get board not working.

Sucks, but just enjoying the down time. My only gripe is not having 14+ inches of ice to get my wheel house out.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2021, 07:07 PM »
I did have a good one till there was a reduction enforce due to corona virus. Was laid off and got a good severance. I’ve had a lot of interest and interviews. Once you get to the hiring part for my field it’s the same.....we are putting the job on hold for now or the company has a hiring freeze. So hopefully with grain prices higher this Corona goes away and people start hiring. Being over qualified for jobs = nobody will hire you for a less job knowing you’ll be short term. Money isn’t an issue....just get board not working.

Sucks, but just enjoying the down time. My only gripe is not having 14+ inches of ice to get my wheel house out.
That sucks.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2021, 08:25 PM »
That sucks.

Eh....yes & no. I mean the time off to fish, hunt, and farm has been nice. Being able to actually use all the toys a guy bought....very nice.  Not dealing with every bodies problems....nice. Just how ag goes...being patient for the right opportunity.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:59 AM »
I'd lose my mind if I couldn't go to work. I love work.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2021, 09:07 AM »
You're a strange, strange man  :roflmao:

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2021, 09:25 AM »
You're a strange, strange man  :roflmao:

You sound like my mother and my wife.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2021, 01:32 PM »

Oh it sucks not having a Job. Fall was nice got to do plenty of farming. Once that was done hunting and fishing... I do get very stir crazy....but not much you can do when nobody is hiring. So enjoy the time I guess.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Fall would have killed me. I would have shot some deer, killed 100 pheasants then wondered what now. Work keeps me from having to duct tape the freezer shut like back when I was single.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:45 PM »
Fall would have killed me. I would have shot some deer, killed 100 pheasants then wondered what now. Work keeps me from having to duct tape the freezer shut like back when I was single.

By the time combine, tillage and all that was done....there was time for deer and pheasants....coulda used a bit more for early bow though

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2021, 09:19 PM »
I didn't grow up on a farm so I find all that boring. No way would I sit in a tractor all day.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2021, 04:38 PM »
I didn't grow up on a farm so I find all that boring. No way would I sit in a tractor all day.

Lol...you can tell if that’s what you think farming is. That be comparable to saying....I ‘d hate be an NBA player....you’d dribble all game.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2021, 04:55 PM »
Lol...you can tell if that’s what you think farming is. That be comparable to saying....I ‘d hate be an NBA player....you’d dribble all game.

Broken stuff... broken stuff as far as the eye can see.

Hey, I haven't used this corn sheller in 3 years... and it's somehow broken now, despite being fine last time we used it.  :roflmao:

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2021, 06:52 PM »
I know what farming is. I was my father in law's unhired man. I worked without pay.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2021, 10:53 PM »
I know what farming is. I was my father in law's unhired man. I worked without pay.

I see what your trying to say....but thats just labor......it's like a guy flipping burgers calling himself a chef. sure he flipped and cooked a burger....but he isn't a chef that planned, timed and cooked a full course meal. It's like the guy pounding nails in the cathedral........sayin g he built it....sure he "built it" but he didn't plan, designing or figure out the stuff that matters.

If it's a small farm operation there isn't much to it......but when you have scale.....it gets pretty complicated. Making sure everyone is effecient for fuel, labor, machine hrs, and time.  Timing things at harvest to fill contracts.....not harvesting to wet or to dry. Keeping trucking to a minnimum & trucking to the right place for the better price. Contracting fuel having it delivered to the fuel shuttles. Shipping or selling the grain....fertilizer pricing chem programs.

For example this fall/winter prepay, Having the connections and time to help with the pricing and negotiating.....I was able to shave $15,000 cost of the chem side for next year $20,000 off soybean seed purchases, and another $12,000 off seed corn purchases. Then the negotiation on when to pay vs when they want.....another $10,000 saved in less interest. All done while driving a tractor with GPS guidance.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.