New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 131253 times)

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #330 on: Apr 19, 2021, 08:09 AM »
I haven't but spoke to reiters marina and he has under 1' of water where his basin empties to creek out to main pond. He's being told to expect roughly an 8" rise in water then start dropping again late June. Sold our camp on Blind Creek last spring.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #331 on: Apr 21, 2021, 11:24 AM »
According to FB (I don't use it - but my wife does) The Channel Maintenance crew is beginning an emergency dredging TODAY with limited funds - and they're looking for donations.  Not sure that'll go over well...and just how much can they raise by crowd sourcing?  How much can you raise with folks throwing in $10 - 20 - 50 - $100...?
The equipment and the people who run them are expensive.

And speaking as someone who USED to camp waterside/waterfront...you cannot take on lake Ontario or Mother Nature...she wins EVERY TIME...!!!

I'm crossing my fingers that there is some level of resolution - there are just so many people impacted on the North And South ponds
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #332 on: Jul 01, 2021, 06:35 AM »

I was told All the marker buoys have been removed
 So enter an exit the pond at your own risk

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #333 on: Jul 01, 2021, 02:02 PM »
Yo Freddy,

If I were to launch at Green Point, I don’t think I could get to the cut. Three weeks ago I launched at Stanley and I beached my boat at the sandbar from the south side of the cut. I sat and watched 2 bass boats who basically lifted there motors and poked there way to the cut with their oars. Not looking good at all. I’ve been fishing Henderson the last 2 weeks but the bite has dried up there too.

How are you doing?

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #334 on: Jul 02, 2021, 04:15 AM »

Thanks Jim for the heads up

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #335 on: Jul 02, 2021, 05:08 AM »
Yo Jim how come you haven’t been on MFF pal??
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #336 on: Oct 31, 2021, 01:12 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Just a little reminder, winter’s crusty cold weather is not far off. We are getting our first three nights of freezing night time temps this week.

Good thing as the water temperature is quite warm for this time of year. ( November)

It’s been a tough summer on the Pond with a truncated dredging schedule and all. Big boats have bee pretty much marooned on the Pond this summer all lthough I can witness some long neck activity from my camp, it can’t make up for the economic damage to our local marinas and  businesses.
Personally, I haven’t been too faithful to the Pond this summer and fall. Some health issues and “old boat”issues have kept me camp bound the majority of the fishing season.

I would welcome some quips and comments from my fellow Sandy Ponders here in as to your fishing experiences this season.

As always, the eternal optimist in me looks forward to a great ice fishing season this year and I pray for thick ice and getting together with all my old fishing buds and meeting a bunch of new ones.

New old guy (aka) BOGGEY

Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #337 on: Oct 31, 2021, 06:48 AM »

Jim you will perk right up soon as the ice drilling starts

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #338 on: Oct 31, 2021, 07:39 AM »
Glad to see you JB…
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #339 on: Oct 31, 2021, 07:03 PM »
Good to hear from You Boggey!!!😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #340 on: Nov 01, 2021, 05:47 AM »
Yo KP,

Same my friend. Hope to keep things together for another good ice fishing season. Freezer is low. 2 bags of perch and one walley. Got to get myself busy.
Boggey

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #341 on: Nov 02, 2021, 01:09 PM »
Greetings and salutations fellow Pond Rats..!

Another summer come and gone - for the most part we were able to enjoy the pond, beach and LO unencumbered because the tri-toon floated us through the low water conditions.  Others did not fare so well if they had a deep hulled boat. :-\

We never did put together the summer beach reunion we talked about during the winter...maybe next season (?)

Here's an idea...maybe we put together a "Sandy Pond - Ice Shanty Classic" informal tournament :tipup:...no prizes...just a date on the calendar we circle in advance .

Obviously ice and weather dependent.  Whaddya think of them apples..?

I agree with previous post(s)...let's keep this a friendly, fish-centric, non political, all things Pond related forum.

Who is up for the "1st Annual Ice Shanty Classic" ?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #342 on: Nov 02, 2021, 01:14 PM »
...I should say... "1st Annual Sandy Pond Ice Shanty Classic"...

We could hold Executive "Bored" Meetings at the SPSA...no executives - just "bored" members  ;D ;D ;D

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #343 on: Nov 02, 2021, 04:19 PM »
hmmm  definitely interested never fished the pond  ???

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #344 on: Nov 03, 2021, 06:15 PM »
Hey Boggey great to see you here again. Hope nothing to serious health wise and that as the days cool off you feel better.
Like stated
The ice will be here soon and the sights and thoughts will have you making your rounds giving great reports and better stories.

I’m in for the tourney.
Be well

~perchin
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #345 on: Dec 01, 2021, 08:19 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals
Still here, chillin, those dark days twixt boat fishing and walking on water. I’ve had to satiate my fishing drive by fishing from shore since I winterized the Starcraft 2 weeks ago.

Lo and behold I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when one of my fishing buds from Clayton invited me out on the river for some deep water perch fishing.

Although we had to chase them , I managed a half pail . Grateful John did not put his boat up yet and even more grateful he invited me up to fish and share some tall tales, very tall tales.

That being said, now I am back to square one. Waiting for hard water. Water temps at this time are still abnormally high so I’m not anticipating an early entry on the Pond barring a week of continued sub zero temps, like that’s going to happen.

Traditionally I try to give myself an early Christmas present and get on the ice by December 17th. Hard to do on the Pond but paraphrasing Jimmy Buffet’s song “it’s always 5 o’clock somewhere”, I’ve always managed a trip up North to find 4 inches of hard water somewhere. I plan no different this year. Till then I will have to content myself with a little shore fishing or depend on a brave heart friend like John who puts his boat up at the last possible moment. Thanks John.

Don’t worry, I will be ever vigilant, giving ice updates on the Pond as soon as we get some.
Boggey

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #346 on: Dec 01, 2021, 01:23 PM »
Good to see folks logging on and paying attention.  We've seen a little skim ice here in the southern tier but obvi nothing to get excited about.
Have a trip planned to the ADK's this weekend (no fishing - baby-doll weekend) but I have heard rumors of intrepid fish warriors (read;insane?) thinking about traversing thin ice.  Good luck to them - but I'd wait.  There isn't a fish under that thin ice that's worth it.

Throwing it back out there - now that folks are checking in - that we should consider setting a date in advance for the "1st Annual Sandy Pond Ice Shanty Classic" fishing derby.   What do you all think?

No prizes - no fee's - just a date on the calendar we could circle and (weather/ice permitting) we show up at a designated time/place and just - go fishing.  I'd love to meet
some of the characters behind the posts.  And who knows - maybe we will catch a few fish or learn a thing or 2.

I know for a fact... having been a summer pond rat for 33+ years that I've prolly beached my boat or fished near you...or maybe even bought a round at Eddie's or the SPSA with some of you.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #347 on: Dec 01, 2021, 03:11 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals
Still here, chillin, those dark days twixt boat fishing and walking on water. I’ve had to satiate my fishing drive by fishing from shore since I winterized the Starcraft 2 weeks ago.

Lo and behold I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when one of my fishing buds from Clayton invited me out on the river for some deep water perch fishing.

Although we had to chase them , I managed a half pail . Grateful John did not put his boat up yet and even more grateful he invited me up to fish and share some tall tales, very tall tales.

That being said, now I am back to square one. Waiting for hard water. Water temps at this time are still abnormally high so I’m not anticipating an early entry on the Pond barring a week of continued sub zero temps, like that’s going to happen.

Traditionally I try to give myself an early Christmas present and get on the ice by December 17th. Hard to do on the Pond but paraphrasing Jimmy Buffet’s song “it’s always 5 o’clock somewhere”, I’ve always managed a trip up North to find 4 inches of hard water somewhere. I plan no different this year. Till then I will have to content myself with a little shore fishing or depend on a brave heart friend like John who puts his boat up at the last possible moment. Thanks John.

Don’t worry, I will be ever vigilant, giving ice updates on the Pond as soon as we get some.
Boggey
Man gear to hear you got out on the the river and caught a few bogey. It does stink the water is so warm. It’ll happen before we know it tho.😁 I’m normally on home ice right around Xmas but then it’s gone for a week or two. I’ll be looking for some northern ice as the month moves on.
Good to see folks logging on and paying attention.  We've seen a little skim ice here in the southern tier but obvi nothing to get excited about.
Have a trip planned to the ADK's this weekend (no fishing - baby-doll weekend) but I have heard rumors of intrepid fish warriors (read;insane?) thinking about traversing thin ice.  Good luck to them - but I'd wait.  There isn't a fish under that thin ice that's worth it.

Throwing it back out there - now that folks are checking in - that we should consider setting a date in advance for the "1st Annual Sandy Pond Ice Shanty Classic" fishing derby.   What do you all think?

No prizes - no fee's - just a date on the calendar we could circle and (weather/ice permitting) we show up at a designated time/place and just - go fishing.  I'd love to meet
some of the characters behind the posts.  And who knows - maybe we will catch a few fish or learn a thing or 2.

I know for a fact... having been a summer pond rat for 33+ years that I've prolly beached my boat or fished near you...or maybe even bought a round at Eddie's or the SPSA with some of you.
I was in last year for the classic I don’t see any reason not to go for it again.
Sounds good to me. I’m in.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #348 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:32 PM »
  Arkangle that sounds like a great idea.   I'm always up for a new patch of ice to explore    I've never seen the pond during winter, in fact it's been since the 80's that I've seen it at all   getting together with the chance to meet new folks sounds awsome

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #349 on: Dec 03, 2021, 10:28 AM »
Sounds good Angel, count me in.  If you're a regular at the beach or the cut during the summer, I'm sure I've seen you around.  And if you've bought a round at Eddies or SPSA, I'm positive we've seen each other. I may be a little familiar with the area(s)  :thumbsup:

Boggey, I'll be around for Xmas time, hopefully Xmas at camp if I can get the girls there for a few days. If not, I'll still be around at some point, I'll find you, might even have a xmas venison treat for you and the better half.

Have a great weekend!!
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #350 on: Dec 06, 2021, 08:27 AM »
Yo Stu,
Got nothing to do but sort out last years ice fishing gear and get the flip ready to drag out on the ice. Looking forward to seeing you my friend. Think “cold” very cold as the 10 day forecast is not very promising.

Not to worry, I have my infinite pot of coffee on with my keurig cup maker. Cookies and always willing to give lessons on playing cribbage or pitch.😀😀

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #351 on: Dec 06, 2021, 11:35 AM »

Not to worry, I have my infinite pot of coffee on with my keurig cup maker. Cookies and always willing to give lessons on playing cribbage or pitch.😀😀

Don't think I've seen cribbage mentioned on the board before.  Its actually a fun game to play in the shanty when you've got some big bait out for pike and just waiting for the one.  Been playing in a weekly league for the last 10 years but most of the members are 20-30 years my senior.  There aren't too many people that seem to know it but I'd say its my favorite.
westernmas on the finder

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #352 on: Dec 06, 2021, 12:15 PM »

I haven’t played cribbage in a very long time , use to play for a little cash and drinks at the local watering hole

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #353 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:13 PM »
mama  says  gambling is  of the  devil !  thats  what mama says.......

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #354 on: Dec 07, 2021, 07:54 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Have you all seen the 10 day weather forecast? Got to be the horriblist, worstest weather projection an ice fishing person could imagine.

Well I guess I will have to make do With some more shore fishing. Shopping for a new shanty. Thinking of getting one of those hub shanty’s. Certainly a lot lighter than dragging that Shappell 2000 around.

Didn’t get 2 seasons out of my Arctic Ice Mucks . Don’t make them like they used to. My old pair of mucks lasted 6 seasons.
Oh yeh, made in China. Heck, everything is made in China. All for now. Waiting for ice.
Boggey

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #355 on: Dec 07, 2021, 08:26 PM »
I got a 1 person clam about 5 or 6 yrs ago  mice got into it 1st season and I patched it up as well as buying a new cover for when the patches failed.  So far the new cover is still in the box.  I have done a ton of fishing on days when I would normally not even think of fishing in that weather   I LOVE mine

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #356 on: Dec 08, 2021, 03:39 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Have you all seen the 10 day weather forecast? Got to be the horriblist, worstest weather projection an ice fishing person could imagine.

Well I guess I will have to make do With some more shore fishing. Shopping for a new shanty. Thinking of getting one of those hub shanty’s. Certainly a lot lighter than dragging that Shappell 2000 around.

Didn’t get 2 seasons out of my Arctic Ice Mucks . Don’t make them like they used to. My old pair of mucks lasted 6 seasons.
Oh yeh, made in China. Heck, everything is made in China. All for now. Waiting for ice.
Boggey
Yo boggey I have found that nothing lasts like it used to, hence the reason otter keeps warranting a seat part and sent me a new canvas when the zipper crapped out after not even a month.

Lol all of that for this. I have found it is all about the sled itself. My 2 man otter pull over I got to a point it pulls by hand easier then my 1 man.
I use skis to accomplish this. A buddy of mine uses the hyfax kit. Works good too
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #357 on: Dec 11, 2021, 06:02 AM »
I’m in for the pond get together,hello everyone glad to be back I just hope the fishing is better than my hunting season as ehd put a big hurt on the deer in Henderson.A new business opened up where Brewster was and it’s called Pond pit Barbecue,it is very good and friendly atmosphere.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #358 on: Dec 11, 2021, 08:47 AM »
Yo Jigger,

Glad to hear from you bud. Keep trying, you still got your muzzle tag to fill. Yeh, I’ve been watching them rebuild Brewsters all summer long. Based on your recommendation, I will have to stop and give it a try bud. After all they are just a quarter mile down the road from me.

Glad to see some entrepreneurial spirit in these tough economic conditions. I wish them luck.

Hey, is anybody else having a hard time logging in? I can’t seem to stay logged in. I have to re login every time . Yo Scott, what am I doing wrong?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #359 on: Dec 11, 2021, 09:33 AM »

Silly question but when you log in  are you checking the box stay logged in

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.