Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Northern Pike

Best Time of Day to Fish for Pike

<< < (3/3)

StrikeandCatch:
Thanks for all the great feedback guys! Morning to noon seems to be best for most of ya'all, and this also includes myself!

However, exceptions do occur, without a doubt! And in some venues, the complete opposite holds true!

When it comes to night pike, I mostly catch those during summer, sometimes in spring as well! Never during the cold seasons on the ice! That seems to be an absolute impossibility! :)

Tight lines
Max

esox_xtm:

--- Quote from: StrikeandCatch on Jan 02, 2021, 05:32 PM ---Thanks for all the great feedback guys! Morning to noon seems to be best for most of ya'all, and this also includes myself!

However, exceptions do occur, without a doubt! And in some venues, the complete opposite holds true!

When it comes to night pike, I mostly catch those during summer, sometimes in spring as well! Never during the cold seasons on the ice! That seems to be an absolute impossibility! :)

Tight lines
Max

--- End quote ---

Hey Max! I gotta say that the "edges of night" are usually best for a shallow bite. However, really good fishing can be had during the day bit that is generally deeper, following the baitfish.

A night bite on pike is very unusual. I did see one good one (39") caught through the ice about 8:30 pm CST or so several years back. But that's it. Even open water night bites for pike are uncommon. On the other hand night fishing for muskies can be... Spectacular!

river_scum:
night bite fairly common here.  when the crappie suddenly shut down, you can bet someone will get bit off. ;D  then crappie will start back up.

pierce1308:
Sunrise seem to be better for me than the sunset bite, but the best for me for quality northerns always seems to be that 10am-2pm window , the amount of times I've seen guys go home around 10 am from a slow morning only to have the lake to yourself and pop multiple fish in that low 30ich to mid 40 inch range at like 10 or 11 or from the 12-2pm shift

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version