Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Tipups

Missed strikes on the jaw jacker

<< < (2/3) > >>

Whytie:

--- Quote from: kayl on Dec 10, 2020, 10:58 AM ---Did you run any slack to give the fish time to eat it? (I use a bobber with a paper clip through it)

--- End quote ---

Kayl,

I didn't give any slack since the wind would blow the line off the trigger mechanism. do you have a way to keep it on? and I'll give the bobber idea a try next time I'm out.

Whytie:

--- Quote from: BH ICE 0507 on Dec 10, 2020, 11:08 AM ---Depends on the type of fish you're targeting. If you're getting trout to hit you're rarely going to lose strikes in my opinion cause they hammer the whole thing. If you have perch messing with your set up they will only bite the tail or tip of the minnow all day long and you'll never hook one. The most surefire way to set them every time is to give the fish nothing else to bite other than the hook (put a half a wax worm on a jig....). I'll also use pink plastics and a jig and tear off any tails of the plastic that the fish could hit that's not on the hook. If all that is still failing and you're super desperate you can put a size 18 treble as a stinger one inch below the jig..... just gotta give them nowhere else to grab onto but the hook.

Might also be worth mentioning the weight of the rod. Medium to medium heavy is the best in my opinion because it still has some give to fight the fish on its own but it has enough back bone to set the hook when it goes off.... let me know if your luck changes!

--- End quote ---

BH,

I'm targeting walleye's but had pike roam through. I'm also using a fiberglass 36" Med ugly stick (not the G2 ones they are too light) with a semi light drag set up so the fish can run a bit and not haul my rod down the hole.

BH ICE 0507:

--- Quote from: Whytie on Dec 10, 2020, 11:28 AM ---BH,

I'm targeting walleye's but had pike roam through. I'm also using a fiberglass 36" Med ugly stick (not the G2 ones they are too light) with a semi light drag set up so the fish can run a bit and not haul my rod down the hole.

--- End quote ---

If that's the case I'd pinch off the head of the minnow and do what aaron wiebe does--take off the treble from a flutter spoon put the hole of the hook through the back of the minnows mouth and out the front... that will give them nowhere else to grab... I'd be pretty damn shocked if a walleye is able to set that thing off without getting hooked. Are they hooking up and then shaking it before you get to it? Might be worth adding some bells or something to the rod so that you know immediately when you get one to pop

DowneastPescador:
It took me a while to dial in my jacker. Eventually I found that my 30 inch medium worked well and did a short 24inch medium stick. Depending on the the length of the rod adjust the jaw jacker often until your hooking up. Have a good bend but not a super extreme bend works well for me. I also set the jacker to not go off at the slightest touch, a fish will bump but not commit and set it off. Set it so it takes a full bite to trip the mechanism, fairly tight on the trigger screw.

DowneastPescador:
Oh and use a bare hook not a jig head.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version