Author Topic: eating smelts  (Read 14852 times)

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
eating smelts
« on: Feb 05, 2020, 08:02 PM »
Ive never had and we dont catch them up here

I do see them in the grocery store.  what is the best method to cook and how good are they?

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: eating smelts
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2020, 08:20 PM »
remove guts, leave heads, tails and fins on; dust with seasoned flour; fry in a 1/2 inch of oil for a few minutes; drain on paper towel; eat entire critter.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2020, 06:37 AM »
We don't have them in lakes here either, but when getting them at a store I make them pretty well the same as claymore6 described, dust in flour and fry in Crisco.
The gentleman from Japan posted a bunch of them fried up, they looked delicious, maybe he will chime in on how he prepares them.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2020, 09:13 PM »
We don't have them in lakes here either, but when getting them at a store I make them pretty well the same as claymore6 described, dust in flour and fry in Crisco.
The gentleman from Japan posted a bunch of them fried up, they looked delicious, maybe he will chime in on how he prepares them.

That was probably Niru 04, he has become a good friend of mine. Anyways,one of his recipes is "Nanbanzuke". You can Google it & make it yourself. It starts w/ Tempura fried Smelt. It is a bit 'Sloppy" by our standards,but it is delicious.It is eaten cold. Hoping to get him to cook me up some authentic Japanese smelt dishes ,next winter. He is coming to Mich. to fish w/ me.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2020, 10:43 AM »
speedy chik uses a pair of scissors, run it up the out shoot and down to head then use thumb to slide guts out. always keeping the scissor in hand. didn't see them cooking them.

phil, sounds like a great time!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2020, 10:58 AM »
I make a cut half way at a angle with scissors behind the head then run scissor from anus up to gills,grab head and pull down and it comes off with head and guts all in on motion.on real big smelt i freeze in water then rub the spine and ribs back and forth with my thumbs and the rip all the bones out in one pull.butterflied.cant do that fresh or it rips too muck meat out.has to be froze first.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2020, 03:56 AM »
speedy chik uses a pair of scissors, run it up the out shoot and down to head then use thumb to slide guts out. always keeping the scissor in hand. didn't see them cooking them.

phil, sounds like a great time!
I have a friend that jokingly makes fun of me for smelt fishing. He is always bragging about 'Speedy Chicks" Smelt, (its a chicken place in Battle Creek & Marshall, Mich. ) . Anyways, I gave him a few Gull Lake Smelt a couple of weeks ago, & he called me the next day, swearing that he would never make fun of me again ! The Smelt in Gull are running on avg. 7"  this year,I have been butterflying them before cooking,so I can pull the backbones out. Added bonus, they get real crispy !
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2020, 09:05 AM »
i grew up in vermont catching smelt, there is no need to take the bones out as cooking makes  them soft. try it you will see.
I am haunted by waters...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2020, 09:11 AM »
i grew up in vermont catching smelt, there is no need to take the bones out as cooking makes  them soft. try it you will see.
not on the big 8” plus smelt.plus i have diverticulitis so i have to pull the bones out.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2020, 05:40 AM »
not on the big 8” plus smelt.plus i have diverticulitis so i have to pull the bones out.

There is definitely more meat on an 8" plus size smelt.  The big ones are also generally the females and they also have a nice sized roe.

Anyway as per topic.  I like to give a light flour dusting and deep fry or seasoning and bake on a rack in the oven for not so oily.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2020, 06:38 AM »
I deep fry them, as I do most all of my fish. Battered or coated works.

The ones you find in stores and restaurants are commercially caught, usually from saltwaters. Not a fan of them. Inland lake freshwaters are better in my opinion. I love to catch 'em but don't eat many. They're good...but kinda rich for me. A little goes a long way.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.