The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Devils Lake trip mid Feb  (Read 3619 times)

Offline kriggan1

• IceShanty Rookie
Devils Lake trip mid Feb
« on: Feb 03, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Hey all, I am one of those who read your posts and replies but rarely put anything on here.  I wanted to surprise my son and take him to Devils Lake for a day or 2 of fishing and was going to do a guided trip at least one day so we could see what it was like to fish the lake, but when I googled guides in DL their calendars are all full on the days this month that he is out of school.  I am not looking for secrets spots but if we were to just make the drive up with our own equipment (I have a clam, auger, flasher) could we have some success by checking in at the local bait shops and a little search and destroy mission.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Devils Lake trip mid Feb
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Devil's lake in what state and/or canadian province?
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline kriggan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2018, 09:46 PM »
Devils Lake North Dakota

Offline Huntnfish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:41 AM »
A group of 7 of us went up there early March last year. I'm convinced with out using the Perch Patrol who we used, it would have been a waste of our time. For us Nebraskan's, too big of lake to fish without a guide who knows his way around. The one day it was so foggy without the guides GPS there is no way you could have gotten out or back. Considering how many locals followed us out each day it must be tough. Even though their calendar may say full, call Zippy up. Someone may cancel or they may have room not listed. Good Luck!! We caught some great fish and a lot of fish.

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:21 PM »
me and my brother will be up there starting Friday but we are fishing with a guide. I found this site called Devils Lake Fishing reports North Dakota / Catch More Fish. It is the third result that comes up.   You can buy way points from them. This might help you out? Check it out and good luck!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:26 PM »
Organized a trip with at least 12 people to Devil's Lake at least a decade ago via train. Was a fun trip, accommodations were great, and guides were great too. However I wasn't that impressed with the average size and quantity of the perch. I have bigger perch in my private pond. We actually did better in a nearby lake by the name of Lake Cavanaugh (sp?). 

Was blow away that the ice was 4 feet thick! Was still a fun trip!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:46 PM »
I understand the Big John had a "Follow me" type of rate last year if you had your own gear and transportation.  If that interests you you might want to contact him.  fishingguidedevilslake.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.