Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Northern Pike

Single Treble Rig

<< < (8/9) > >>

missoulafish:
The fish gods;)

esox_xtm:
We can run three lines in WI so I vary them a bit until a pattern emerges. My favorite question is "How deep ya fishin'?". About a foot and a half off the bottom is good for the lowest though I sometimes have success dangling a dead with it's nose in the mud. Sometimes 6' off the bottom is right and sometimes in heavy weeds I might set one just under the ice.

You are correct pike look and feed up most of the time. If you set up off a dropoff fish may suspend at the depth of the break even though the water is much deeper. For example, if the break is at 9' and you're over 30' fish will often cruise off the break at that 9' depth.

Now before anyone gets the wrong idea I'm not a know-it all. I was asked to share what I do and I have done that, plus I like to babble. Guaranteed there's more than one way to skin a cat or catch a pike. Way too many variables involved to pin success on one single thing be it line, hook, bait or tipup brand. Heck, I'd say location is probably 80% of it. The "Hot Hole" syndrome is alive and well. I've seen folks fishing the silliest stuff still catch fish because they got that hole. Seen a guy catch a dozen all out of the same hole and never get a flag on his other two lines. What's that tell ya? Location, location, location...

As for missoula? There's one in every crowd  ;)2 And as far as the "fish gods" asking him for his opinion I don't recall inviting him to chip in...  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: (Take it in the spirit it's given missoula, the door was open.  :P  If I really believed that I'd be so full of myself I couldn't live with me. What fun is it if you can't have a little fun?)

Iceassin:

--- Quote from: esox_xtm on Oct 26, 2018, 03:25 PM ---We can run three lines in WI so I vary them a bit until a pattern emerges. My favorite question is "How deep ya fishin'?". About a foot and a half off the bottom is good for the lowest though I sometimes have success dangling a dead with it's nose in the mud. Sometimes 6' off the bottom is right and sometimes in heavy weeds I might set one just under the ice.

You are correct pike look and feed up most of the time. If you set up off a dropoff fish may suspend at the depth of the break even though the water is much deeper. For example, if the break is at 9' and you're over 30' fish will often cruise off the break at that 9' depth.

Now before anyone gets the wrong idea I'm not a know-it all. I was asked to share what I do and I have done that, plus I like to babble. Guaranteed there's more than one way to skin a cat or catch a pike. Way too many variables involved to pin success on one single thing be it line, hook, bait or tipup brand. Heck, I'd say location is probably 80% of it. The "Hot Hole" syndrome is alive and well. I've seen folks fishing the silliest stuff still catch fish because they got that hole. Seen a guy catch a dozen all out of the same hole and never get a flag on his other two lines. What's that tell ya? Location, location, location...

As for missoula? There's one in every crowd  ;)2 And as far as the "fish gods" asking him for his opinion I don't recall inviting him to chip in...  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: (Take it in the spirit it's given missoula, the door was open.  :P  If I really believed that I'd be so full of myself I couldn't live with me. What fun is it if you can't have a little fun?)

--- End quote ---

Yup...3 lines in Michigan too...set up different depths most the time...will continue that approach.

Nope...you're right. I asked...you answered. Nobody here is full of anything...well...exce pt for "ol' what's his name". :whistle: But what do you expect? The guy lives in the friggin' mountains!!! Air ain't real plentiful up there.  ;D

esox_xtm:

--- Quote from: Iceassin on Oct 26, 2018, 03:42 PM ---Yup...3 lines in Michigan too...set up different depths most the time...will continue that approach.

Nope...you're right. I asked...you answered. Nobody here is full of anything...well...exce pt for "ol' what's his name". :whistle: But what do you expect? The guy lives in the friggin' mountains!!! Air ain't real plentiful up there.  ;D

--- End quote ---

C'mon man, give the guy a break. He's just as entitled here as anyone else. Besides, like I said, I ain't too old to learn a new trick or two. No tellin' where they might come from either.

Iceassin:

--- Quote from: esox_xtm on Oct 26, 2018, 04:25 PM ---C'mon man, give the guy a break. He's just as entitled here as anyone else. Besides, like I said, I ain't too old to learn a new trick or two. No tellin' where they might come from either.

--- End quote ---

Ok, ok...I'll lay off 'im...for awhile. He does have some good pointers as well. Guarenteed he's hoisted more toothies through a hole than I have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version