Author Topic: 7x8 shanty build  (Read 22176 times)

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 7x8 shanty build
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:11 PM »

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:24 PM »
I was out again the other day, this time with a 5" computer fan. Unfortunately the deep cycle battery was completely dead so I didn't get a chance to try it. The battery gave me 8 seasons powering my minnkota trolling motor on my 12' tinner so I hope it was just an old battery and not the solar panel or solar controller that crapped out.

Anyway, my wife and I spent the weekend out there and had a great time. The weather on Saturday was beautiful, we caught about a dozen walleye, and the shack performed great. We played cards and cooked breakfast on the fold down table, and the fold down bed was plenty big enough for two. There isn't a lot of floor space left with the bed down but I had a tip up in one hole all night long.

The wood stove almost cooked us out again. I'm using a cylinder stove and was burning pressed wood firelogs that worked great!! They were the 6 pound blocks from Canawick, about 4"x4"x10", and we got about 7-8 hours of burn time with them with the damper fully closed and the air vent only open a crack. I loaded the stove with one block shortly after midnight, and when I checked it at 6 am there was still about 1/3 of it left. The temp in the shack at that time was 23C at the seat height and I had slept the entire night on top of my sleeping bag, not in it. Overnight temps went down to about -10C.

We did have one block that took a while to light so I threw in a few pieces of cedar and opened the damper and air vents all the way. About 10 minutes later it was burning great and the temp at the ceiling was 41C!! Had to open the door for a bit...

That's it until I head out again...

The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:14 PM »
That's awesome !
Hope you enjoy it every chance you get !
Great pictures

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:35 PM »
Good to hear the shack works well. How far are you from home to stay the night?

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:02 AM »
I'm about 50 minutes from the shack...

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:29 AM »
I've got about seventy miles to the lake. I'll be taking the shack with me every time. Last mountain lake has many places to fish, like to be mobile. Getting anxious to get it done.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:35 PM »
you guys have it rough , i'm 6 minutes away from my hut by ATV ,  makes for some fun trips

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:10 PM »
It was a sad day today... we took the shack off the lake.

My wife and I spent 6 weekends camped out on the ice and I was out with the guys another 3 times - that's the most ice fishing I've ever done in one year. We never kept track of how many fish we caught but we had a pretty good season. The walleye in Pigeon Lake are looking really good, lots of variation in size which is nice to see. We didn't catch as many pike as we usually do but I did manage a fat 32" that was pushing 10 lbs. Unfortunately we didn't see a whitefish or burbot all season. I was hoping to take a few whites home for the smoker but it will have to wait for next year.

The shack worked great. The fold down table was perfect for cooking or eating, with lots of room for the flasher and camera, and the fold down Murphy bed kept my wife comfortable and happy - she was surprised that she enjoyed staying out there as much as she did.

I have a few ideas for some minor modifications for next year, nothing major but stay tuned for further updates.

Offline DBerkshire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jul 07, 2018, 12:08 PM »
The more I look at designs for shacks the more I realize this is the style I would like to build mine around. Are there any updates on buildings plans for your shack? If so, I'd love to learn more!

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jul 08, 2018, 11:13 PM »
I have the original set of plans that I drew up but I made some changes during the build and have not updated the drawings yet. Initially it was designed to fit through my 7' high garage door but I ended up building it in my dads shop and didn't have to worry about height so we changed some angles and got more headroom. I'll try and get some drawings posted soon.

Offline Wallys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Sep 09, 2018, 09:32 PM »
Nicely done I love it . Do you have the measurements by change . Soon I'm going to start building and it would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance !!

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 21, 2019, 04:00 PM »
Looks good, maybe I missed it on above discussions, but how do you get in into the ice and then back onto the truck/trailer?

I built a 2-2x6 beam, added a piece of plate steel and mounted a 2000lb winch to it. This sits on top of the box and is strapped to my camper tie downs while some stakes in the pockets of the box keep it from sliding forward. Then I winch it up some ramps and into the box.

To get it off the truck I drill a hole in the ice and drop a piece of timber down the hole with a ratchet strap around it, strap the winch down to the ice and pull the shack off the truck. If there is enough ice this weekend I'll take some pics of the unloading process.

2019 update - I have a few things to fix and add to the shack this week before I get out fishing - I'm going to redo the door to get a better seal, add an outdoor shelf for the campstove/BBQ, add a rheostat to the computer fan so I can adjust the speed depending on the indoor temps, add a vent or two up near the ceiling, maybe add some more shelving inside.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:31 PM »
The computer fan I installed last year at the ceiling didn't work as well as I was hoping. It was too close to the ceiling to push any air and we still had cold air at the floor, so this year I ran some ducting from near the ceiling to the floor and mounted the fan to the top. It's gonna take the hot air near the ceiling and push it down to the floor, hopefully will keep my wife's feet warm and the holes from freezing. I also added a rheostat so I can control the fan speed.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:34 PM »

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Great idea let us know how well it works , you may have the ultimate solution!
Thanks for the pics

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14, 2019, 03:58 PM »
Finally got my shack on the ice today and the forced air system works great!

It was -15C (5F) before I lit the wood stove, now I have 38C (100F) hot air warming the floor area. The temps at 25C (77F) are quite even from the floor to the 4’-0” high point, higher than that and there is a definite increase in temp.

The fan is a little loud but it’s tolerable at half speed. Any higher than that and it blows way too much air.

Marked a few fish when I was deciding where to put the shack. Been fishing for a couple hours and it’s slow, I have only seen one on the camera and had a few faint signals on the flasher.

At least the holes aren’t icing up at all.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2019, 02:13 AM »
That forced air system is pretty slick!  Great idea!

Hope the fish cooperate!
Jason

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 23, 2021, 11:57 AM »
Shanty update! I tricked it out a bit more this summer.

The plywood on the roof was really starting to weather so I moved the solar panel to the wall and shingled the roof. The outside also got a fresh coat of stain.

Everything inside was re-wired (no more crimped connectors!) and every connection is soldered and wrapped with heat shrink. I added a switch panel and some LED strip lights and moved one of the existing lights to underneath the shelf for my wife's reading light. I also added an inverter to power the 19" flat screen I found at a garage sale and hard-wired the underwater camera to the 12v deep cycle battery. The TV is mounted to a cabinet that contains the fuse panel/wiring/etc as well as a couple extra shelves inside.

Finally, I picked up some mesh catch covers this year so hopefully no more items falling into the holes.

I'm still looking for a cheap TV antenna so I can hopefully pick up the hockey game when it's too dark outside for the underwater camera, and I want to mount a fold-down countertop outside for the camp stove and maybe add some exterior lighting.

Then the tilt deck trailer got some love with new bearings, tires and lights!

Here's hoping for early ice!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Nov 24, 2021, 06:00 AM »
It sounds like you will be prepared when the time comes!  Our lake just completely froze over 2 days ago, with the milder than usual weather, ice shack season is still a ways off, at this same time in 2008 we already had 8" of ice.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 27, 2021, 06:29 PM »
Great minds think alike !  Love the up grades . keep posting pics !

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 01, 2021, 12:58 PM »
Got the fold down outside shelf installed for the barbeque or camp stove.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 07, 2021, 04:24 PM »
Will be great to use for cleaning fish or a portable BBQ !

Offline krisb110

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 23, 2022, 08:44 PM »
I'm loving the updates!  You've built pretty much what I've been building in my head and starting to sketch out!  I'm hoping to build one light enough to to tow with my snow machine, looking at a 6x10-ish.  Looking forward to how the updates work for you!

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 23, 2022, 11:09 PM »
Nice, I bought one very similar this year, have done a few mods to it so far and it's nice to fish out of. Will not get my roofing and painting done until next summer.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:22 AM »
I'm loving the updates!  You've built pretty much what I've been building in my head and starting to sketch out!  I'm hoping to build one light enough to to tow with my snow machine, looking at a 6x10-ish.  Looking forward to how the updates work for you!

sent you a PM

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:26 AM »
We've camped out on the ice three weekends so far this year. We're on Gull Lake on the east end of the shanty village at Brownlow's Landing. Been seeing lots of fish compared to previous years, not much for walleye but a lot more perch than before, as well as burbot, whitefish and pike, but the catching has been slow.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 27, 2022, 12:29 PM »
Nice, I bought one very similar this year, have done a few mods to it so far and it's nice to fish out of. Will not get my roofing and painting done until next summer.

Got the shack painted, added another window and some insulation. All ready to go, last word was about 8" on the small lakes around here, but got some -20 to -25 weather coming in a couple days so that should add some more ice. Gerneral hunting season is over on the 30th so maybe get the shack out the week after that. 

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Nov 28, 2022, 01:35 PM »
Lookin' good!

I bought a chinese diesel heater for my shack this year and have it mostly installed, just need to run one more duct. Hopefully it works great and I'll be able to remove the wood stove and gain some extra space inside.

Offline amberlybuddy84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 04, 2023, 12:03 AM »
Looks like my dad's old one, I've been wanting to build one for a long time now. Just no idea where to start. I have wood just gotta piece something together. Amazing job looks perfect

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 04, 2023, 11:39 AM »
Looks like my dad's old one, I've been wanting to build one for a long time now. Just no idea where to start. I have wood just gotta piece something together. Amazing job looks perfect

sent you a PM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.