The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fishing update  (Read 5332 times)

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
Fishing update
« on: Dec 23, 2005, 05:26 PM »
Well I fished Whitewood yesterday and Siani today.  I didn't have much luck on either but some other people did.  I guess that yesterday some group caught their limits on both Whitewood and Sinai, that was confirmed by the baitshop in Lake Preston.  I saw some nice perch come out of Sinai today caught on waxworms in the morning.  We graphed a lot of fish but couldn't get them to bite.  Whitewood has about 12-14 inches of ice and people are driving on it.  Siani has about 8-10".  It looks like a lot of hit and miss fishing right now, no super hot bites but some fish are being caught.  Thats it for now.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fishing update
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2005, 10:44 AM »
Good update Major - even though ya didn't have much luck, I'll bet you'll slay 'em next time  ;).  Where abouts are Whitewood and Sinai?  I've heard lots about them, but never fished them....

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:13 PM »
I know this reply is late but.......Siani and Whitewood are north of Madison, one on either side of hiway 81 a few miles.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:21 PM »
Awesome.  I'm gonna be heading out tomorrow morning to Beaver and possibly Scotts too... maybe I'll try Whitewood while I'm out and about... I've never fished either of those three... so any pointers you might have to pass around would be greatly appreciated!!!  ;D

You been out lately??

Offline Berke99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2006, 05:04 PM »
I just talked to a guy today that said he caught nice perch on Scotts within the last few days. He said he was out in the middle and was using wax worms. Said he lost a nice walleye at the ice too. I personally have never had much luck there. My son was there yesterday- fishing with minows and never got a bite. Good Luck.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2006, 05:09 PM »
Thanks Berkee!  That's helpful enough to know that it might be worth trying!  I'm perfectly happy not even catching fish - as long as I'm on the ice enjoying myself ;).

Am I incorrect that I once read/heard somewhere that either Beaver or Scotts had a natural spring in it or something?

Offline Berke99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2006, 05:21 PM »
Can't help you out with the springs because I don't know. Sorry.

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2006, 05:57 PM »
i doubt its scotts slough, it seems like that lake gets lower and lower every year, anyone noticed the new island with all the birds on it this year? ;D

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:01 AM »
I heard there were some fish being caught at Beaver, crappie and perch.  I fished it one morning last week, only moved a couple of times but didn't graph a fish.  I didn't really walk that much either, I fished mainly out from the boat ramp.  I drove by Scott's and only saw a couple of shacks out there.  I heard that Lake Lakota, south of Canton, was producing some perch and crappie.  That was just a rumor, I haven't been out there yet. 

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2006, 06:30 PM »
Can't help you out with the springs because I don't know. Sorry.

No prob.  I'm not sure where I heard this from but I remember hearing about some lake/slough around here that had a natural spring in it....  ???

Doesn't really matter much though anyways as I wasn't able to get out today :(.  I have this nagging back injury that acts up like a couple times a year and late last night I couldn't hardly move and today I'm getting around to moving a little bit, lol. By this weekend I should be good-to-go and come Monday when I get back from Waubay I'm gonna hit up Scotts and Beaver, possibly head up to that Henry WPA near Salem area as I've heard perch are doing good up there...

Hope ya do better @ Beaver next time ya get out there major :).  At least ya got out though right!!!  ;D

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2006, 07:09 PM »
Do you have directions to the henry wpa? Havent heard of it.I do know of a wpa north of salem ,but dont know the name.I have fri.sat and sunday off to go fishing.Think its gonna be burke during the day anf the fort in the evening on friday.Not sure about the rest of the weekend.

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:00 PM »
The Henry WPA that I have been hearing about is also called Larson Slough.  It is about 19 miles straight west of Chester.  It is on the north side of the road.  I am sure there will be people fishing it so you can't miss it.  There is an access on the west side and one on the north side.  I haven't been there in a couple of years but I have heard there are nice perch in there if you can find em. 

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:22 PM »
ok,I have heard of a henry by scotland,Im assuming this is the same one.I just wondered when he said salem ,cuz thats only 30 miles from me and I figured I woulda known about it.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:25 PM »
Actually I just got a SD gazetter and topgraphic map book today.. Here's the directions from this, and there are several other ways to get there, however, this would be easiest and not to mention have the best plowed road conditions if roads are crappy....

1.  Take Highway 81 North out of Salem (approx 10-13 miles).
2.  Hang a right on the Franklin road and head east about 2-3 miles (approx).
3.  Take the 1st paved road North after you turn right on Franklin.  This should take you right to the Henry WPA according to the topo book I have...

An alternative route:
1.  Head north out of Humboldt on Highway 19 (approx 15-17 miles).
2.  Hang left on Franklin road (next to horse coral).
3.  Keep going west about 10 miles and you'll see that paved highway described in the 1st instructions.  According to my topo map, after you turn left on to Franklin and head west, it would be your fourth paved road... with several gravel roads in between.

Hope this helps - if anyone can add to this or better describe in detail please do so!

-WF.

PS - Major - also according to this topo I have - you would be 100% correct on your assumption, although it doesn't indicate Larson Slough, it looks like it would be close to 20miles or so... and also on the north side of the road. 

PSS - The Henry WPA is NOT the same as the one in Scotland.  There is a Lake Henry in Scotland, the Henry WPA (Salem), and  a Lake Henry attached to Lake Thompson.  Last night I was confused as heck about it all... after I've looked at this map though I think I got it straight!! LOL

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2006, 11:06 PM »
Ok,that is the one I was thinking of by salem,just didnt know it was called that.You have heard good reports ? Last year it was about dry and we barly marked a fish.Hmmm,maybe the stocked it. How good is your source? If its good I will be there sat.

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2006, 03:06 PM »
My cousins fished it on monday and here is what they told me.  They parked on the west side access and fished out from there.  They caught 2 smaller perch.  When they left they heard there was better luck on the north side.  When I fished there 2 years ago I fished the north side.  Lots of dead trees around and we had a couple of nibbles and ended up catching 1 stinky yellowbelly.  >:(

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2006, 05:08 PM »
Did they say how the water level was? Last year it was pretty low.Down by the trees is were we had our best luck.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2006, 10:20 PM »
Ok,that is the one I was thinking of by salem,just didnt know it was called that.You have heard good reports ? Last year it was about dry and we barly marked a fish.Hmmm,maybe the stocked it. How good is your source? If its good I will be there sat.

I actually haven't heard any reports, except for the ones I've read on a few other sites. One is DA run by Todd Heidekamp (sp?).  Web URL is http://www.dakotaangler.com.  Click the link for forum and ya should be good to go!!!  I'm hoping to try it out when I get back from Waubay sometime Monday morning/early afternoon if I'm lucky.... Would also like to check out Scotts SLough and possibly Beaver... if you're interested lemme know and we can meet up!

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:55 AM »
They didn't say how low the water was on Henry WPA.  The thing with dakotaangler.com is that sometimes it doesn't get updated very often and we all know that if you don't act quick the bite could be over in a heartbeat.  I checked it last night and the reports were updated last Sunday.  Otherwise I like the site, they have some great photos of recent catches in the area.  Those are fun to see.  Maybe someday I will get my pic up there.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Well, I am not impressed with burke lake, Lots of little buggers,few crappies in the "barely" keepable size. I can cross that lake off my list....Anyone make it to wpa henry ? How bought Lehrmans slough? Anyone got any plans for Sat.?

stump

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:03 PM »
LOL,Well another lake to cross off the list,for now,Went to wpa henry today and had fish on the flasher all day.BUT,NOT ONE BITE. there had to be 200 trucks there today.only heard of 2 fish being caught.I think it will eventually turn on,but......when?Went to mitchell lake on the way home and same story,marked fish but no bites.Maybe just a weather thing?

stump
ANYONE been anywere else?

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2006, 10:35 PM »
Well we tried Wall Lake and Loss Lake (south of Humbolt).  Nothing marked on Wall Lake and all we could catch on Loss Lake were 4" perch.  I have caught some small perch before but not like these.  I have had some minnows bigger than these perch   :D.  My uncle did catch a 25" catfish on the south side which was kinda funny.  Going to try Lakota or Alvin tomorrow.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2006, 02:57 PM »
I just got back from Waubay last night.  I'll post how I did in that thread.  Wanted to get out to Scotts or Beaver today but was unable to.  Maybe sometime later this week or weekend.  Has anyone got any idea on how the ice conditions are around the SF area here?  I can't imagine they still wouldn't be safe for walking?  We've had some decently cool nights and a few days lately still...

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:24 PM »
fished Lakota south of Canton on sunday.  Ice was a good 8-9" and seemed solid.  Walking and ATVs as of then.  I hope it  cools off a little though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.