Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Southwest Iowa; places to try this winter  (Read 17103 times)

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Southwest Iowa; places to try this winter
« Reply #60 on: Dec 23, 2013, 08:02 PM »
mile hill had 5"+ Over 2 weeks ago when I was out the, fishing was really slow at that point though.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #61 on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Might try it out this afternoon. I will post my luck later.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #62 on: Dec 25, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Got out on county lake today ( sw) , awesome day with high temps and lots of ice had 10-11 inches
All fish were in the 15-20 foot range , nothing shallow ,,  bait was darters , jig and plastics ( glow head /glow body)
Caught yellows, gills , pumpkinseed , green sunnies , crappie , and largemouth
All fish were really tight to cover and as clouds moved in and wind picked up the bite slowed   Fished 9 am- 1:30
Released all fish.
 .  Merry Christmas Guys.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #63 on: Dec 25, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Bite was hot tonight fish we small. Hockey puck bluegill but bit was a blast pulling them up

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 27, 2013, 04:12 AM »
Bite was hot tonight fish we small. Hockey puck bluegill but bit was a blast pulling them up

fishing on Mile Hill?

Offline duckaholic76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:32 AM »
How do you guys think these warm days will have affected our ice

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #66 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:42 AM »
It will not affect.   If anything it will melt snow    Most area lakes have 8-14 " of ice.  Just stay away from white ice
Be safe.  Good luck

Offline ice_cat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 27, 2013, 10:58 AM »
Thanks for the good reports percival lake has always been good as well as the pit on hwy 2 by the nebraska city bridge a guy at work said they both have good number of big waleye he caught this past summer... I plan to hit these 2 spots sometime soon this week...

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #68 on: Dec 27, 2013, 01:56 PM »
No that's wasn't mile hill. I was on a farm pond. Good bit today until 10. Started getting sloppy gave up at noon.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #69 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:46 PM »
The pits  by NE city bridge got inundated by flood water in "10" and did have a few sauger in them , But also got tons of shad and silver carp and all kinds of trash fish , tons of gar .   I'm sure a few still are in there but who wants to deal with Gar.?

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #70 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:53 PM »
Hit manaswamp today tons of ice , 12-14 " , little slush on top , had a yellow bite going , moved about 30 ft and started smashing crappie . 
All 9-13 " released all .
6-8 fow .   

Offline woody_22_bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Dec 28, 2013, 03:49 AM »
Anyone have an ice update from pony creek?

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #72 on: Dec 28, 2013, 11:04 AM »
Haven't been by Pony yet this year. I was just on a small pond east of council bluffs. 10 inch ice and a friend and I got 50 keeper gills. From 8 am till 10 am. Just a nice little Saturday morning.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #73 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:22 AM »
Woody.  Ponys got ice BUT it's tough.  Prob have better luck at manawa or some of the county lakes east.  It got absolutely pounded at first ice.  I seen tons of fish taken out. Good luck.  Post up how you do

Offline bmk1976

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Hit Viking Lake yesterday. Ice was solid 6". Fished off 2nd jetty west of the Restaurant and got skunked. My goal this year is to figure this lake out, I have had a lot of success at this lake during open water and can't seem to get anything going during the winter months.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:12 AM »
I'm going to fish around Glenwood area today if anyone wants to join me (Brian)...probably hit mile hill, pony creek, fulsom and maybe a pond or two south of glenwood...won't be able to get out til about 11:30am..I'll be in grey dodge durango and if I'm in shack it will be blue colored fish trap. send me PMessage and I can give you my cell # to call or text me. temps supposed to be warmer today anyway with low pressure coming in with new front arriving.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #76 on: Jan 01, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Picked up 24 of both of these today.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #77 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:13 PM »
I will bet you had more fish than you had beer at the end of the day LOL Nice gills
Never to many short poles

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #78 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:15 PM »
Has anyone fished lake of three fires in Taylor count it should be getting good after the overhaul they did several years back ???
Never to many short poles

Offline ClamGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:43 AM »
Gonna be hitting pony creek later this morning. Anyone been down there?

Offline John90

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Good luck. Pony creek got slammed first ice and it hasn't been good since... Just a heads up

Offline cking737

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 07, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Hey guys.  I'm originally from Glenwood and now live in Omaha.  Bert's summary of the area lakes were spot on.  I thought those PJ lakes were private.  Well, atleast the pond on the south end of the railroad tracks.  I've actually put one of those two man bass raider boats on the race track pond for open water and we caught large crappies and bass.  I would assume the bluegill population would be strong because there is quite a bit of vegetation around the edges.  When the track flooded a couple years ago there were fish up in the lookout towers on the track.  I would assume there might be some river rough fish in there now.  Another place that I've had pretty good luck on the ice was Pinky's Glenn lake just on the west side of Tabor.  I caught quite a few very large bluegills out there last year.  Quite a bit of flooded timber that is near the ramp area as well as two coves further toward the east and south that have flooded timber as well.  I would assume there is a good population of crappies in there as well due to the cover and the depths in that lake go into the 30ft area.  I would never use that lake for open water because the boat ramp sucks but it's pretty good for ice fishing.

Gohawks, you are right the sand pit pond south west of race track in pj is private. Use to be great for big crappie but thanks to flood it got tough.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #82 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:26 PM »
Gohawks, you are right the sand pit pond south west of race track in pj is private. Use to be great for big crappie but thanks to flood it got tough.

I think he was talking about the 3 ponds right off of I29  The north 2 or private but the south one is owed by Iowa Conservation Commission (DNR).  I have fished it in the summer but there is no good way to get to it.  That sandpit more south and west does look like a good hole though...

Offline gohawks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:47 PM »
I figured the one to the south and west was private just by looking at Google Maps.  It looked like there was a gate to it.  LarryClutch was right...I was talking about the 3 sandpits right along the interstate. 

The furthest south pit is owned by the DNR???  Unless you either pulled off the interstate and drug your gear down the hill or rode in by train on the tracks, that looks like a hassle to get to...not saying I wouldn't try if I knew it had fish and was public.  lol

I've fished the most northern of the 3 on open water before the flood when I had permission.  I'd like to fish it again just to see what the flood did to the quality of fish. 

That said...this weekend looks real nice!  Almost t-shirt and a stocking hat type of weather compared the last couple weekends we've had.
I thought I had the catch of a lifetime...then I threw her back so I could spend more time fishing  ;)

Offline cking737

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:57 PM »
I can get you in on the one of them. As long as all trash is picked up and if you catch fish you let me in on it. ;D

Offline ClamGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Anyone been to pinkeys glen recently?  We are headed that way Saturday morning. Thanks.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #86 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:06 AM »
i think you will do well , not a ton of presure this year , BUT stay on main lake the fish tend to relate to main lake .
Main lake north side . Good luck

Offline FishinFFP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:09 PM »
This ones for you J.G.   Has anybody been to Viking yet? Looking for any help, may hit it up this weekend

Offline vics

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:39 PM »
Went to Pinkies once this year. Nice gills in there. Stay left into creek. Not too far in and fish in 15-17 fow. You should do well.

Offline ClamGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Hit pinkey's glen this morning.  Perfect day to be on the ice!  13' of clear solid ice.  only caught gills, but they were HEFTY.  I will be going back soon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.