Author Topic: Favorite LMB Ice Jigs/Lures  (Read 15868 times)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Favorite LMB Ice Jigs/Lures
« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2016, 09:39 PM »
I think I'm going to have a jump on the chubby darter wagon. Last week I was on a really tough bite, many lookers but no takers. I couldn't get anything to commit on any of my rattle spoon color or sizes, or the slender or tingler spoons. Went down to my jigs, smaller and smaller. Then at the end, I reached for the "mini crank baits" box and tied on the  number 3 chubby darter. Immediately I started catching everything that showed on the graph. From smallish through medium perch and pumpkin seeds to large golden shiners! 

Really surprised they took a lure of that size (I did add some wax worms to the hook like I always do).  I also proceeds to catch some nice sized bass as well.

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 14, 2016, 01:30 PM »
I almost exclusively fish the Rapala jigging SHAD rap.Plain out catches bass.

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2020, 06:17 PM »
so i see that this has not been active for a while. kind of intrigued by the results people got with the chubby darters and other lipless crank baits. in process of procuring some to try. what size trebles are you changing the stock ones to? any more insights? one of my goals this year is to target bass more. I have a general idea where they are and what depths to try. I catch them often on minnows on tip ups on the lake i fish. interested in hooking up on the jigging rod more.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2020, 06:44 AM »
Funny to see this thread popping up from the depths! The Chubby Darter is still one of my go-to lures. Focused on Walleye last season and the Chubby Darter was the first lure down the hole. Sorry, I don't have any hook models when upgrading the hooks on the small Darters, but when I don't swap them out, I pay with lost fish.

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #34 on: Dec 28, 2020, 05:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply, ordered a small assortment of sizes and colors. i will report back in, hoping for some action. now i just need some safe ice.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 02, 2021, 07:35 PM »
so i see that this has not been active for a while. kind of intrigued by the results people got with the chubby darters and other lipless crank baits. in process of procuring some to try. what size trebles are you changing the stock ones to? any more insights? one of my goals this year is to target bass more. I have a general idea where they are and what depths to try. I catch them often on minnows on tip ups on the lake i fish. interested in hooking up on the jigging rod more.

If you can find them schooled up it's about the most fun you can have.  I like to hole hop and jig pretty agressive, a few good long pulls to get the rattles going then a pause, rinse and repeat a few time and move on.  Rattling spoons seem to work pretty well too.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 02, 2021, 08:39 PM »
How you fish the Chubby Darter is important; here is how I most often do, but it is not the only way.
I have posted this before;
Here is how I have been fishing them;

The cadence is 2 big arm sweeps (2-4ft), short pause (3-4 sec.), 5-6 "jerks" of about 4-6 inches, pause, then a short "vibration", then repeat. If in 2 or 3 cycles I don't mark fish or hook up, I move to the next hole. This is about what I start out with each trip out. One of the things that makes this lure work so well is when fished right it swims in a large circle, when you pause it turns and "swims" back to the "center".

I often keep a second rod rigged with a smaller jig and the few times that I could get it down to the fish that the Darter has "Called" in and could not get to hit, the fish I hooked were small.

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #37 on: Jan 03, 2021, 06:38 PM »
Lots of good nuggets of info on this thread, Always been a tip up guy and I am trying to expand my techniques. Thanks for the help.

Offline The Walri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 29, 2021, 09:10 PM »
Chubby Darter's usually one of my first lures down the hole when prospecting fish.  Haven't hooked up with many bass on it but it sure calls them in.  Gonna try stripernuts cadence tomorrow.  Thanks for the tip.

What's everyone's go-to darter color?  I like the yellow perch at the lakes I fish.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2021, 09:28 PM »
Perch is a safe bet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.