Author Topic: Time to get started  (Read 5219 times)

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Time to get started
« on: Sep 07, 2012, 02:07 PM »
 I have a few things that I need for the upcoming season. So I started checking off the list today by ordering a Jason Mitchell Elite Series 36 MH Mackinaw rod from Riverside Outdoors :thumbsup:

Looking forward to a great season.     

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
Re: Time to get started
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2012, 03:34 PM »
I have been watching the CT flyer to see if the Jiffy Auger I want will come on sale before I need it in what I am going to say will be late Nov early Dec for walking on traffic! Also trying to decide if I want to get the Humminbird 35 or bite the bullet and get the 55. Either way between getting on the ice last week (Hockey) and the smell of fall in the air I am intching to drop a line through a 8" hole  :tipup:

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2012, 05:42 PM »
I have a few things that I need for the upcoming season. So I started checking off the list today by ordering a Jason Mitchell Elite Series 36 MH Mackinaw rod from Riverside Outdoors :thumbsup:

Looking forward to a great season.     

Checked off number two today with an Abu Garcia BCX 5600 reel.
 Also picked up a few Tackle Industries Mini D's and a few one ounce Bionic Bucktails and Air-Plane jigs by Northland.

Here Fishy Fishy

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2012, 01:40 PM »
I am looking to purchase an ice suit / sno suit for our climate.  What are you guys wearing for -15 / -25 C weather?

I was thinking of the new Striker Ice Hardwater jacket and bibs.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2012, 01:45 PM »
I am looking to purchase an ice suit / sno suit for our climate.  What are you guys wearing for -15 / -25 C weather?

I was thinking of the new Striker Ice Hardwater jacket and bibs.

T shirt and sweat pants usually  ;) always 21*C in my shack, lol. On a serious note I have heard the striker stuff is good, I personally use an old pair of "Ski-Doo" bib snow pants, and an old insulated army jacket, warm as anything out there, not completly water resistant though.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2012, 01:54 PM »
T shirt and sweat pants usually  ;) always 21*C in my shack, lol. On a serious note I have heard the striker stuff is good, I personally use an old pair of "Ski-Doo" bib snow pants, and an old insulated army jacket, warm as anything out there, not completly water resistant though.
Just spray a crap load of camp dry all over them and you should be good.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2012, 02:03 PM »
Just spray a crap load of camp dry all over them and you should be good.

Ya I use the Kiwi brand waterproof spray, it seems to do the trick have to freshen it up once or twice a season.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Ya I use the Kiwi brand waterproof spray, it seems to do the trick have to freshen it up once or twice a season.
Ya I do all my gloves even when new because you can never be to waterproof.

Offline fish wrangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2012, 08:28 PM »
I got an Artic Armor suit last year and it was great. Lightweight, warm(to warm if your moving lots) and good mobility in it. havent used anything else so it's hard to compare but i've liked it so far.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2012, 12:33 PM »
I've fished in my Arctic Armour suit down to -30 last season and was quite comfortable. I didn't have to wear nearly as many layers as my old Work King suit at the same temperatures.

Exactly 2 months from now, I'll be drilling my first hole. Better start getting the tackle all organized again!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2012, 09:06 AM »
I got an Ice Armor suit last season at Bass Pro... it is awesome.
I managed to get the clam over to canvas mart and getting them to re-inforce a few things on it that I wasnt' happy with.
Startin to get myself geared up.
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2012, 06:34 AM »
I have been watching the CT flyer to see if the Jiffy Auger I want will come on sale before I need it in what I am going to say will be late Nov early Dec for walking on traffic! Also trying to decide if I want to get the Humminbird 35 or bite the bullet and get the 55. Either way between getting on the ice last week (Hockey) and the smell of fall in the air I am intching to drop a line through a 8" hole  :tipup:

I have the 45 and its great. If funds available i will get me a top of the line marcum cam.

Go to a 10 hole if your buying an auger. 8" is nice all around but when fishing for pike and whites, 10" is great for the pike for getting them up and the white fish when looking down the hole you will see more and better.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2012, 10:48 AM »
I have been scrounging the ads for the past few months and have managed to buy a few goodies.

1:  New in the Box Woods 7X7 pop up $150. 

2: 1 yr old Strikemaster 2 cw travel bag, 2 sets of blades and a sharpening tool  8 inch  $350  (this was a steal of a deal)

Did not need any of the above but come Dec. I will be selling my existing shanty and auger.   

Mean time I keep looking.  Also picked up a couple of Shimana 500 at the fishn hole sale last month.

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2012, 06:05 PM »
I need to replace my cam... at the end of last season the cam started leaking. (sigh) so.. either find a new fish tv7 compatible camera or replace with a MarCum LX-9 Sonar/Camera Combo  (drool).. that one is unlikely so prolly a VS380
have not found 100 feet of cable to be needed except at spray.. and then it was too dark at that depth to be of any help.
Fishing
           It's not life and death.

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2012, 08:02 PM »
I need to replace my cam... at the end of last season the cam started leaking. (sigh) so.. either find a new fish tv7 compatible camera or replace with a MarCum LX-9 Sonar/Camera Combo  (drool).. that one is unlikely so prolly a VS380
have not found 100 feet of cable to be needed except at spray.. and then it was too dark at that depth to be of any help.

The MarCum LX-9 Combo would be sweet.
There is still time to save those pennies.

Offline Sloughsharkjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "keeping it real"
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2012, 08:04 PM »

Hey Shack what's happening, hear from Crazy Chef lately. Go for the LX-9 (you only live once) ;D Long range forecasts say above average temps for Oct & Nov >:( ..... May be longer wait this year!

Offline saltwatercowboy68

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2012, 10:37 PM »

Hey Shackless I use the aquaview 7 at spray with the flood light that attaches to the bottom of the camera. I found it helps out big time. I think it was only $20 at wss

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2012, 08:49 AM »
I ordered  the new Striker Ice Hardwater jacket and bibs direct from Striker.   When it arrives I will comment on my first impressions and the sizing.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2012, 01:15 PM »
Bought a couple of 1 oz. Kramer Lake Stinger Bucktail Jigs today, one yellow and one white.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2012, 11:54 PM »
Hey Shack what's happening, hear from Crazy Chef lately. Go for the LX-9 (you only live once) ;D Long range forecasts say above average temps for Oct & Nov >:( ..... May be longer wait this year!

heya sloughshark.. nope .. havent heard from crazychef , but I would imagine contact will be established as soon as icve gets thick enough to get out there again.

how was your open water season?

Fishing
           It's not life and death.

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 08, 2012, 11:29 PM »
 There's an interesting lure by Sebile that's called the Vibrato.
 Has any one seen these on the shelf yet?

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 09, 2012, 01:57 PM »
http://www.sebileusa.com/vibrato.php

Interested, I'd check it out, I like the idea of the center mount and hooks front and back, won't miss the bite no matter which direction it comes from.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 10, 2012, 08:40 AM »
1" of snow on the ground this morning, and a high of +1 today in NB4, the countdown is on!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 10, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Snow up here..  The sky is clearing off and no doubt the snow will melt off.  The 270WSM is ready for the deer.
I am lining up the hooks and jigs.  Should make some purchases next week from the Fishin Hole.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #24 on: Oct 10, 2012, 09:54 AM »
WalleyeTom, I dropped by the Fishin' Hole at West Edmonton Mall yesterday and they are moving to a new location in 2-3 weeks and don't have any ice fishing gear out yet. They have it all open and ready at their new location.
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 10, 2012, 10:18 AM »
Swampy45,
Thanks for the info.  I usually go to 12719 97 Street, Edmonton location.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 10, 2012, 01:33 PM »
http://www.sebileusa.com/vibrato.php

Interested, I'd check it out, I like the idea of the center mount and hooks front and back, won't miss the bite no matter which direction it comes from.

I will give the retailers some time to stock their shelves but if I can't find any I will be ordering a couple for sure.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 10, 2012, 06:53 PM »
I will give the retailers some time to stock their shelves but if I can't find any I will be ordering a couple for sure.

Ya was asking the head at the CT fishing dept and he had no clue, I hope cabellas gets them in for ice season.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 11, 2012, 09:20 AM »
Ice on the bay this morning.   -12C / 10F     It will warm up and the ice melt off but it is a start.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 11, 2012, 12:38 PM »
Ya was asking the head at the CT fishing dept and he had no clue, I hope cabellas gets them in for ice season.

I will check with Allan at Riverside Outdoors in Thunder Bay and see if he can hook me up.
 I'll keep you posted DBK81.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.