Author Topic: Your best tip  (Read 92332 times)

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Your best tip
« Reply #300 on: Dec 05, 2017, 11:10 PM »
Probably the single best thing (next to using GPS) I have done when ice fishing is for the past 10 years or so I have been using  ice buster floats on all my lines. They work similar to a normal slip bobber expect the line slide is under the water preventing the line from freezing to the float. Hook percentage has went way up since using these, no more knee jerk hook-sets. I mostly fish out of a shack now which has rod holders, but if I am fishing on the open ice and have to leave the rod for a few minutes I just stick the rod butt in the snow and open the bail, preventing the rod from going down the hole.

Watching the flasher and float I have a pretty good idea what is going on down there, and can adjust the timing of hook set accordingly. They work great for kids as once you set the correct depth the presentation returns to that depth every time you lower the lure. Works good for teaching kids what to look for when determining when it is right to set the hook.

I also do not jerk my rod to set the hook, slowly reel rod tip down to the ice then just a gentle lift keeping tension on when you feel the weight. This technique does not rip the hook out of their mouth, and also if they miss the hook it stays in the strike zone allowing a second hit sometimes.

I try and have them weighted so only about an 1" or so of the float sticks out of the water and the pencil shape design offers very little to no resistance when the fish pulls down on the lure/float.
If the bite is really light you can adjust the floats so they lay flat on the water and then stand up when the fish is taking the lure, this works great when the bite is really slow.++

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #301 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:33 PM »
use a car floor mat to keep your feet off the ice
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #302 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:32 PM »
I got two door mats at Home Depot at $3 each. They are thinner and grip the ice, used them last Tuesday in 1/4 inch of water in the hut and they worked quite well. They dried out in the bed of the truck on the way home and I brought them in the kitchen to finish the drying out. 5 of 5 stars.
Thread killer

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #303 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:05 AM »

keep moving don't waste time on mud monsters , find some biters

IMO, moving is much more important for some species than others. e.g. walleye hang around structure so you must go find them. OTOH, lake trout, for e.g, are prowlers and hunters that move around searching out prey. Staying put in a general area/depth that you know they sometimes frequent can be just as productive as moving. My bud and I were out a few days ago hunkered down in a pop-up because of temp and wind. Fish would periodically swim by, allowing us to have quite a few hits and catch about 5-6. We usually fish out in the open and often move around a bit but we did just as well as we normally do the last time by sitting and waiting.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #304 on: Jan 05, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Don't go fishing to catch fish, go fishin ti fish. Think of the fish as a bonus.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #305 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:32 PM »
Don't go fishing to catch fish, go fishin to fish. Think of the fish as a bonus.

Exactly !!

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #306 on: Jan 13, 2018, 02:13 PM »
Take someone new fishing. You never know, if they fall I love with ice fishing they might spend more time and money on it than you do and can take you to all of their good spots next year with all their gear....
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #307 on: Jan 14, 2018, 09:36 PM »
buy any kind of sonar, no matter what kind of rod, reel, line, or jig you have; you can't catch fish if you're not on top of fish. a sonar makes the job of finding them vastly easier.

I've got a shirt that says "The secret to fishing is to fish where the fish are". Couldn't be more true!
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #308 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:24 AM »
Use a spoon...but get rid of the split rings.

why?

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #309 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:27 AM »
I use small egg sinkers with bobber stops---easier than crimping on split shot, no damage to thhe line.

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #310 on: Jan 20, 2018, 11:41 AM »
Well, im very new and went last week. Still dont have a flasher and it sucked. Didnt know where the fish were, or how hot my hole was. I got lucky and found a good spot, but it would have been nice to see what the fish were doing so i knew if I had to re bait or not. Would have prevented wasted time fishing 10ft above fish, fishing without baited hook, or reeling up for no reason. Buy a flasher.

Also, pee before you go on ice.

Offline bsrkoacar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #311 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:18 PM »
Keep your anger blades sharp and in good condition.

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #312 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:46 PM »
Research your target species well, research your lake(water), be in the right place at the right time using the right presentations. If all that fails, rinse and repeat! Never quit

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #313 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:01 AM »
Get to know God, he made the fish and the water your fishing. Give him thanks for it. Even if you have a limit of fish or not a single one all day there is always something to be thankful for.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #314 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:36 AM »
If you use mono use the hi vis kind. Mine is yellow

Offline specialized

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #315 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:57 PM »
I am sure this has been said but my #1 TIP is stay on top of the ice as much as possible!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #316 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:13 PM »
dont fish with the gink

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #317 on: Jul 31, 2018, 12:14 PM »
why?

from a long time ago.

Removing the split rings on spoons...On the top portion of the spoon.  While your line tie is offset towards on side, a small upward lift will impart a consistent control to the spoon.  Try is in a fish tank or bucket of water to see how that produces.

On the bottom portion of the spoon.  Meaning to effect a dropper hook.  Tying line to split rings sometimes that knot will slide into the sharp ends of that wire cut.  In effect it will wear your knot out faster making it the weakest link.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #318 on: Jul 31, 2018, 03:55 PM »
sometimes the best fishing is that last hour of light, and the first hour of dark....put away all un essential gear, so you are basically ready to go, except for the poles and stuff you are actually using.  That is a whole lot easier than trying to find everything and just jamming it away in the dark...always a recipe for lost or broken items.....

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #319 on: Sep 10, 2018, 11:43 AM »
I put a thin piece of foam insulation in the bottom of my sled. Put a thin floor mat on top of it. Slight weight gain to the equipment, but a huge improvement to the heat retention in the shanty.

Dave

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #320 on: Sep 10, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Be cautious if you decide to delegate who is the bait guy. Nothing worse than the bait guy being late or not showing up at all...

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #321 on: Sep 10, 2018, 12:34 PM »
Remember to change the line out on your reels before the season starts. Nothing worse than having a break off due to rotten line fighting that “once in a lifetime” monster! Check the guides on the rod as well.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #322 on: Sep 10, 2018, 12:41 PM »
just because people are crowded around in one area doesent mean their getting them

But it can also mean that is where the fish are sometimes.  I have been reluctant to fish the crowd due to your comment only to find out I probably should have been fishing where the crowd was and not been so stubborn.

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #323 on: Nov 17, 2018, 06:21 AM »
Well, above all tips above, fish where fish fish for fish! 'nuff said:-)
Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #324 on: Nov 17, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Go light...don't take what you think you might want, only take what you know that you'll need. Hauling out and setting up never seems as bad as packing up and heading in...especially in the cold...and the dark...and the wet...and the...Well, you get the picture.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #325 on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:28 AM »
If you lost your forceps, pliers, or hook removal pick...you always have one, your rod.

Of course those wimpy noodle tip rods aren't going to work...so save that chop stick when next time you eat chinese food.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #326 on: Dec 25, 2018, 05:00 AM »
Collecting fishing hardware from...who knows anywhere from discarded...

dress shirts, save those buttons.
children's bracelet or necklace, save those beads.
old jigs with rusted hooks, save those jig heads as drop shot weights.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #327 on: Nov 30, 2021, 11:32 PM »
It's been so long, no new tips have been concocted.  ;D

Maybe...Shut Up and Keep Quiet!

That's a secret.  ;)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #328 on: Jan 05, 2022, 10:46 PM »
Always carry extra little box for the, "active tackle" box.  Lures that you use and get wet.  So don't put that wet lure back in with the other ones.  Helps to keep other things rust free from moisture.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #329 on: Jan 06, 2022, 08:07 AM »
 :tipup: Carry a fine stone for honing you hook points. Much easier than retying on a new hook in the cold with frozen hands.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.