Author Topic: Made the trek from edm to coal lake today  (Read 5860 times)

Offline snsn

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Made the trek from edm to coal lake today
« Reply #30 on: Dec 12, 2009, 05:19 PM »
Well, here it is in a nutshell, load the sleds, go to spot, get set up in the tent nice and toasty, t shirt toasty ;-).  Drill some holes, get some rods in.  Buddy goes for a boot on his 583, and comes back really slow, thought that it froze up again (throttle) but it turns out he got owned by the machine and broke his collar bone right in half!  Then we undo everything and head back, all in all we were not even on the ice for more than half hour.  Looks like he will be out of commision for a while now!  Wish he broke his machine rather than a bone, feel pretty bad for him because this is all new to him, sledding and ice fishing etc. so looks like he will be laid up until spring, 4 months for an adult to heal the collar bone.
He might be able to ice fish with me pulling in the fish, but no sledding for a long time ;-(
Well we tried!  It was super nice in the tent, got the frabil base camp (I think that is what it is called) and the mr heater big buddy on a 20lb bottle, pretty slick setup, too many people for the magnum gt so that stayed home. 
THat was our adventure, at least I didn't fall through the ice like at pigeon lol
S

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #31 on: Dec 12, 2009, 06:13 PM »
sounds like an interesting day. i HATE broken collar bones. i broke both of mine.  :(
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline Elenor84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2009, 09:06 PM »
Well, here it is in a nutshell, load the sleds, go to spot, get set up in the tent nice and toasty, t shirt toasty ;-).  Drill some holes, get some rods in.  Buddy goes for a boot on his 583, and comes back really slow, thought that it froze up again (throttle) but it turns out he got owned by the machine and broke his collar bone right in half!  Then we undo everything and head back, all in all we were not even on the ice for more than half hour.  Looks like he will be out of commision for a while now!  Wish he broke his machine rather than a bone, feel pretty bad for him because this is all new to him, sledding and ice fishing etc. so looks like he will be laid up until spring, 4 months for an adult to heal the collar bone.
He might be able to ice fish with me pulling in the fish, but no sledding for a long time ;-(
Well we tried!  It was super nice in the tent, got the frabil base camp (I think that is what it is called) and the mr heater big buddy on a 20lb bottle, pretty slick setup, too many people for the magnum gt so that stayed home. 
THat was our adventure, at least I didn't fall through the ice like at pigeon lol
S

Wow that really sucks...where was your buddy sledding?  How did he spill?  Hope he's ok and hope he heels fast.
I don't even know how you guys got your sleds started...-24 yesterday mine barely wanted to start.

Offline topgun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 13, 2009, 05:34 PM »
Really???  Wow, where did you hear that?  Because I know there's that d**n on the south side so I suppose the could control the water levels a bit.
            i was told they ahd been running the spillway on the southside to fill driedmeat lake.  maybe they are connected if the water levels in the creek are high enough.   thats what some locals told me anyway    fish and feathers in camrose could tell ya im sure

Offline Elenor84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 13, 2009, 11:54 PM »
            i was told they ahd been running the spillway on the southside to fill driedmeat lake.  maybe they are connected if the water levels in the creek are high enough.   thats what some locals told me anyway    fish and feathers in camrose could tell ya im sure

HHHHmmm, interesting...the investigation continues...thanks for the tip!

Offline TravIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:05 AM »
I live not to far from Coal, and the past year was extremely dry.  There was little to no runoff last spring because we really didn't have snow, and any rains we did have were soaked up as fast as it fell.  Not surprizing thats its down that far.  Hopefully we have lots more snow this year so it will fill things back up again.

Offline topgun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2009, 01:25 PM »
sure the weather has not cooperated but the spillway ran wide open for 3 weeks and that took the levels  way way down

Offline TravIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:16 AM »
sure the weather has not cooperated but the spillway ran wide open for 3 weeks and that took the levels  way way down

Well that certainly doesn't help things does it...

Offline walleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero
« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:14 PM »
is the lake safe to drive on?
hastings hero

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:41 PM »
i wouldnt drive on yet, but ill leave it up to you!

Offline walleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero
« Reply #40 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:42 PM »
im going right now to c proly wont drive thou
hastings hero

Offline oldtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Tight Lines"
« Reply #41 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:48 PM »
I'm going right now to c proly wont drive thou
Is there much snow on the lake, I'm thinking about going out tomorrow

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2009, 02:06 PM »
hey oldtrout. im not sure about Coal, but im going to Battle again tomorrow.  THere wasnt much snow out there, but it was drifted about 3 feet around the outside. my Chevy blasted through, but it wasnt easy.

Offline oldtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Tight Lines"
« Reply #43 on: Dec 16, 2009, 02:18 PM »
hey oldtrout. im not sure about Coal, but im going to Battle again tomorrow.  THere wasnt much snow out there, but it was drifted about 3 feet around the outside. my Chevy blasted through, but it wasnt easy.
Thanks swampy, ya... becoming more and more obvious that I need a bigger vehicle. The jeep gets me most places but my limits are differently there!Ha. Good luck tomorrow ;D

Offline walleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero
« Reply #44 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:14 PM »
well im back and drove was in 2 wheel everywhere i went and i have an explorer so there aint much snow on the lake
hastings hero

Offline Elenor84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:26 PM »
well im back and drove was in 2 wheel everywhere i went and i have an explorer so there aint much snow on the lake

So you drove on?  Right on...

Offline walleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero
« Reply #46 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:44 PM »
yea drove around too everyone seemed like the fish were biting
hastings hero

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 16, 2009, 07:43 PM »
sweet deal, glad to see people are prepped and on the lakes!

Offline snsn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:49 AM »
Heading out this weekend, maybe sat or sun but that is still up in the air.  This time there shouldn't be any broken bones LOL.  Anybody heading to coal this weekend?  If ya see the big a$$ed frabil and some sleds for sure stop in to say hey!  Should be a nice weekend to be out, a little warmer than last lol.
S

Offline tattoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:02 PM »
Anyone drive on the south end of coal?

Offline kingfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero.....liberated 2000
« Reply #50 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:24 PM »
me and a buddy drove from boat launch to boat launch did 50 kph to stay on top of the snow. full size Chev and a explorer

Offline tattoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:33 PM »
Thanks Kingfisher, gonna try southside of coal sunday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.