Author Topic: Truck top camper Ice shack conversion?  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
Truck top camper Ice shack conversion?
« on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:07 PM »
Good afternoon!

Has anyone converted a camper that fits in the back of your truck for ice fishing?

I know you can make shacks that fit the back of your truck, but that is not what I am looking for!

If you have any ideas let me know! Thanks!

(Most likely be an end of winter and all summer project for next winter!

Mizayikaa

Re: Truck top camper Ice shack conversion?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:00 AM »
I have. Don't have any pictures at this time. It's pretty basic but works well. I completely gutted the camper to get it as light as possible. I put better insulation in the roof and covered that with cardboard (light, free, has r-value). I cut a spearing hole in the floor and put it on 4x4 skids. I kept the stove for heat and cooking on/in but it is not mounted so it can go out if need be. I also made it so that I could still put the table up if I want to. It weighs right at 725 lbs. fishes and sleeps 4 fairly comfortably.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Truck top camper Ice shack conversion?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:56 AM »
We love our truck camper and I thought having another one converted for an ice shack would be a great idea. After looking for a cheap one and finding nothing but rotten junk I decided to build a camper style shack that fit in my truck. I'm so glad I went this route. My shack is glued and screwed with rigid insulation all around and airtight except for the holes in the floor and a small gap around the wood stove chimney, way better than a leaky old camper with 1.5" of batt insulation. After using it for a whole season I calculated that it needs about 7000-8000 btu to heat - my truck camper has a 20000 btu furnace and at -20 it's running non stop and still cold inside. Our shack is also way lighter than a converted truck camper. The only thing I miss is having a separate bed area - we do have a fold down double bed but lose most of the floor space at night. Cost to build was about the same as what most people were asking for an old truck camper.

The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.