Author Topic: Wiring a 12v strobe light to a rattle reel in shack?  (Read 1819 times)

Offline nhdeadhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wiring a 12v strobe light to a rattle reel in shack?
« on: Dec 21, 2018, 10:32 AM »
I remember seeing a few years back a guy had wired a 12v strobe light on the exterior of his shack and had it set up so that when a fish took some line it would trip the light and set off the strobe. Anybody have an idea how to pull this off? I can figure out how to mount and wire the light itself but not sure how to set up the "switch" so that when line is taken from the rattle reel it activates the strobe?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wiring a 12v strobe light to a rattle reel in shack?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2018, 11:31 AM »
I remember seeing a few years back a guy had wired a 12v strobe light on the exterior of his shack and had it set up so that when a fish took some line it would trip the light and set off the strobe. Anybody have an idea how to pull this off? I can figure out how to mount and wire the light itself but not sure how to set up the "switch" so that when line is taken from the rattle reel it activates the strobe?

Look up how to set up a lock out relay.. if wondering ask me by pm a lock out relay locks in around another relay  circuit to keep it running till circuit is broken like a e-stop button for this.. that's a normal closed switch that opens or breaks  circuit when you push in then all you need is to wire the relays and make a switch that turns on the strobe light.. it part digital logic to preform how circuit works once engized it stay lit .. could even do a buzzer bell or siren etc this way!! Then just grab line pull fish in and hit e-stop Button to shut off.. and reset the system back to start..

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2018, 11:54 AM »
We used to make a simple switch using a spring type clothes pin, a couple strips of foil and some wire. We put the fishing line between the foil lined "jaws" and when a fish took line it would pull out of the clothes pin and complete the circuit. Look for "clothes pin switch" on you tube.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2018, 02:12 PM »
That's another way to do it  so is using a couple nails or bolts on  a mouse trap  the trap wire  completes  the circuit.. between the two bolts or screws.. any how use a playing card to protect the circuit from tripping..

Offline nhdeadhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03:11 PM »
Thanks guys, the clothespin one seems easy enough and was exactly what I was looking for  :tipup:

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03:39 PM »
i have 100 mercury switches. try looking into the window/door burglar alarms. also tilt switches for automotive security.
https://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=window+door+switch+burglar+alarm

https://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=tilt+switches+for+automotive+security

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2018, 03:00 PM »
i have 100 mercury switches. try looking into the window/door burglar alarms. also tilt switches for automotive security.
https://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=window+door+switch+burglar+alarm

https://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=tilt+switches+for+automotive+security

I hope there not mercury??  they replaces the mercury with a alcohol based solution in thermostats all you need is a $10 t-stat to make a movement switch.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2018, 04:27 PM »

I hope there not mercury??  they replaces the mercury with a alcohol based solution in thermostats all you need is a $10 t-stat to make a movement switch.

Offline Yellowstoner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2019, 04:01 AM »
Magnetic window alarm would be a great way to do this as well.  Just have to wire the switch to the strobe rather than to the alarm portion.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.