Author Topic: 1st Flipover Shack - Frabill Trekker II  (Read 2635 times)

Offline AyrshireBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lucky to go
1st Flipover Shack - Frabill Trekker II
« on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:20 PM »
I've never owned a shanty, but have fished out of my DoubleBull blind and a cabin style shanty.  I almost pulled the trigger today on a Frabill Trekker II, with folding/removable padded stadium seats.  I really like the seats on the deluxe better but i can't afford it right now.
I'd like to hear your reviews on this particular shanty, good or bad.   I want something that will be comfortable for my 5 yr old boy and I to take out on the ice, but won't kill me to take out by myself. I appreciate any info, and any good deals that you might know of.
Thanks.

JT
Take a kid fishing!

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 1st Flipover Shack - Frabill Trekker II
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:42 AM »
I have a DLX and love the seats.  Have fished out of a II and they are very similar, except the seats.... I hand pull mine everywhere, its not real bad.  Snow gets a little tough but its managable. 
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:20 AM »
I purchased the 2 this year, I love that I can pull one of the seats when I fish alone (less weight),   they pull easy and so far I have been pleased,  I love the extra room. I have reflectix accross the top which keeps it warmer with less shake in the wind. 

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:17 AM »
Lrains, do you mind if I ask how you secured the reflectix to the roof of your shelter. I'm thinking of buying the same shelter and think the reflectix is a great idea.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2013, 01:16 PM »
cut slits in REflectix and use the velcro that holds the shanty to the poles,  I did the rear of the shanty and just cut out for the window..

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2013, 03:07 PM »
Hey all,

It feels good to post on here again!!! I just recently picked up a year old Frabill Trekker II and now I can't wait for Ice!!! I was just curious if anyone had any ideas/modifications that they've done to the Frabill shacks in the past. I found this old thread which was somewhat helpful but it's a little dated now: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=99383.0. Things I have interest in doing right off the bat are:
1.) Replacing the rope with a longer, more durable tow rope
2.) Looking into a putting some Hyfax runners on the sled (any recommendations?)
3.) Calling Frabill customer service and getting some Replacement Windows sent out (seems like these can crack easily in the bitter cold)
4.) Getting a few different GoPro attachments and mounts for filming inside the shack

Any tips/modifications/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2013, 03:18 PM »
TIP if you can put the runners on before you assemble the skirt/poles much easier ....also put the tips of the runners in a 5 gal bucket of hot  water and they'll bend much easier during installation   also do this with the wind stripping that goes around the tub  ... oh and build a smitty sled . I also place my windows in a small nylon bag w/draw string to protect them.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2013, 09:39 AM »
Hey all,

It feels good to post on here again!!! I just recently picked up a year old Frabill Trekker II and now I can't wait for Ice!!! I was just curious if anyone had any ideas/modifications that they've done to the Frabill shacks in the past. I found this old thread which was somewhat helpful but it's a little dated now: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=99383.0. Things I have interest in doing right off the bat are:
1.) Replacing the rope with a longer, more durable tow rope
2.) Looking into a putting some Hyfax runners on the sled (any recommendations?)
3.) Calling Frabill customer service and getting some Replacement Windows sent out (seems like these can crack easily in the bitter cold)
4.) Getting a few different GoPro attachments and mounts for filming inside the shack

Any tips/modifications/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Replaced their rope with a horse lead type rope - 10' lead from sled
built a smitty sled for $50 - skis from CL, parts from Lowe's incl stainless screws + eyelets to strap down the Trekker - breaks down in less than a minute and without tools
My project later today is adding reflectix to ceiling and back (at a minimum)
Ordered 15' strip of 5630 LEDs from Amazon and will install horizontally @ ceiling height on front + back support bar  + a strip under lip of front base.  Ordered with a dimmer
You know that cell signal's nearly non-existent after WoodlandPark - I picked up 12V 8ah battery (Interstate Battery) w/cell phone charger lead (Wally World) and will also use it to power LEDs)
Added rod holders to front left and right of base - can send image later / after upload
Picked up grommet kit @ Wally World - Added 4x grommets into the base fabric that drapes onto ice - The winds on The Mile are relentless and it was either lifting the flipover and/or forcing the material into the open space.  Will use my QF3 ice screws to hold it in place
Chopper pilot buddy gave me aviation velcro to keep flaps near base / minimize inflow of wind

Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2013, 11:05 PM »
Foil Faced Bubble Wrap installed - pics taken before completion. 
After these pics, I opened flaps for the vents on each side + trimmed up material further

30" rod @ left and 26" @ right

I've watched too many rods dragged thru the ice by trout and pike
I used Paracord attached to eyebolts, on a 2x6, 1x located near each rod
4' length attaches around each rod handle + reel shank

Extra section stored near each eyelet for use w/rods outside the sled attached to ice screws - already saved me a few times in 2013
Owe No Man Anything...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.