Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: The hunt for walleye  (Read 1943 times)

gr8buzz

The hunt for walleye
« on: Dec 22, 2003, 08:39 AM »
So I have now fished 2 nights for walleye with no success. I have fished 4 pm to midnight 4 pm to 8 pm or so.I used 2-3 inch minnows 1st night and 4-6 inch minnows the next night. I set up 6 tip ups along an old river bed 6 inches to a foot off bottom. Still no luck. I have a couple more places I want to try. I have fished this lake year round and i find that after the sun sets the fishing out here always shuts off and I have little to no success at night , into the morning. Is it possible that The fish in this lake Just dont feed at night? I have heard of this before. If its true why would that be? any thoughts would be appreciated!

Offline IOWA BASSER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bass Fisherman at Heart - but I love the Hardwater
Re:The hunt for walleye
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2003, 09:49 AM »
my best "eye action has always been 8:00 am to 11:00 am or the last 1/2hour of daylight and i try to keep my bait a little farther up, say 10" - 12" off the bottom, I try to stay with the smaller minnies ( i may not get as many big ones but i feel i get more action ) and they all get let go anyhow, I'd rather eat pearch and crappie

GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE :) :'( :o
BASS WISHES AND TIGHT LINES !!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:The hunt for walleye
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:27 PM »
I pick the exact same spots to fish walleye in winter as i do in summer. Fish go to the areas for the same reasons. I choose smaller minnows also. I have not found walleyes to be as nocturnal during the winter. With the lack of food available during the winter, fish need to be more oppurtunistic. Good Luck.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.