Author Topic: cooking with mr.buddy heater  (Read 304428 times)

Offline Buckeye John

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: cooking with mr.buddy heater
« Reply #60 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:00 AM »
I've been cooking on mine for years now.

(Image removed from quote.)

Bought an aluminum mesh screen at HD for paint rolling in a bucket and fastened it on. Just keep the foil pans forward so the handle won't melt.

Gary
Gary, thanks for the info. Great idea!

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #61 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:26 AM »
Here's what I picked up last year.

It works great.  I can cook sandwiches, burgers, or brats and the grease does not drip into my Buddy Heater.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:59 PM »
I am going to Wallyworld right now to get a small aluminum paint roller thingy!!!  I am going to rip the little "fabbed" hot dog wires off my big buddy immediately and put on a grill!!!  Thanks fellas!!!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline stinky fingers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~tight lines~
« Reply #63 on: Dec 12, 2010, 09:56 AM »
 :looken good guys, lots good mods . any new ones ? going to try to get something built while i waite 4 ice to get thicker, thanks again 8)

Offline justfine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NOW THIS IS FUN!!!
« Reply #64 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:00 AM »
Thanks great ideas be modifying my bud
HAPPINESS IS BLOOD ON THE ICE!!!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:37 AM »
I am going to Wallyworld right now to get a small aluminum paint roller thingy!!!  I am going to rip the little "fabbed" hot dog wires off my big buddy immediately and put on a grill!!!  Thanks fellas!!!

There is no need to remove the protective grill unless you already added optional stuff.

All I did was cut an inch or so off the paint roller tray side and reattached the metal edge. Then I bent the tray and wrapped the tabs onto the existing grill.

You do not want any drips to go down on to the Buddy ceramic at all so keep your food forward and away from the handle.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Goterdone!!!  Thanks alot!!!  I just finished, I even made a little heat shield for the handle.  I had no intention of removing the factory wire guard, I had some rigged up coat hanger wires that was my previous mod for cooking hot dogs.  That's what I was removing.  Great Mod, thanks...

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #67 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:04 PM »
Goterdone!!!  Thanks alot!!!  I just finished, I even made a little heat shield for the handle.  I had no intention of removing the factory wire guard, I had some rigged up coat hanger wires that was my previous mod for cooking hot dogs.  That's what I was removing.  Great Mod, thanks...
How did you make the heat shield? Got a pic? I made this one for my buddy last year...works great! Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:13 PM »
I dig it :) I'm gonna have to so the same. We used to use a metal pizza sheet on coleman lanterns. drill a hole through the middle of it and set it between the top screw and nut over the dome.  Now that don't use lanterns I'll be warming up hot wings Mr Buddy style.
Ametal fruit cake tin with a small holr drilled in it to attach to a lantern works good and has a lid.Great for reheating burgers and chicken etc.

Offline ECIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 15, 2010, 08:15 PM »
To you guys that did the painter grill mod, did you have to cut any of the original wire cage on the Mr Buddy little heater?  I just ordered one and wasn't sure if I had to modify anything to make it fit.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:11 PM »
To you guys that did the painter grill mod, did you have to cut any of the original wire cage on the Mr Buddy little heater?  I just ordered one and wasn't sure if I had to modify anything to make it fit.

No mods to the heater itself but I did trim down the width of the painters screen about and inch or so. It just has a crimped edge you can pry open and then crimp back in place. There are pics in this thread of what I did that should show it pretty well.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:23 PM »
drill out the small hole on the pol end of the hose (where it hooks to the 5 - 100lb tank)
(Image removed from quote.)  allow more propane flow thru the hose to the built in regulator  thus allowing quicker start up and if you had issues with running it on high without it going out    now there is a mod that works too

anyone else done this mod, and how has it worked?  really like the ideas on how to cook some dogs I will have to mod. mine also now

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #72 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:32 PM »
No mods to the heater itself but I did trim down the width of the painters screen about and inch or so. It just has a crimped edge you can pry open and then crimp back in place. There are pics in this thread of what I did that should show it pretty well.
I would like to see how it is connected to the heater under the handle (on the back)
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline Badback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:43 PM »
Thanks great ideas be modifying my bud

X 2...I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Dec 15, 2010, 10:29 PM »
How did you make the heat shield? Got a pic? I made this one for my buddy last year...works great! Smitty
Just got all the pics loaded to Photobucket and I will be hopefully getting them up tonight.  I used some aircraft clamps for attatching to the handle, I don't know where you would find them otherwise.  My mechanic at work said that some hardware stores might carry them but I have never seen them.  I will get to work on posting those pics.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 15, 2010, 10:37 PM »
Here is the final product...  Test.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Dec 15, 2010, 10:52 PM »
I started by cutting off the "EARS" of the paint tray thingy.I saved the "ears" to use as spacers later and drilled holes on both ends of each ear, cut up some scrap aluminum for a heat shieldand got some nuts, bolts, washers, and loctite at the hardware store. I bent up the screen thingy on a metal brake at work, but it bends easy enough on the edge of the table.  I attatched a heat shield that I fashioned from scrap aluminum onto the screen. I then attatched the top to the handle using some sort of aircraft clamps.  The mechanic said they are called "ADEL" clamps.  (size 24.)  They have a rubber insulator on the inside of the clamp, so it will not damage my handle.  The bottom was also attached using two much smaller of the same style clamps.  I think they were size 2.  I removed the rubber gaskets for obvious reasons and clamped them directly to the grate on the heater.  The screen was not level, so I had to trim down the "EARS" from earlier and drill new holes to level the cooking surface.   Final product.  The total cost was less than $20.00, minus the four clamps I got from work, and some scrap aluminum.  Hope this helps, can't wait to use it.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:17 PM »
Here's a better look at how I attatched the screen to the handle using ADEL clamps.And finally a good photo of the final product.  Sorry for so many pictures... I hope this helps with anybody else's project.  The only improvement I wish I had considered is making the rack easier to take off for cleaning purposes.  i can't thank whomever originally posted this enough!!!  I can't wait!!!

Offline Frozenhole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:22 PM »
Yes a great thread and so many different but similar results.  I'll  do something similar to mine now.  Well done Shantyists!!  ;D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:29 PM »
Mr. Gamalot...  I vote you in for the mod of the year.  THANKYOU!!!

Offline zen_grasshopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Dec 16, 2010, 01:36 AM »
I did this mod tonight.  Couldn't find a paint screen in any of the hardward stores, but I found this in the grilling section.  Aluminium sheets to lay on your grill and cook on.  Cut with a scissor and tied it on with copper wire.

Thanks for the idea, it was brilliant.  Cant wait to use it on Sunday. 

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:33 AM »
Nice work there Hardwater Problem! Let us know how that works out. I'm thinking it might be a bit high above the heater to get the heat where you want it but will be interested to hear your test results.

Same situation with yours Zen GH, I like the aluminum you used but you might find you need to extend the cooking surface outward so the heat gets directed to under the dish you are heating. I found the hot spot to be out in front of the ceramic rather then right above and I also found you can melt your handle if you don't leave enough room between it and the dish being heated.

I never tried to cook anything like a burger or hot dog from scratch on mine. What I have done for a long time now is to make up fully cooked aluminum pans with either Chili, Lasagna or Stew and just reheat them out on the ice. It takes a while to get them bubbling but I get to enjoy the heat in my shanty while warming them up. We have a local hardware store here that sells just about every size aluminum freezer pans with lids like the one I showed.

Take a look at my pic and the side braces for the handle and you can see where I melted it a little. That is when I extended the surface outward to keep the pans away and centered over the hot spot.

I fully expect to see some inventor to produce a clip on/hang on grill surface for the Buddies and sell them at Gander and other sport stores.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Dec 16, 2010, 03:55 PM »
I saw that your heater was melted at the handles, and on the big buddy a full sized roller screen fit perfectly.  I didnt need to cut the screen and was going to use the existing tabs to attatch at the heaters handle, but I didn't want to melt anything so I redrilled my holes further from the handles and used those goofy insulated clips.  I checked the "HEATZONE" and the center of my screen gets the most heat.  I can flip the clips upside down to lower the screen and take out the spacers on the bottom if it loses too much heat before it gets to the cooking surface.  Again, just wish I made it easier to remove.

Offline Blue83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:07 PM »
had a pair of needle nose pilers frezze on me so i jammed em in the girl a few minutes later they sizzled when i touched em to snow ... so it should work good to make grilled cheese lol

WOW, that must be some hot girl you are fishing with!!!!! Also Poor girl.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:13 PM »
Two things I have been thinking about on and off for a year or so. First is if the tip over switch has wires attached ( never looked but doubt it ) install a switch in the front of the heater to override this. This way you could look right at it and know if it is in the normal or override position. Flip the switch and lay it down to cook. I layed the small buddy on its back and the grate is level. Only problem is the grease etc may go on the ceramic. Not a perferred method. 
Second is to make a removable grate for cleaning purposes. I thought I could drill two holes in the top of the buddy in the red metal just under the handle area. Make the wire grate with two pieces that stick out that would go into these holes. Bend the grate at a 90 and bend two hooks in the lower to grab the existing grate. Once installed into the top holes it would bind itself in and the hooks would prevent it from lifting up. I like this idea and may make it in the next few days. I also like it because it is removable and with no tools. If you have a new little buddy it has a handle that tilts back to store. This would be better for cooking. Anybody see anything here that has merit?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:02 PM »
I have been cooking or for a better term heating up my meals on my Buddy for a few years now. I disagree with anyone who seems to think you could add a grill and fry up burgers and dogs on your buddy. I have never had to clean it since nothing ever drips down on to the ceramic and if it ever did you will probably be replacing the entire heater.

My idea was to make a shelf to place already prepared food on for reheating and nothing more. I can use the little meal size aluminum pans or wrap a sandwich in aluminum foil and have a hot meal in a flash while sitting in the middle of the frozen lake. A buddy heater was never designed as a cooker and should not be altered in any way other then to heat something up that is wrapped or in a pan.

Defeating the tip switch is a very bad idea. My shanty got blown over on Monday while I was catching a fish. The buddy did what it was supposed to do and shut off so I did not burn my ice house down.

I guess if what you want to do is cook hot meals from scratch out on the ice then you ought to just buy a Coleman stove and lug that gear with you. For warming up my stew or an already grilled cheese sandwich the buddy does a pretty fine job and with no adverse safety issues.

There is plenty of heat going straight up from the front that you won't need to tip the heater at all. You could boil water but it might take a bit longer then on a real cooker. I just figure it is a heater and I can heat up my prepared foods while I heat up the shack, 2 for the price of one.

When the shanty flipped my old grill screen got crunched. Stopped at the hardware store and they had a different type. Took me half an hour and cost me $2.29. Just a couple bends and some copper wire soldered to hold it on.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #86 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:24 PM »
those little racks yall built would work sweet to put a can of spagetti o's on lol ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:47 PM »
those little racks yall built would work sweet to put a can of spagetti o's on lol ;D ;D ;D

Yea, if the buddy don't puke them off! ;D I have done Dintymore Beef Stew and even Campbells Beans and Franks if I am fishing with someone I don't particularly like.

I never have figured out if cooking stuff right in the cans is cool or not with what ever they use to coat the insides. Some sort of varnish I suppose and I just hope they don't buy it from China!

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #88 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:59 PM »
haha yeah you gotta watch out for that asian stuff ;) when i was a kid we used to tell my mom i was spending the night at a buddies house and that buddy would say he was at my house and we would all go to my grandmas pasture for the weekend and all us would live off spagetti o's and other canned foods cooked right in the can on a campfire coals.. we did this almost every weekend of the summer for years.. and i have no ill effects..... twitch ..twitch .. twitch

Offline zen_grasshopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:09 PM »
I used mine on Sunday.  The bite got slow and my Mora wasn't cutting worth a crap so I was not hole jumping.  I heated up some lasagna on the Buddy.  Worked perfectly.  Nothing like hot coffee and hot food on the ice. 

Luckily the bite came back and didn't get a chance to heat up my other piece of lasagna.

Jon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.