Author Topic: Hummingbird Helix 5 All Season  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
Hummingbird Helix 5 All Season
« on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:07 PM »
I was in Gander Outdoors yesterday and noticed they had a Helix 5 on the shelf.  I asked a clerk which package it was and turns out it was the All Season package, which is pretty much sold out everywhere I’ve looked.  I get a 5% discount in their Good Sam club, so having it in hand, I bought it.  Last night I watched several videos on set up and different settings to use.  I have not even unboxed it yet.  I have a Lowrance x67c that is about 10 years old, not sure if I am keeping that as backup or selling it off.  TBD.

Anyways, any Helix users - feel free to shoot me some tips and pointers, both in ice mode and in open water.

Thanks, Otto

Offline krazjon

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hummingbird Helix 5 All Season
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2021, 10:54 PM »
I've been using the helix 5 and I'm never going back. Amazing unit and I don't even use the flasher function anymore. The regular Down imaging is a ton better. Crank the chart speed up and it's perfect. Battery lasts a lot longer than expected and I run auxiliary lights with it as well.
Jon Arnold

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:57 AM »
 Otto always nice to have a back up just in case , I still have my 67c ,great little unit
 I have a helix 5 works awesome , I use it 6-150’ FOW

Offline tightliner3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2021, 08:09 AM »
I agree with others. I was always a vex guy but started using my helix a couple seasons ago. I don’t see any reason to go back. As far as settings I’d have to look on mine to give u some pointers. I always gotta mess and tweak it each year to get it where I want it.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2021, 10:14 AM »
I've been using the helix 5 and I'm never going back. Amazing unit and I don't even use the flasher function anymore. The regular Down imaging is a ton better. Crank the chart speed up and it's perfect. Battery lasts a lot longer than expected and I run auxiliary lights with it as well.

Hey Krazy - are you using the SLA battery or do you have a lithium?  I bought a lithium for my Lowrance and it is a lot lighter. I seem to recall seeing or reading somewhere that the Helix units were engineered to be used only on SLA.  Not sure where I saw that - I may be Krazy!

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2021, 05:48 PM »
Been using my Helix 5 for a couple years now. Love it. I have it on a Marcum Lithium Shuttle. I've also stripped it down and taken it to BWCA. Love the AutoChart Live function to make maps. Only thing I would do differently is get side imaging instead of down imaging.
For ice fishing take it out of Auto range and set the Lower Range to just below your depth. And max out the chart speed.

gman51

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2021, 07:12 AM »
does chart speed make a difference if your not moving.  ???

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2021, 09:31 AM »
I feel like it gives me faster feedback when jigging. 

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2021, 01:48 PM »
Be sure to adjust the surface clutter setting to your liking...that setting helps eliminate junk in the top few feet of the water column.  However, if it is set too high, you'll miss out on high-riding fish.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:49 AM »
I feel like it gives me faster feedback when jigging.

I run my chart speed at max, both my buddies do as well.

Does seem to help me. It just seems more responsive

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

gman51

« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2021, 06:28 AM »
i feel and it seems aren't really fact based info. i was just wondering. thx.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2021, 04:43 PM »
I like to use the dual flasher/history screen.  I run the chart speed as slow as possible, that way if I look away for a moment and a fish came near, I will be able to see that once I look at the screen again.  I use the flasher for the real-time fish movement.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2021, 06:01 PM »
Thanks for all the tips.  I finally unpacked it and set it up last night.  Charging the battery now and will reset some of the settings as suggested.  I got a “free” Lakechart map coupon in the box, so I selected Oneida Lake. I am going to get a chip for it and download it later.   I also need to “test” the transducer in an ice hole to be sure it was not damaged during shipment.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2021, 08:31 PM »
Otto: Here are some setting for you.
1) Put in Ice Fishing Mode
2) Set chart speed as fast at it will go. You are not moving like you do in a boat so you want to see whats under you in a split second of a time. you will get better response seeing fish and your jig.
3) Keep your light down to 4 or 5
4) You will have like 12 different palette setting to chose from- Different color schemes. Use the ones with the black back ground to reduce how much battery you use.. The white back ground use up your battery quicker.
5) Get your unit off automatic range when it comes to top and lower depth. Always set to 2 feet lower than the bottom and I set mine at 0-1 for top level. There are two screens that show this so scroll thru each menu to ensure you have the depth set 2 feet lower than you intend to fish.. I had mine set one day like 20 feet when I was fishing in 15 feet of water and i could never see the jig or the bottom till i figure out i had it set way to low for the location I was fishing- My mistake never did that again.
6) Chirp I.R.- you will have to mess with the 6 different settings to see which one is the clearest in the location your fishing.
7) Contrast- I run mine on like 6
8) Keep Fish I.D. turned off it clutters things up and doesnt do you any good.
9) sensitivity- i run that like at 8-12 as I want to pick up every fish i can.

There are videos in this section if you scroll thru each page that shows the finder and setting folks use.. One guy even has a spread sheet to show each setting. Go thru each page in ice fishing with electronics and look for helix 5 or helix 7 you'll find great tips. Good luck- You will love your new finder for sure!!
Check out this post on page 2: Hummingbird Helix 7 settings
Marvin

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2021, 06:46 AM »
Thanks Elkhunter, your list is great and were most of the changes I have made already.  I wasn’t;t sure about the screen colors, but having black background makes sense.  I have a lithium battery for it, but I will be curious to see how long it lasts.
Hoping to get out fishing in the next few days.  I have a little sidetrack adventure planned for this weekend, so I won’t be fishing until next week. 

Offline krazjon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:34 PM »
Hey Krazy - are you using the SLA battery or do you have a lithium?  I bought a lithium for my Lowrance and it is a lot lighter. I seem to recall seeing or reading somewhere that the Helix units were engineered to be used only on SLA.  Not sure where I saw that - I may be Krazy!

I believe its the SLA. Its the same battery as a vexlar. I bought the ice fishing kit with the bag and battery installed but I charge both my old vexlar battery (now used for ice shanty power) and the helix battery with the same cable. The battery lasts so long I havent thought to look into any new options.
Lighter would be nice but I use the ATV 90% of the time.
Jon Arnold

Offline krazjon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:36 PM »

Chart speed is super important for me. Some of the fish move in super fast and a slow chart speed the fish could be on its way out as fast as it comes in and you could miss it. Theres no real advantage to a slower speed. Mine is on max at all times.
Jon Arnold

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2021, 09:07 PM »
Otto: if you have a lithium it should last two days unless your fishing in extremely cold weather.. If your in a hut or on a somewhat nice day with some sun shining on your unit it will last you a couple days no problem.
Marvin

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2021, 05:56 PM »
I brought my Helix 5 to Boundary Waters canoeing last year. I yanked the battery from my Marcum Lithium Shuttle to run the Helix on. It lasted about 5 days. I don't know how many hours exactly but it was quite a few. I had a second battery with so I wasn't really trying to conserve the first one. Ended up not needing the second one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.