Author Topic: Making a small wood stove?  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Making a small wood stove?
« on: Oct 31, 2005, 11:59 AM »
Any of you garage engineers have ideas or plans for a small wood stove you'd like to share?  I have an old Yukon stove that's on it's last leg.  I'd like to replace it, maybe with a homemade version or maybe a stove kit?  Not looking for a 55 gal. drum model, just something a little smaller.  Shanty's only 8X10 and would be easy to heat. :-[  Thanks in advance!  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

grumpymoe

Re: Making a small wood stove?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Hey BD......if you want something very cheap, I did this a number of years back....had a 5 gallon grease pail...laid on side.....took the lid and hinged it to the top.....eavestrough elbow and enough pipe to go out the roof......its amazing how much heat that thing would throw....and pretty much used up by the time spring rolled around....but what the heck.....it didnt cost me a cent.. (extra draft??.....unscrew the top of the spout)... ;D ;D ;D Grump

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2005, 03:46 PM »
I found this a while ago and haven't actually done it but it looked really neat and fun to make.
I don't want to directly post the website but go to lincolnelectric dot com then click knowledge then click search and do a site search for ice fishing, the first result is the plans for a stove.  Good luck.

Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2005, 05:57 PM »
yep thats a nice one

Offline flagrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2005, 06:50 PM »
I think i would get another Yukon.I was stationed in Alaska in the early eighties,that stove kept you warm and it was easy to setup,i thought it was one of the better stoves you could get.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2005, 08:27 AM »
If you don't get one built, check out a sheep herders stove.  They are only about 1.5 square feet, but we had one in a 8x12 and had to keep the door open in -25f. 

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2005, 11:08 AM »
If you don't want to make one, try this
http://www.nuwaystove.com/

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2005, 02:00 PM »
Man great replies!  I'm looking into all the ideas, even the ol' grease can stove Grump. ;)  Love the Nuway stove and looked into this one before...  I'll look at more sites etc...  Any additional ideas are great.  Thanks!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2005, 02:41 AM »
Hey Barley, check with some of the sheet metal shops in town.  I'm pretty sure that Wilbur Brothers Sheet Metal (452 3838) sells/builds stoves.  May be cheaper then getting one shipped up here?

Also check at Rocket Surplus (or whatever they're called now), for a Military Tent Stove
Good luck

http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/Colemans.storefront/en/product/312701

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2005, 01:36 PM »
FarmerGrant,  I will check them out this weekend.  Thanks for the link!  I'm looking at converting a small barrel into a working stove similar to your link.  I set aside a project for the lincoln welding project Northwoodsice had linked...  I'll post the picks when completed. 
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.