Author Topic: --- SLED MODS ---  (Read 341949 times)

Offline mjw

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: --- SLED MODS ---
« Reply #300 on: Feb 14, 2015, 06:44 PM »
We had a plastic pallet laying around so we built on top of it and plus we put our 2 up in the trailer and the box in the truck bed. It works pretty well, and you can cook in it when it's windy.

Offline Luckyowen98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #301 on: Nov 30, 2015, 12:11 PM »
I made my own sled out of an old pair of skis.  Hope it works lol. We haven't had a good cold front come through where I live yet, so it will be a while until I can get it out on the ice. It holds my old tote from my deployments and my clam six pack thermal hub pretty well. All of my gadgets go in the tote and I ended up screwing a bucket to the sled as well. 
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #302 on: Dec 12, 2015, 11:13 PM »
After reading this thread a couple of times I was inspired to create my very own "Modified Sled", so to everyone that has posted thanks for the inspiration!!!

I have the Clam Base Camp hub shelter and my sled fits perfectly inside with plenty of room to fish. I wanted a way to be able to keep my gear/toys all together, all organized and all within reach. I was also in search of a bench of sorts so my two boys 6 & 7 yrs old always had a solid place to sit, and that I could also use to stow my gear and this is what I came up with! I also use a underwater camera frequently mostly just to keep the boys busy, but I will admit it comes in handy at times.

There is room on the open side for my shelter and hand auger. The locker holds my finder, rod holders, tackle, bucket seats, extra gloves, snacks and anything else that fits. The center console holds my underwater camera (a must have with the boys) and toggle switches to turn on front lights for fishing and a back light to just brighten things up.

Building this drove my wife nuts lol!, so thanks to everyone for the inspiration and thanks especially to my wife for not killing me! Let me know what you think, I already have a few more mods in mind!!!

Hi fish4all,

Excellent Sled, and wild ideas fish4all.     Thank you for showing us.. It is very slick.
 Have an excellent winter and fun on the Ice.

Looking forward to see your next Mods.

Be Safe and tight lines.

AltaIce

@)

" I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #303 on: Dec 14, 2015, 08:12 AM »
There are some very talented ice fishermen on this site

Offline bbrown601

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #304 on: Jan 03, 2016, 10:38 AM »
That's a nice looking sled fish4all!

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #305 on: Jan 10, 2016, 04:53 PM »
Has anyone made a runner kit using lexan or hdpe. I bought the Clam runner kit but do not like where they place the bolts in the sled. They drill thru the seam (peak) which I think is a bad spot. Plus they recommend drilling several holes.

Offline ms570

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #306 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:55 PM »
looks like its time to fix up my sled! some great ideas here!

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #307 on: Jan 26, 2016, 03:46 PM »
Has anyone made a runner kit using lexan or hdpe. I bought the Clam runner kit but do not like where they place the bolts in the sled. They drill thru the seam (peak) which I think is a bad spot. Plus they recommend drilling several holes.

they have you drill them on the peak so the nuts on bottom side are recessed below peaks on inside of sled.

Offline PondIce82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #308 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:02 PM »
First off, being new to this site, I have learned a lot and got the idea to modify my own sled.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #309 on: Jan 27, 2016, 03:19 PM »
First off, being new to this site, I have learned a lot and got the idea to modify my own sled.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
looks heavy  :o

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #310 on: Jan 27, 2016, 03:33 PM »
looks heavy  :o

I love the idea, but that was my thought too.

Offline PondIce82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #311 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:27 PM »
I love the idea, but that was my thought too.
That's my fear too, but only about 40-50 lbs heavier. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, so we will see.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #312 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:36 PM »
I hope your not dragging it through much snow, its going to be tough....

JMHO

BTW:     :thumbsup: WELCOME!!! :thumbsup:
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline PondIce82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #313 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:25 PM »
Well this year we don't have much snow, but it can very year to year. I'm thinking of adding some small diameter tubing to the bottom to help slide easier and protect the plastic sled on the rough frozen dirt. And usually I just fish the local farm ponds or maybe a local small lake.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #314 on: Jan 28, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Have you thought about building a Smitty Sled?

Offline PondIce82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #315 on: Jan 28, 2016, 06:00 PM »
Have you thought about building a Smitty Sled?
Yes I have thought about building a Smitty sled. I'm just not sure it would hold all of our gear. All the stuff you see in the picture is both mine and my brother in laws.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #316 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:37 AM »
You would put your sled of gear on top of the Smitty. I think your mod is great, it is a tad heavy I am sure. A Smitty would make it much easier to pull with any amount of snow. If you have glare ice conditions you are golden, the loaded sled with no Smitty will pull effortlessly.

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #317 on: Jan 29, 2016, 08:10 AM »
If you're worried about weight, my setup has handled the lbs just fine.
Here are some photos.

Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #318 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:21 AM »
In Lou of the weather this winter, I Spent the first part of the season tricking out the Yoyager. Wanted a place to keep rods secure and safe from stuff sliding around in the tub, but still be able to access them easily while fishing... Well, I took it to the next level and built a deck (more or less, it does hold me up come to think of it) like a bass boat style rod locker. Just need a trolling motor mount for it now lol

Chasing Ice

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #319 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:24 AM »
Sorry for the fuzzy cell phone pics.
Chasing Ice

Offline Iceaddict82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #320 on: Aug 14, 2016, 09:47 PM »
So some how I've forgotten my old password and the email to reset never makes it to my email. So with that being said, this sled will look familiar, that's why.
 So we took it out late last year, no snow left and by afternoon even the frozen mud was starting to stick to our boots. I know alot of you say use the Smitty sled, my question is, would it really made that much difference? We left the hub and heaters at home that day, so it wasn't even full. I'm thinking maybe mount the skis themselves to the bottom of my sled.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #321 on: Aug 15, 2016, 06:34 AM »
Skis will make that beast pull like a dream. I bet it's pretty miserable to drag right now with that load

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #322 on: Aug 15, 2016, 09:45 AM »
the idea of the skiis is to get the load off the snow. got to get the sled off the snow.

Offline Iceaddict82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #323 on: Aug 15, 2016, 11:06 AM »
My second question is how much abuse can the ski's take? Frozen cattle fields aren't the smoothest, even with snow.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #324 on: Aug 20, 2016, 01:34 PM »
my skis drag over rocks and trees with ease and never had a problem with them. I do suggest to put at lest 2-3 inch blocks between the skis and sled this way as the skis sink into the snow the sled still doesn't touch the snow to cause drag. its avoiding the friction of the snow on the sled that makes it so much easier to pull.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Iceaddict82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #325 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:46 PM »
So has any ever modified a set of old water skis? I don't see why the wouldn't work.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #326 on: Sep 01, 2016, 03:34 PM »
snow ski's are made for snow, they're narrow and tough. I pull a windbreak with all my gear on a smitty down a truck tire rutted 1/4 mile road through cat tails to get where the ice starts and am thankful that I built the smitty. I pulled the box once when it had 2x4 runners on it, and after that I built the smitty, I used 2x10's for the spacers between the box and the ski's, and ran 3in deck screws from the bottom of the skis to the spacer. I have another smitty that I put 1/2in plywood over the spacers and carry a clamshell shanty and gear on that. They all work well, you'll be glad that you made one.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #327 on: Sep 29, 2016, 10:33 PM »
So has any ever modified a set of old water skis? I don't see why the wouldn't work.
they might work but the whole point of the smitty is to minimize the drag by having less contact with the snow. waterskis will for sure drag harder than downhill skis.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Wavfire06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #328 on: Oct 23, 2016, 09:03 PM »

Here is my sled mod I finished up today light weight but keeps stuff from rolling around the sled I hope
If u can read my coat u are to close

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #329 on: Oct 24, 2016, 07:38 AM »
Very nice there Wavfire.......hope it works for you.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.