Author Topic: Pulling Pike out of the hole  (Read 6725 times)

Offline Bull Herbie

• IceShanty Rookie
Pulling Pike out of the hole
« on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:19 AM »
How does everybody pull their pike out. I normally grab them under the gill plate near the back of their head. That way I dont get in near the gills and it kinda calms them down. Ive seen under the gill plate under their head, but when I do that I usually get in to far. I dont ever use a gaff, I release most of them. Ive also used the grabbers that hold the lower jaw. 
There are two types of people. Those who are humble, and those who are about to be.

Offline Fishhead680

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pulling Pike out of the hole
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2019, 11:01 AM »
Yup - under the gill plate / opercular flap and then slide hand / fingers forward to near front of the mouth. Never a gaf (but would if I was planning to eat one) though I don't think they are legal on inland waters of Maine.
Try to get my quick pic if its at least 40" and right back in the hole.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:10 PM »
lip um just like a large mouth >:D
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:23 PM »
Bocas.  But just to get them on the ice.  Never pick up a pike with bocas.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2019, 03:14 PM »
I used a grinding wheel and take the point off my gaff and make it round and smooth,  The fatter the metal hook the better. I use it as a gill assist. Works great, doesn't harm the fish, and after a week straight of ice fishing....my hand still has skin left....:-). You can send it down a deep hole and keep your arm dry......:-), I release all my fish, you have to take a little more time while placing the gaff but its worth it to me. :-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Right by the eyes works well if you're keeping them

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:10 PM »
Bring everything you need with you when you get a flag: pliers, jaw spreader, tape, cutters, camera etc. If their mouth is open you can use jaw grippers that rotate like a Boga to slide them on the ice, just don’t lift them up. If their mouth is closed grab them by the gill plate or if it’s a big one clamp their mouth shut like an alligator and pull them out of the hole. If you’re releasing them it’s good to have some kind of mat, cradle or weigh sling to put them on when there is no snow on the ice so they don’t flop around and hurt themselves. If it’s a big one and you’re fishing thick ice a 10” hole makes it much easier to land them.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:14 PM »
How does everybody pull their pike out. I normally grab them under the gill plate near the back of their head. That way I dont get in near the gills and it kinda calms them down. Ive seen under the gill plate under their head, but when I do that I usually get in to far. I dont ever use a gaff, I release most of them. Ive also used the grabbers that hold the lower jaw.

Little ones I just pull straight up and out by the line. Keepers I gaff under the chin and rip them out. Big ones I play down and CAREFULLY get my hand under the gillplate to ease them out of the hole so I don't hurt them. We have no size limit here so no worry about gaffing an illegal fish by mistake.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:16 PM »
and never stick your fingers in their mouth, that’s why you need jaw spreaders and a long pair of pliers. The gills can cut you like a razor too when you grab them under the gill plate and they do a barrel roll. It’s a good idea to have a first aid kit in the truck.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Bring everything you need with you when you get a flag: pliers, jaw spreader, tape, cutters, camera etc. If their mouth is open you can use jaw grippers that rotate like a Boga to slide them on the ice, just don’t lift them up. If their mouth is closed grab them by the gill plate or if it’s a big one clamp their mouth shut like an alligator and pull them out of the hole. If you’re releasing them it’s good to have some kind of mat, cradle or weigh sling to put them on when there is no snow on the ice so they don’t flop around and hurt themselves. If it’s a big one and you’re fishing thick ice a 10” hole makes it much easier to land them.
This∆∆∆∆∆∆
And don't forget bait and a buddy to take pics and help manage with the line on conventional tipups.
I have a "ready bucket" for when I see a flag go up.
I cringe when I see a gaff. Get the fishes head in the hole and should be game over. Grab ahold of the leader, unless it's not wire, and lift fish up until you can get at the gillplate. Fish don't swim backwards. Little guys I just slide right up and onto the ice. 2 at once is always fun.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline Bull Herbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Another thing to remember, if it’s very cold out, try to keep their eyes in the water or they will freeze.
There are two types of people. Those who are humble, and those who are about to be.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.