Author Topic: New rod  (Read 3655 times)

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
New rod
« on: Dec 04, 2003, 07:16 PM »
Hey guys,

New to ice fishing for 'eyes. Was wondering what rods you guys use. I was thinking about getting thorne bros' custom outside 32" walleye sweet heart. anyone have an experience with this rod?

-Evan

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
Re:New rod
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2003, 01:34 PM »
Cmon guys, Your rods arent the biggest secret.

-Evan

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2003, 03:30 PM »
I just got my first "big boy" rod and reel. I went with a 29" Frabill lightning ice signature in ML. 1/2 price at 14.99. It feels nice though I still haven't caught anything from my living room. I hope it works better once we get ice.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2003, 11:06 PM »
Cityfishin whenever I get a new rod my two boys always want me to try it out. They have me tie a hookless lure on the line and they pretend to be a big largemouth slammin it. I got to put on a show atin like they are the biggest fish I have ever caught. They get the biggest kick from doing this. Kids will be kids.

Knife2sharp

« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2004, 12:24 PM »
I have a few Thorne Bros rods and you can't go wrong with any.  I bought a 36" Sweetheart II last year and it's a great rod.  I would not go shorter than 32" for walleye.

GEEMAN

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2004, 09:56 PM »
I have the 28" Sweet Heart Plus as well as the 32". I prefer the 28" rod overall. It's got plenty as far as fighting Walleyes go. I've also taken a dozen or so Lakers with the 28" rod NO PROBLEM. The 32" rod is nice and all but a bit long if your gonna spend much time fishing inside a portable.
No matter which way you go Thorne Bros make some great sticks !

Offline Nuke Ab

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they're there,....... we'll get'm up!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2004, 10:31 PM »
I fish the 28" med/light ht signature for eyes and love it. It has a glass blank and six eyelets. Plenty of rod. I landed that fat shark on it ( posted pics ) and was just praying it didn't bust!  Good luck!

P.S. -28 deg before wind chill in alberta COLD COLD COLD!!
Tight lines!

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2004, 07:55 AM »
my favourite is a real cheapy-its a compaq ultra lite made in TAIWAN and i prefer it over some more expensive rods that sit in my bucket. great for perch, walleye and even some larger northerns. was afraid that it would snap but so far its holding up well. grump

trapdaddy21

Re: New rod
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2004, 08:18 AM »
i really like st. croix ice rods, they are probably the best rod for the money. i was at gander mountain yesterday and got a premier combo for 20 bucks and an avid rod for 15 bucks.  the only thing is you really have to look through the premiers because the eyelets might be off a little. if your look for a good eye rod i would go with either of these, my 28" avid is probably the best rod i have ever used.

Offline WALL3Y3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2004, 04:58 AM »
I have to agree with the St. Croix.  I picked up 3 more after they went on sale for $15 @ Gander.  Very sensative through the handle and good backbone.  I'd go with the 32" M or 28" M/ML. I have every one they came out with this year...yet to catch a walleye tho LMAO.  When I do, I'm geared up!

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2004, 12:57 PM »
I use a 28" Ugly Stick. It is pretty sensitive and strong as he!!. If I was concerned with big fish, I would probably buy a Thom Bros walleye sweetheart.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.