Author Topic: Muskie fishing  (Read 3135 times)

longercast101

Muskie fishing
« on: Jan 05, 2004, 08:12 AM »
Relatively new to ice fishing.  I have heard guys talk about using chubs for pike fishing through the ice.  Does the same apply to muskies?

tolzie

Re:Muskie fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2004, 09:13 PM »
I have ice fishing for 30 years or more. Mostly in northern WI, MN and now in Nebraska. I have never heard of a Muskie being taken through the ice.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2004, 06:04 PM »
I have also been ice fishingfor 30 years and have caught numerous Muskies and Hybrids legally thru the ice.Chubs work and live bait is better than dead bait for purestrains tigers are a different story.Pike tactics usually work.
Mr.Esox

trapdaddy21

« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2004, 07:55 PM »
catching a muskie through the ice is extremly rare, and i have only witnessed it one time, which happened to be a few days ago as the guy i was fishing with caught a 33 incher on a fathead. unless your fishing a lake well known for muskies i wouldn't count on catching one through the ice, its my understanding that muskies are extremely dormant in the winter months. the lake i was fishing on has pretty good muskie numbers, and very few get caught. i've been told that muskie are the fish of ten thousand casts on open water, so i think they are probably about the fish of a million on the ice.

OU812

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2004, 09:02 AM »
Not sure if I agree guys....

I've fished the Nebraska Sandhills lakes all my life and we have taken a fair number of Musky. Honestly, they didn't seem much different than the action from Northern Pike. I remember hooking into at least a half dozen on Smith lake out near Rushville on a frozen December day. We were using live minnows. Actually, fishing for the Perch/Bass and coming up with some Musky/Pike to boot.

That lake is way out there but if it happens to be in your neighborhood, give it a try. Those were hybrids, by the way, but the panfishing has always been worth the drive for me. Outlet side.
 :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.