New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1032099 times)

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #7470 on: Feb 22, 2022, 06:13 AM »
Great report flukeman. That definitley looks like an eel.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7471 on: Feb 22, 2022, 06:16 AM »
Way to go everyone....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Catchthis44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7472 on: Feb 22, 2022, 06:36 AM »
Fished out of Chapman yesterday sun up to sun down.  Had the intention of running and gunning and did just that.  Ended up with 2 keeper walleye, five nice perch and last hour of day light was intense with walleye.  I caught 6 walleye and missed another 3 in the last hour.  I found a Jets hat on Lakeport shoals and left it on the door handle of the men's bathroom at Chapman.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7473 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:05 AM »
Awesome reports and pics everyone!!
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Jcirigliano3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7474 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:06 AM »
Ended with 9 perch total, fished Chapman from sunrise to sunset.  It was a long day but the quality of the fish made it worth it!  Lots of aggressive lookers throughout the day but they were pretty tight lipped.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7475 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:08 AM »
probablly the owner of the hat left it too  :roflmao:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7476 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:46 AM »

Nice fish everyone ,
 On the east end there is plenty of shove ice to drill through ,

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7477 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:47 AM »
Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well out there. Nice to see lots of kids the last few days. Sunday was slow for me, fish def got a workout chasing my jigs. Colder weather coming should tighten the top up.

Offline HooKEDUP24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7478 on: Feb 22, 2022, 08:57 AM »
Yesterday in 30fow had fish under me and my buddy from sunrise to sunset. A few short breaks in action but for the most part it was non stop. Between us probably 20 keeper eyes, 21 perch and as many shorts as you wanted, way too many to count plus a bonus 4+lb smallie. I caught majority on raps, he did better on spoons. Faster the better was the general rule, was almost like lake trout fishing.

Today two quick limits by 830 and 6 perch, touger more finicky bite but quailty fish maybe only 25 shorts and we decided to search for a more consistent perch bite instead of having to unhook any more shorts. Couldn't find any perch and bite just completely shut off so we called it a day at noon.

Similar day for us on Sunday. Walked a mile out.  Fished in a little shallow water than you.  100+ fish for two guys sun up to sundown.  All but three fish came out of the ice house holes.  A usual outing for me in PA is 25-50 holes drilled and constant hole hoping.  Fish weren’t picky, took tungsten jigs, raps and spoons equally well. 
Ice Fishing Marathoner

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7479 on: Feb 22, 2022, 11:08 AM »
Similar day for us on Sunday. Walked a mile out.  Fished in a little shallow water than you.  100+ fish for two guys sun up to sundown.  All but three fish came out of the ice house holes.  A usual outing for me in PA is 25-50 holes drilled and constant hole hoping.  Fish weren’t picky, took tungsten jigs, raps and spoons equally well.
definitely one of those days that make you feel like a hero, which means next trip lady o gonna remind you it's not always so easy

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7480 on: Feb 22, 2022, 01:28 PM »
Thanks guys. Sounds like a lot of guys are doing well. Nice fish everyone.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7481 on: Feb 22, 2022, 03:25 PM »
Fished my same holes today from sundays trip and did pretty well again.  The bite was aggressive right from the first drop with a rap then they got shy.  After seeing what was in their stomachs from Sunday I decided to scale waay down and match the hatch. That was the ticket and finished my walleye limit out and caught 10 perch before I finally forced myself to pack up  ,most were 11 and 12” fatties. Snapped my favorite perch rod setting the hook on one of the walleyes that barely bit. The jig was a tiny bluegill jig tipped with a tiny plastic I use for panfish. I really hope this ice has a chance to firm back up so we can get a couple more weekends out here.

I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7482 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:10 PM »
Nice job! Was a nasty afternoon with all the rain to be out there. Saw the headlight of a machine heading off the ice on my way home from work this evening.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7483 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:10 PM »
Nice job! Was a nasty afternoon with all the rain to be out there. Saw the headlight of a machine heading off the ice on my way home from work this evening.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7484 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:16 PM »
Thanks, I was actually off the ice and halfway home before the rain hit. Most of the action was done by 10:30 but I couldn’t break from the challenge of working the perch up but finally called it around 11:30.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7485 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:18 PM »
Nice job and reports everyone. Always enjoy seeing everyone’s success.

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7486 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:35 PM »
Yup nice photos guys. It's nice to see you getting into them on good safe ice. Looking like Prime Time is here for some and it sounds like a Big Bite is close by...Greenhornet73 that catch was worth a broken pole I guess you could say...Here's a pic of a walleye chowder I concocted the other day to wet your appetites. I remembered to take a pic before I ate it this time. It was delicious too. Thanks again  ><{{{{*>

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7487 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:37 PM »
Looks pretty tasty!

Offline Jcirigliano3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7488 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:42 PM »
That looks amazing!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7489 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:48 PM »
dug share the recipt buddy ....good to see folks pulling fish

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7490 on: Feb 22, 2022, 06:07 PM »

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7491 on: Feb 22, 2022, 06:37 PM »
Well, it's a simple recipe. I don't usually cook from scratch, so I cheat and use a can of New England Chowder for the base. I try to ignore the clams Lmao.
I saute' the fish of choice with potobella mushrooms in olive oil and some butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and a good dash of Worcestershire sauce. I guess at the measurements, lol...After the fish and mushrooms are done (not long) add them to the soup...that's it, adjust the taste if need be and enjoy. Add 2 cans of soup and more fish of course if you're feeding everyone. Perch & walleye are the only fish I use. It's easy and quick, a great lunch or dinner with a perch sandwich or a cheese burger on a toated onion roll. Mmmm Good stuff...I just cooked a cheeseburger with the same mushrooms and seasonings and cheddar cheese on a toasted onion roll.  ::)
Keep on walkin' on water as long as you guys can and be smart and safe. Watch the cracks and always use a spud as you walk up to one before you attempt to cross it. I learned that the hard way...You may need it to keep you azz from falling through the crack!

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7492 on: Feb 22, 2022, 06:45 PM »
Dug that chowder looks fantastic, thanks for sharing the pics and recipe. I thought I saw mushrooms in there.

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #7493 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:11 PM »
You can make a good chowder base with other soups too, cream of celery, cream of mushroom, cream of corn and others.  Great idea DUG!!

Looks very tasty!!

SeanP

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7494 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:27 PM »
Wrapped my 4 days at the lake up today. Saturday was tough with the wind didn’t produce much, Sunday managed a few nice perch and 2 keeper eyes Sunday night. Monday I put the pieces of the puzzle together and smashed the perch out of Chapman on the AM bite. All really nice fish too can only really think of 2-3 that weren’t over the 10” mark. Then Monday night I think I got plain lucky. First spot out of Lewis point where we did well Sunday night was pretty stained. Fished it for about 30 minutes and decided we needed to move to find cleaner water. Pushed off maybe a half mile from the spot and hit 30’ of cleaner but not clear water. Marked fish pretty consistently, but then from 530-615ish it was drop and reel walleye fishing. I had never experienced anything like it before. I believe between two of us and a dead stick in the shack we tripled once and doubled multiple times. I think we only managed one throw back in all of this. Naturally the second fish of the triple header produced a 25 3/4” fish. Almost lost it at the hole when it popped the jig but due to the size just had to thumb it onto the ice. It was unreal the panoptix was lit up the whole time with multiple fish feeding. Really looking forward to my next trip back. (All fish were released as well)

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7495 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:52 PM »
That’s awesome, I’ve never experienced that kind of walleye action besides a quick 2 or 3 fish flurry at a time. Good stuff

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7496 on: Feb 22, 2022, 09:38 PM »
That's the kind of bite we all dream about. Congratulations on hitting it.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7497 on: Feb 23, 2022, 08:38 AM »
Reminds me of a perch bite one year when I first started where the perch were in such a frenzy one day we were pulling up two at a time on double rigs and even had a couple jump up through the hole chasing the caught fish we were reeling in.

Offline robert.d12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7498 on: Feb 23, 2022, 12:54 PM »
Reminds me of a perch bite one year when I first started where the perch were in such a frenzy one day we were pulling up two at a time on double rigs and even had a couple jump up through the hole chasing the caught fish we were reeling in.

It’s stories like this that make me get out of bed in the morning

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7499 on: Feb 23, 2022, 12:59 PM »
Fished my same holes today from sundays trip and did pretty well again.  The bite was aggressive right from the first drop with a rap then they got shy.  After seeing what was in their stomachs from Sunday I decided to scale waay down and match the hatch. That was the ticket and finished my walleye limit out and caught 10 perch before I finally forced myself to pack up  ,most were 11 and 12” fatties. Snapped my favorite perch rod setting the hook on one of the walleyes that barely bit. The jig was a tiny bluegill jig tipped with a tiny plastic I use for panfish. I really hope this ice has a chance to firm back up so we can get a couple more weekends out here.

Good info. What did you find in the stomachs? We checked the walleye and didn't see much but several perch had tiny gobies. Like 1/2" tiny tiny golbies

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.