The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ice fishing Maine for stocked brown trout and brookies  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Roaddog2

• IceShanty Rookie
I’m taking a trip up to central Maine next weekend for some ice fishing. Me and my buddy typically only target largemouth bass through the ice but this particular lake has a lot of stocked brown trout and even some brookies that we want to get after. Any tips on setting up tip-ups, jigs, what size hooks to use, bait, etc would be very helpful!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice fishing Maine for stocked brown trout and brookies
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:35 AM »
Brookies tend to follow shore lines. #6 hooks. Smelt or crawlers for bait. Depending on when the fish were stocked and when the season on said particular lake opens... there may not be "a lot" of stocked fish left in there. If the fish were stocked last November and the season opened on Jan 1 with easy access to the lake, you could be bored. If it opens on Feb. 1, you'll probably have good action.
It must be something in the water.

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice fishing Maine for stocked brown trout and brookies
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:26 PM »
#8 hooks for brookies and salmon set for brookies in 1'-5' of water near shore off a point is even better med to small dace are trout candy for stockies and natives. Salmon smelts or emeralds 20' of water 1'-4' under ice most of my sets for either have no sinkers on them. Browns I have caught on brookie, sets salmon sets and even togue sets that were bouncin on bottom. I use #4 hooks for togue.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.