Author Topic: Alton Bay Bait shop-closed  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
Alton Bay Bait shop-closed
« on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:22 AM »
According to their Facebook page, Bears Bizzy corner bait shop has permanently closed.

Very sad news, I got all my bait here since I don't know when.

Hopefully something else will take its place.

Circle grocery bait is a joke...
Life is good!

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Alton Bay Bait shop-closed
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:03 AM »
Unfortunate. I liked to get my bait there too. In years previous under the old ownership, he generally had pretty solid bait there and I liked how it didn't shock so easily due to that space not having been properly heated. It's tough to make a small bait/tackle/sport shop fly around there for some reason. Seen any number of them come and go in fairly short order over the years. Coyote creek out in Rochester does well but they don't even do bait. Worms. Hot Spot in New Durham was around for a while, but they couldn't make it. Now you got a gun dealer there. Had hoped someone would take another run at a full sport shop in the space. Tough. If you fish that end of the lake it's nice having someone with bait around, besides the circle.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:07 AM »
Does the Flight Deck do swimming bait? Tanks? Still kind of a haul.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2019, 07:15 AM »
I am the new owner of Alton Bay Bait and Tackle in Alton at 404 Main Street, Alton Bay, NH 03810. We are now open. We have a facebook page and are on the Alton Community Forum.

All the best Erik!  :clap:

The demise of small "mom n pop" shops always saddens me regardless of their location. Generally services and expertise are available there that no big box will ever be able to provide. I worked part time at one of our local shops for many years and know the challenges. Our failure to patronize magnifies the inherent demands of that business.

If I were closer you'd see me frequently. You NH guys, make sure you take care of Erik!  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2019, 05:26 AM »
All the best Erik!  :clap:

The demise of small "mom n pop" shops always saddens me regardless of their location. Generally services and expertise are available there that no big box will ever be able to provide. I worked part time at one of our local shops for many years and know the challenges. Our failure to patronize magnifies the inherent demands of that business.

If I were closer you'd see me frequently. You NH guys, make sure you take care of Erik!  ;)2
agreed, I am so glad wildlife in manchester is still running strong, been going since I was a kid, I dont shop there exclusively but try hard to buy as much as I can from them as the service is great, run by real sportsman too. Local support is huge. 
Salmonemia

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2019, 10:28 AM »
Berry's Bait south of Alton Circle of route 11 is small but solid.   Good people.

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2019, 06:01 AM »
I’m glad this shop is back open. Last year I had to resort to getting my bait at AJ’s in Meredith as I live in the Weirs.

I went in to get a dozen shiners specifically for 12 cusk traps for my son and I, only to get to the lake and find 11 and one so small it wasn’t even worth putting it on the hook. I was so pissed, I know times are tight and bait was tough last year but...WTH! I haven’t been back nor will I ever.
Life is good!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2019, 08:54 AM »
I’m glad this shop is back open. Last year I had to resort to getting my bait at AJ’s in Meredith as I live in the Weirs.

I went in to get a dozen shiners specifically for 12 cusk traps for my son and I, only to get to the lake and find 11 and one so small it wasn’t even worth putting it on the hook. I was so pissed, I know times are tight and bait was tough last year but...WTH! I haven’t been back nor will I ever.

I am laughing sitting here reading this but as you, I would be pretty "upset".
Just add water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.