Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Best ice cleats  (Read 12625 times)

Offline artfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Best ice cleats
« on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:37 AM »
Took a hard fall on the ice yesterday with cheap cleats that only had teeth in the front. Looking for recommendations. Love to ice fish but being on blood thinner makes a fall a major concern. Our ice was a slick as I have ever seen it. Want something that really grabs. I have tried quite a few of the cheaper stretch ones and most fall off and have poor grip. What works?

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best ice cleats
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2017, 05:22 PM »
Hillsound Trail Crampons, better than Kahtoolas because of the foot strap over the front of your boot. Plus the Kahtoolas have some bad reviews about the rubber they use breaking. Hillsounds are the best ones I've ever bought. Can't believe all the people that don't wear ice cleats.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2017, 05:47 PM »
Never had a issue with the cheap ones with front only cleats, the older I get the harder those are to walk in. Bought the Kahtoolas today, hopefully try them tomorrow. They have a 2 year warranty and hope to never use it, if they don't last will stick with the cheap ones.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:52 PM »
I like the Khatoolas.  I have two sets and have never had an issue with the rubber breaking.  I spent a year trying the cheap varieties and had breaks and falls with all the HT and other 12.00 ice cleats.  My buddy uses chains and he slips and slides all over the place.   After having to shuffle his feet all over Macbride yesterday, he ordered a pair of Khatoolas. 

I don't know about the other brand mentioned and am sure they are good too. 

Definitely recommend getting a good set of cleats.  It takes one fall to end your ice season or worse.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Kahtoola microspikes. I can run across glass ice to chase tipups and have never once slipped or lost grip. Expensive, but cheaper than a hospital bill.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:07 PM »
I have a 10-12 year old pair of Stabilicers. They work awesome.  I couldn't even say how many miles I have walked in those things. They look like I opened them last week. Just an excellent product in every way.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:32 PM »
x2 i have had a pair for quite a few years and they are the bees knees.  wear them in all sorts of situations not just ice fishing.  they are easy on and off and stay put.  wife wears them out when it is icy in the driveway too.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:33 PM »
x2 on the stabilicers!!!!

Offline crappeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:42 PM »
Wouldn't go without kahtoolahs

Offline Welch251

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:43 PM »
Kathoolas microspikes hands down !! Just got a pair for Christmas love them I could run on the ice if I wanted to!!
Red screens and tight lines!!😀😀

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:08 PM »
Never had a issue with the cheap ones with front only cleats, the older I get the harder those are to walk in. Bought the Kahtoolas today, hopefully try them tomorrow. They have a 2 year warranty and hope to never use it, if they don't last will stick with the cheap ones.

Regardless of the brand, you need the spikes on the heels.  When you walk normally your lead foot has the heel hitting the walking surface first.  Thus with nothing on it you have to remember to walk on the ball of your feet.  I had the cheap ones last year too, I biffed it, hit hard, my head bounced off the ice.  I went home and bought Kahtoolas.

On Black Friday I bought both of my adult sons a Yak Trax version that has kahtoola type spikes, but they are on a metal plate.  So far so good.  I am not a fan of the Yak Trax springy ones, at least for ice fishing.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:55 AM »
On Black Friday I bought both of my adult sons a Yak Trax version that has kahtoola type spikes, but they are on a metal plate.  So far so good.  I am not a fan of the Yak Trax springy ones, at least for ice fishing.

Completely agree here. Went from sliding with those spring Yak Trax to being able jog on bare ice with Kahtoola's.

I did have the rubber snap on a pair but I think it was 'operator error'. I left them on some large boots after ice season when I should have taken them off to relieve the tension.  Fantastic customer service and a new pair was shipped to my door as they have a great warranty.

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:45 AM »
I have a 10-12 year old pair of Stabilicers. They work awesome.  I couldn't even say how many miles I have walked in those things. They look like I opened them last week. Just an excellent product in every way.

I have Stabilicers also....mine are most likely that old too and they look like new.  They are very well made and provide great traction.

https://www.amazon.com/STABILicers-Original-Heavy-Stabilicers-Traction/dp/B000C20OUC?th=1&psc=1

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:22 AM »
Thanks Royalwapiti for the learning how to walk, I've been walking on the ice for a long time and didn't mind the dragging of the feet. The older I get the harder it is to do that, I've never fallen on the ice with the cheap ones. This year I wanted to upgrade and the Kahtoolas worked great,  pricey but we'll worth it. Got the last pair of XL at Kabeles yesterday.

Offline sparkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2017, 01:08 PM »

The one and only I'll ever use again ice fishing

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2017, 01:29 PM »
Hillsound Trail Crampons, better than Kahtoolas because of the foot strap over the front of your boot. Plus the Kahtoolas have some bad reviews about the rubber they use breaking. Hillsounds are the best ones I've ever bought. Can't believe all the people that don't wear ice cleats.
.            I'll second that the hillsound Trail  Cramptons are great!!!

Offline jbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gary Owen
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Tried them all and they all stop slipping but some kill my legs and back. For ice fishing I finally found a pair that work well, easily adjust for different boots and fast to put on. No darned rubber to stretch and and break or to detangle. These are Stabil icers. Has nylon straps with strong velcro. Also a full hard foot pad with sided bolts that grip the ice but not so long they trip you. Once you adjust the toe straps all you do is run the ankle strap around you ankle and attach the velcro. Once these are adjusted for a certain boot all you have to do is slide your toe in and attach the ankle strap. Great set of cleats.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2018, 09:21 AM »
These are the cleats I wear, picked them up at Fleet Farm like 3-4 years ago and they've been awesome. The rubber is holding up great and haven't had a single issue with them. Well worth the money!

ICETrekkers Diamond Grip Traction Cleats, Large (Men's 9.5-12/Women's 10.5), Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A3T8Z6O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_izLhCbVVT74Z1

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2018, 09:39 AM »
I love my k&E Ice chizels. They are easy on and off and fit my mickey's well.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2018, 09:40 AM »
I do a lot of "trudging" and I prefer to use snowshoes as I think it makes the trudging easier, even in shallow snow.

I remove them when I arrive at the fishing spot. I bought some of the standard cleats, but they simply don't work as well for me.

Look at the traction on these.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2018, 12:12 PM »
Kahtoola microspikes. I can run across glass ice to chase tipups and have never once slipped or lost grip. Expensive, but cheaper than a hospital bill.

Hard to beat Kahtoola when on glare ice.  Just have to be careful when swinging your leg over the ATV seat.  I have torn up the seat yet, but the front side of the rear fender has a few scratches.  >:( ::)  Still better than going a$$ of tea kettle at my age.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Less than 2 yrs of  ice fishing with my Kahtoola's and the side strap broke. Thank goodness for old posts I guess now I know when I bought them. Called Kahtoola, sent a pic and should be getting a new pair in the mail soon. Not impressed that they broke this soon with limited use, very impressed with the customer service though if they do send a new pair.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2018, 04:31 PM »
Less than 2 yrs of  ice fishing with my Kahtoola's and the side strap broke. Thank goodness for old posts I guess now I know when I bought them. Called Kahtoola, sent a pic and should be getting a new pair in the mail soon. Not impressed that they broke this soon with limited use, very impressed with the customer service though if they do send a new pair.

That's pretty awesome service if they do! I had a pair of YakTrax do that when I was kicking the ice away from around the hole. Never bought another pair after that.

Offline Spotstealer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2018, 04:45 PM »
I have a couple pairs of Yak Tracks. I've had good luck with them, one pair is at least 5 years old now. I think I paid less than 10.00 for the one pair and won the other pair in a raffle. They offer great traction.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2018, 04:51 PM »
They recommend  after every use take the micros off,  , my bud had his break from leaving them stretched on his boots for 2 seasons and they replaced his both times , customer service is top notch
Personall my 9-10 year old Kahtoolas are made a little heavier , compared to the new ones

Offline Spotstealer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2018, 04:57 PM »
Took a hard fall on the ice yesterday with cheap cleats that only had teeth in the front. Looking for recommendations. Love to ice fish but being on blood thinner makes a fall a major concern. Our ice was a slick as I have ever seen it. Want something that really grabs. I have tried quite a few of the cheaper stretch ones and most fall off and have poor grip. What works?
the Yak tracks I have have grippers on the toe and heal. Like I previously mentioned, the one pair I have I've use more than 5 seasons. Last season one of my buddies to a hard digger because he only had the toe grip. When we were younger it would have been been funny. But as we get older, not so much humor anymore.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2018, 05:15 PM »
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2018, 05:16 PM »
These...Merry Christmas from my daughter. 🙂

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2018, 05:31 PM »
I like Kahtoolas also and have used them for years, but $70/pair is robbery even with their warranty. This year I'm using 3/8" Kold Kutter #8 screws and much prefer that system to

Kahtoolas or Yaktrax or any of the oddball types. Nine bucks for fifty screws delivered on Ebay. You won't regret it.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2018, 05:55 PM »
I like Kahtoolas also and have used them for years, but $70/pair is robbery even with their warranty. This year I'm using 3/8" Kold Kutter #8 screws and much prefer that system to
Kahtoolas or Yaktrax or any of the oddball types. Nine bucks for fifty screws
delivered on Ebay. You won't regret it.

So you put the screws into the bottom of your boots permanently?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.