Author Topic: New to tipups  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
New to tipups
« on: Mar 17, 2018, 11:03 AM »
Full disclosure : I've never caught a fish on a tipup. Me looking at a tipup is like Virginia looking at UMBC. I should win but am being destroyed. Anyone have step by step instructions on how to use these things? I do have tipup line on them with a swivel, that's it. Virginia scored 54 points, after all.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline adkiceman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to tipups
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2018, 09:05 PM »
Well sir, let’s start with this.  What kind of tip ups did you get?  Polar, thermal, or the standard cross frame type?
I’m feeling alright, I’m feeling ooooookay! - moe.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2018, 09:21 PM »
The Frabill thermal ones
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline adkiceman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2018, 10:07 PM »
Ok, next question.  What species of fish do you plan on targeting?   

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2018, 10:25 PM »
Northern pike

Offline adkiceman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2018, 07:06 AM »
Ok, the way I rig my tip ups for pike is like this.   I tie a 3’ ish fluorocarbon leader to the swivel, I use 20lb seaguar red label.  Then tie a size 8 treble on.   Good to go.   Just make sure you give the leader a good stretch before you Bait up and put the tip up in.   I have caught pike over 20lbs on this set up.  Just make sure you pull em in easy and let em run when they want to.  Some people like steel leaders, but I outfish people with steel every time.  Also, don’t “set” the hook, just start pulling them in easy and dont start pulling if the fish is on a run, wait for it to stop.  This will help prevent break offs.   Good luck!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2018, 08:25 AM »
So, there is a bent little wire thingy beside the spool. Do I use that as kind of a tension clip to keep the bait at a certain depth?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2018, 08:55 AM »
Mr.Seaguar the bent little wire beside spool is a combination line guide/bait clip pass your line through loop in wire and set tip up for fishing. If using large live bait make a small loop in your line place loop into slit/opening in line guide this is supposed to prevent bait fish from setting off the tip up. One suggestion if your tip ups do not have extendable flags you may want to purchase some one problem with the Thermal tip ups is the short distance flag is above ice when fish takes bait and flag flies especially true if fishing on lake with deep layer of snow on top of the ice. This style of tip up is also easily hidden by blowing snow you might want to come up with some type of location marker to prevent loosing any of your tip ups.
Steve

Offline adkiceman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2018, 09:28 AM »
Mr. Seaguar, i pm’ed you

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2018, 09:37 AM »
We usually have very little snow and excessive wind. Most years we have pretty bare ice

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2018, 09:55 AM »
 In that case thermal tip ups should serve you well hope my posts and info. Adkiceman 1 sent you get you catching northern pike.
Steve

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Check out some youtube videos. I'm sure you'll find quite detailed instructions and suggestions on there.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I began using the tipups this week. Caught some northern and 1 walleye. Walleye was about 23" so average size is great so far. Biggest northern was about 26 with a 24 and a 23 and a few snakes. Have one tipup not working correctly. The flag doesn't raise up so the spool can't turn so the fish pulls the string tight and then steals my chub. If you are close to the tipup you hear a clunk when it happens. I will solve the problem by next year.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Glad to read you are catching fish with your tip ups. I'm trying to think of what maybe causing problem with on tip up right now my mind is drawing a blank. Stay safe and enjoy what remains of ice fishing season in your area.
Steve

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2018, 09:13 PM »
I figured out my tipup problem. The wire, when set, fits down into a notch in the round cover. This wire is too long so it sticks against the cover and doesn't raise up. Will not be an issue going forward. Caught another walleye, just shy of 26" so my average size is going up.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Caught my first largrmouth and my first muskies yesterday.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Apr 09, 2018, 11:27 AM »
nice, congrats Mr. Seaguar!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.