Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Sleeper Rental on Millelacs, Mn  (Read 2022 times)

Offline W_Morrison

• IceShanty Rookie
Sleeper Rental on Millelacs, Mn
« on: Nov 09, 2008, 10:11 AM »
Me and some buddies are thinking of renting a sleeper house on Millelacs this winter, any input on on the resorts would be great.  Thinking about Hunter Winfields, Mac's Twin Bay, or Appeldorns, but I'm open to any others you guys might know about.  Let me know witch ones are good or bad.  Any other input would be great.  Thanks

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sleeper Rental on Millelacs, Mn
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2008, 11:59 AM »
I heard mille lacs was kinda on the downturn this past year.  Tougher bite than years past.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2008, 12:02 PM »
I agree with CB..... From what I hear it will be another slow year at Mille Lacs.  We rented sleepers there last year and caught 7 perch in 3 days.  Walleyes just aren't cooperating with the huge perch hatch they had recently we saw tons of 2" perch on the view.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2008, 12:14 PM »
Agree with the posts above.  If you are going to make the drive from IA, I'd keep going another hour or two and get yourself on some productive water.  Don't get me wrong, Mille Lacs is a fantastic lake, but the baitfish population cycle is in high gear right now. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2008, 05:55 PM »
True.... :-\

It is one of those lakes that one fish can make the whole trip though.

I am going to give you guys one bit of advice, come and fish as soon as you can. Once February rolls around, the bite really dies down. The coldest days of winter can be as tough as the hottest days of summer.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2008, 11:37 AM »
Me and some buddies are thinking of renting a sleeper house on Millelacs this winter, any input on on the resorts would be great.  Thinking about Hunter Winfields, Mac's Twin Bay, or Appeldorns, but I'm open to any others you guys might know about.  Let me know witch ones are good or bad.  Any other input would be great.  Thanks

I heard that Fisherman's Warf has some awsome sleeper cabins for Mille Lacs. I was thinkning about giving Mille Lacs a try myself, but then have heard that the catch rates were down quite a bit. Not sure if it would be a good time to hit Mille Lacs now. Our group of guys has been going to Upper Red Lake and doing the sleeper thing. So far it's worked out great. We were just thinking about trying to find a place like Mille Lacs which would be 3-4 hours closer to home. If you go in Feb. it can be a little slow, but when we went last year in Dec. we averaged about 100 walleye a day between the four of us. The outfitters at Upper Red Lake are great, been through three of them. 1.Chad Benson 2.Raveling Outdoors 3. Waskish Minnow Station. We've caught so trophy Crappie & Pike outta Upper Red. So If your not sure about Mille Lacs, maybe give Upper Red a try.  Here are some of the Pics from our trips to Upper Red.

Out of the three trips I've gone to Upper Red lake in the last two years, when the fishing was a little slow we caught trophy sized Pike and Crappie. When the fishing was good, we caught more walleye & perch then we knew what to do with. Great though when you bring the fish frier and cook them up on the ice though. This last trip we stopped at Black Duck to get our bait and asked the guy if the walleye bite was on. When we told him we were going to Upper Red, he laughed and said yea there isn't a time when the walleye won't bite on Upper Red.

Offline firedutch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:11 AM »
Any of those places on upper red lake have websites?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2008, 07:36 PM »
just use www.exploreminnesota.com and poke around a bit. You will find links everything.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2008, 08:22 PM »
Any of those places on upper red lake have websites?

I've gone through three different outfitters, but I really liked Chad Benson the most for an outfitter. He seemed to do the best job and had the best outhouse. If you google or yahoo him with upper red lake you should find his web page.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.