Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Puttin my jig order 2gether  (Read 4011 times)

Offline pistol54pete

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I flat out love the outdoors!
Puttin my jig order 2gether
« on: Nov 12, 2008, 08:23 AM »
Well so far I'm going with 1 JIG-A-WHOPPER flutter bug kit & 2 panfish kits #1 & #2 from Jammin Jigs. How bout u guys....anybody puttin an order 2gether? My toothy critter supply is looking pretty good bsides I just pick up that tackle during the season as I need it.I mostly target panfish but there r trips where I'll just go with tip-ups....depending on what body of water I'm on & the mood I'm in....my family luvs pickled pike  :tipup:
If the ocean were beer & I was a duck...I'd swim to the bottom & drink myself up!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
Re: Puttin my jig order 2gether
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2008, 09:13 AM »
I'm a dyed in the wool dropper rig guy....tip ups too.  I make a lot of lures into dropper rigs...even Chubby Darters.  I use a dead stick next to it usually...my favorites are (in order)  Northland Rattle spoons (1st through 3rd place), 4th place - pilki/ hali / ect.  5th place - Northland forage minnow.  The rounding out the box - Genz worms, ice flies, nuclear ants, and the little gold hook with a single spinner and 2 red beads.  Chubby darters are awesome for bringing fish in...and their new little teeny ones look incredible...probably going to be my new favorite....if they could only get a rattling version.  I just don't take much tackle I guess...I have the box that came with my FL-18...that is all I need or want.  I don't get the "tackle box" deal.  My buddy has a huge one...never figured it out.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2008, 09:50 AM »
For panfish i would recommend

-Neon Tiger Jigs
-Neon or standard bobber fry (great for finicky gills)
-Neon Moon Glows
-Football jigs
-Neon Glow Grubs

For colors that is up to you and the preference you like for the lakes that you fish.  I will say that glow blue and red are dynamite at night or stained water for gills and crappies.

Offline pistol54pete

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2008, 10:44 AM »
I do use the dropper rig on one of my tip-ups but haven't really tried it on my panfish rigs....gonna have to mess with that this season.I don't carry a large amount of tackle with me either but some of the ponds I fish r pretty heavy with tree structure so I have been known to donate a jig or 15 on ocassion  :o.I'm also gonna pick up another vex this yr & I'd like any input on the fl-18 compared to the fl-20....haven't decided on which 1 to get yet. Thanks  :tipup:
If the ocean were beer & I was a duck...I'd swim to the bottom & drink myself up!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2008, 12:58 PM »
well...I can say that both are superior units.  Fished with all those from the -8 to the -20.  Target separation and power is the same (as far as I notice)....zoom is cool, it can tell you about what they are keying in on....the spoon or the bait on the dropper.  I have found even changing up that length can help.  The question is - will the extra $200 make $200 of difference in your success?  Could you use that money for something more productive?  You can get a camera with a fl-12 for about the same as a -20....I guess it's a matter of choice and ponderance.  Just don't go for a unit because your buddy has one...LOL
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline pistol54pete

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2008, 04:16 PM »
Well I do have a cam & an older -8 which still works just fine....but now the wife,bro & sis in law plus the kids come along once in awhile which they have NO gear whatsoever so this is my *golden* opportunity to upgrade  ;). I haven't been around the -20 but I did fish next to a fella at Brushy the 1 & only time I was able to make it over there last winter. He let me sit with him & ck the unit out but he was packin up when I showed so I didn't really get much time with it.I'm thinking he had the dual puck if I remember right....looked like a nice unit from what little time I had with it.Awwwww heck with it I'm gonna just get the -18 dual puck :tipup:

Offline KOELE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2008, 10:51 PM »
I'm a dyed in the wool dropper rig guy....tip ups too.  I make a lot of lures into dropper rigs...even Chubby Darters.  I use a dead stick next to it usually...my favorites are (in order)  Northland Rattle spoons (1st through 3rd place), 4th place - pilki/ hali / ect.  5th place - Northland forage minnow.  The rounding out the box - Genz worms, ice flies, nuclear ants, and the little gold hook with a single spinner and 2 red beads.  Chubby darters are awesome for bringing fish in...and their new little teeny ones look incredible...probably going to be my new favorite....if they could only get a rattling version.  I just don't take much tackle I guess...I have the box that came with my FL-18...that is all I need or want.  I don't get the "tackle box" deal.  My buddy has a huge one...never figured it out.

what do you mean by dropper rig.  that might be a dumb question but im curious.  i saw chubby darters the other day but i wasn't sure about them.  but if you say they work them i might pick a couple up.  what colors of chubby darters do you use?

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:40 AM »
what do you mean by dropper rig.  that might be a dumb question but im curious.  i saw chubby darters the other day but i wasn't sure about them.  but if you say they work them i might pick a couple up.  what colors of chubby darters do you use?

Match the hatch!  Or, if you need to bring them in on flats, use a chrome with some flash.

Dropper rig:  Normally a single or treble hook on a line (or chain) that you attached to the spoon or lure.  With chubby's, I take off the back treble and split ring.  Then, I take off the bottom treble but leave the split ring.  Now, use a length of flourocarbon line (8-10 lb) or whatever line you think is suitable and tie a treble (or single) not more than 2.5" long and attach to lower split ring .  I don't like braid lines or super lines for this.  They seem to tangle.  The lure or spoon is the attractor..as a fish rises, they run into the bait.  I think the underlying theory (at least mine) is that the spoon / lure resembles a fish and the bait underneath them (dropper hook with grub or minnow) looks like something the "fish" dropped or wounded.  I just seem to out fish people with plain grub jigs or spoons with the bait hooked right to them.  I should clarify:  I outfish people sitting right next to me...LOL.  Also, the heavier wieght allows you to quicky get the bait back down on misses or allows it to get through some of those smaller aggressive fish that tend to be very active in schooling perch.  Doesn't seem like much, but if you are taking 20 seconds to drop a bait...you catch enough dinks and pretty soon it adds up.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:21 PM »
I placed an order last week and got my jigs (and new ice line) in the mail..ready to go. I have really been sold on Custom Jigs and Spins lures the past several years. I almost use their Ratso lure exclusively for panfish. I ordered some of the RS10 size in chartruese and glow brite chartruese. Their profile and action is almost dead on for mimicking a small minnow when jigged. I have gotten to the point where I don't even add live bait anymore. I just squeeze a waxworm and rub the scent on the plastic portion and start jigging.

Here is the website for their company (and it's in Iowa!!) I order on-line and it comes in a few days..plus, they include a color catalog with your order (which is great to look at when you're not on the ice, or waiting for some!)

www.customjigsandspins .com

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2008, 04:28 PM »
Match the hatch!  Or, if you need to bring them in on flats, use a chrome with some flash.

Dropper rig:  Normally a single or treble hook on a line (or chain) that you attached to the spoon or lure.  With chubby's, I take off the back treble and split ring.  Then, I take off the bottom treble but leave the split ring.  Now, use a length of flourocarbon line (8-10 lb) or whatever line you think is suitable and tie a treble (or single) not more than 2.5" long and attach to lower split ring .  I don't like braid lines or super lines for this.  They seem to tangle.  The lure or spoon is the attractor..as a fish rises, they run into the bait.  I think the underlying theory (at least mine) is that the spoon / lure resembles a fish and the bait underneath them (dropper hook with grub or minnow) looks like something the "fish" dropped or wounded.  I just seem to out fish people with plain grub jigs or spoons with the bait hooked right to them.  I should clarify:  I outfish people sitting right next to me...LOL.  Also, the heavier wieght allows you to quicky get the bait back down on misses or allows it to get through some of those smaller aggressive fish that tend to be very active in schooling perch.  Doesn't seem like much, but if you are taking 20 seconds to drop a bait...you catch enough dinks and pretty soon it adds up.

That is a great idea with the chubby darter, every time I see one of those, I say to myself, I am not waisting money on those.....but that sounds good with a dropper rig.  What size do you use with the chubby darter? 

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2008, 08:00 PM »
A chubby darter cant be beat. If you learn how to fish them.  I iced 5 eyes over 23 inches in 15 mins one night. Tipped with nothing.

They wouldnt hit a kastmaster with a minnow head but theyd hit the chubby.  Go figure.
Made me a believer.

Offline rod bender

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2008, 08:47 PM »

That is a great idea with the chubby darter, every time I see one of those, I say to myself, I am not waisting money on those.....but that sounds good with a dropper rig.  What size do you use with the chubby darter? 

I had good luck with the chubbies last year on crappies.  I use a #3.  Also did well on some jumbo perch.  #4 is a good size for walleyes.  I've got a #4 rigged with dropper chains and have also caught perch on it.

Koele, if I'm reading your post correctly, do you only have one dropper line?  From the front split ring? 

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2008, 10:00 PM »
I just ordered form Jammin Jigs last night.  I also plan on putting in an order for CJ&S as well. Pretty soon I will have to order a new tackle box to hold all these.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2008, 09:26 AM »
just recieved my 4th order a few days ago.  ill keep some and give some away for the holidays.  since last season ive ordered all my jigs from jammin.  glad to see their a sponsor.   

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2008, 09:51 AM »
I had good luck with the chubbies last year on crappies.  I use a #3.  Also did well on some jumbo perch.  #4 is a good size for walleyes.  I've got a #4 rigged with dropper chains and have also caught perch on it.

Koele, if I'm reading your post correctly, do you only have one dropper line?  From the front split ring? 

I think this one was for me.  Yes, only on the front (or bottom) d-ring with split ring.  Balances very well...

The chubby does take some time.  You need to use it to get confidence with it.  Icing the first nice fish seems to make fishing with it more fun.  I would use it on days when you are marking fish that won't bite.  The chubby can trigger some of these neutral to negative fish...the dropper is just a way to get some of the more finicky biters to lose their lock jaw.  Play with dropper lengths...I recommend chain droppers since they appear to keep the dropper hook from tangling better than mono.  Buy the smallest one (they make a real small one this year)..this is one that will allow smaller fish to give you the confidence to fish larger ones IMO.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2008, 10:26 AM »
so, are you supposed to jig them constantly or raise them and let them fall?  i notice they wiggle on the fall.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2008, 01:55 PM »
I like to use my vex to get the lure 2" off the bottom...quiver it.  This resmebles a perch (in the perch patter) fedding on emerging larvae (grubs on dropper)...it gives you the ability to attract not only opportunistic perch to compete for the grubs...you may have some larger predator taking the perch unaware.  But, that action is for fish I can see.  I use the snap and flutter when my vex is lonely to try and call in fish.  IMO..a chrome patters in good in clear coupled with a dead stick minnow a couple feet away.  In stained or darker conditions, I use rattle spoons (buckshot northaland) with a dead stick minnow.  I can't think of many conditions I don't use a plain minnnow on a dead stick.  It's just a nice set up for lurking or lazy fish...or lazy anglers..LOL.   Jigging one rod is enough work for me. 

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2008, 08:29 PM »
who has the best price on chubby Darters?

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2008, 08:48 PM »
I just bought a few diamond and gill pill jigs online.  I need a couple more Hali jigs and I think I will by one more chubby darter.  I will put a leader on the chubby since I lost two last season pike or walleye.  At $8  a pop that was expensive for fish I never saw.   I think buying lures is an addiction. :)

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2008, 08:58 PM »
I purchased mine from both Cabelas and redrockstore.com.  $6.95 from Redrock and $7.99 from Cabelas.

Jeff

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2008, 10:21 PM »
That's for the tip on red rock.com
Ordered me a few chubby's to try out this year

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2008, 11:08 PM »
My wife won't let me buy any more jigs  :embarassed: Last time I looked. I had a soft case tackel box with all my ice fishing jigs with easily over $500 worth of jigs (1 box jigging raps, 1 box chubbies, 1 small box with small jigging raps and small chubbies, 1 box of all spoons, 1 box of plastics, 1 box of panfish jigs. Heck, last fall alone I had 2-$100 gift cards for cabela's from work, one went towards cubby darters, and one went toward jigging raps.  :o Good thing the wife doesn't  go with me when I go fishing, always got to buy the  tackle the fish are being caught on right. ;D

On another note, get the glow in the dark chubbies. The orange/red glow chubbies worked great at Upper Red Lake.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2008, 08:35 AM »
Ill agree with boji on that one it does get the neutral negative fish hitting for some reason.  I dance it lightly down there when theyre coming in.  Then pause it and have them come up to it.  Seems after that just a light tap with your finger on the back of the rod blank by the cork.  And wham! They slam it!  All my bigger eyes this last year came off #3 i think Natural Perch.

Good thing about the chubby is you can fish it like a jigging rap you can snap jig it you can deadstick it. All with no bait.  Or bait. Or you can experiment on your camera dancing it around and making it the most natural possible thing youve ever seen. 

Add a hali chain and a glow treble.  Etc etc.

Chubbys put bigger fish on the ice consistently no doubt.  Its almost my go to lure for walleyes.

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:38 PM »
Thanks for the info on the chubby darters......my break through lure last year was the ratso.....it seemed to get finicky fish to bite.  Never thought you could catch fish without bait but the rubber tail motion drives them nuts.  Also am a big fan of the Northalns Rattling Buckshot Jig..........little pricey at 4.00$ but well worth it......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.