Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake stocking  (Read 1120 times)

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
Clear Lake stocking
« on: Nov 06, 2006, 12:17 PM »
I just found this information from the Iowa DNR.

DNR Completes Record Walleye Stocking
by Lowell Washburn

CLEAR LAKE---Fall walleye stocking has been completed at Clear Lake.

According to district fisheries biologist, Jim Wahl, 40,000 advanced fingerling walleye were released into the lake during October: 22,000 9-inch advanced fingerlings were received from the Rathbun State Fish Hatchery, and an additional 18,000 6-inch advanced fingerlings were delivered from the State Fish Hatchery at Spirit Lake.

Including Clear Lake, the DNR stocked nearly 190,000 of these larger walleyes in 2006. This is the most advanced growth walleyes ever produced at Lake Rathbun. These newest aquatic residents, says Wahl, have a better than average chance for survival.

"These advanced fingerlings are in excellent body condition and have already survived the most dangerous part of their lives," said Wahl. "The availability of these large fingerlings has really added to our program. I think area anglers are very excited that we have access to this sort of fish for Clear Lake, and the future benefits should be extremely rewarding."

During late May, Clear Lake received an initial stocking of 32 million walleye fry. Given average food and weather, survivors normally take 4 years to reach the 14-inch legal length. However, due to accelerated growth rates within the hatchery environment, growing times for "artificially reared" fish is significantly reduced.

"There is currently a very good forage base in Clear Lake, and these 9-inch fingerlings could make eleven to twelve-inches by the end of next summer, and could realistically hit the 14-inch limit during their third year," said Wahl. "That sort of growth goes a long toward sustaining a quality fishery."

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clear Lake stocking
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2006, 12:43 PM »
Glad you passed that along  OI .  Sounds quite promising for the future and I won't tell anyone else.

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2006, 12:49 PM »
Not a problem in passing along information there Oldbear...  sounds very promising for the future years to come. ;D  It does get fished pretty hard for the walleye there in both hard and soft water so the stocking will definetly be helpful.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2006, 01:40 PM »
Dannngnammit that means more cigars!  Had my fill of them last year!!!!

Ever seen a 8 inch walleye take a 4 inch creek chub?  I have............

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Do you like my lighted doorbell button?
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2006, 03:01 PM »
Dannngnammit that means more cigars!  Had my fill of them last year!!!!

Ever seen a 8 inch walleye take a 4 inch creek chub?  I have............

Couldn't keep them cigars off the hook long enough to catch a real fish last year.
We didn't have a second spawn on the yellows this year like last year so that should
should mean bigger eyes will be a little hungrier this year. The creel guy last year told us that of the keepers taken, lots of them were full of baby yellows.

FISHIN TILL THE BOTTOM DROPS OUT!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2006, 12:39 AM »
Some one needs to make a yellow bass pattern medium diver :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.