Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice Today?  (Read 11917 times)

Offline badgercreekfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
Re: Ice Today?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 03, 2006, 06:54 PM »
That's good to hear that there's plenty of ice on the West end of Badger Creek.  Once it gets going we'll have ice.  I'm looking forward to fishing down there some this year.  I only got to ice fish it once and it was non-stop action for decent gills.  I took my 6 yr old out and he had a blast for a couple of hours.  He got used to watching the Vex pretty quickly and now is looking forward to another year of action.

Offline Brushyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 04, 2006, 03:50 PM »
Has anyone seen or heard any ICE reports for West Okoboji?  Maybe even silver lake by Ayreshire?  I saw last night that Brushy Creek did not have any ice and there was even a guy out fishing in a boat. :( I am hoping to head north this weekend to find some decent ice.

Offline catman59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 04, 2006, 03:55 PM »
There was 2 shacks on Silver Saturday. 2-3 inches of ice. Should be more by next weekend.

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 04, 2006, 06:16 PM »
Just came back from checking Volga Lake and it is froze up except about 5' by the boat ramp, it should be good by the weekend if not by early next week!!

Ed

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #64 on: Dec 04, 2006, 11:33 PM »
Has anyone checked beeds lake?
Time to fish.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 05, 2006, 05:39 AM »
Threw my ice spud in today so I can do a little better checking.  Weatherman can stay away with his daytime forecasts for this week but I don't think it will hurt whats iced over already.  Nites are suppose to get right down there though.

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #66 on: Dec 05, 2006, 11:04 AM »
The channel is "ready" went over there today drilled some test holes ice was a good  4 -4 1/2 should easily gain an inch overnight.  It's on tommorow morning bright and early for some early season eyes.... :o

CrappieBuster so were you able to get out and try for some eyes?  If so I would love you to hear that you were able to slaughter them!!  I am hoping to get a chance this weekend and try my luck if the ice holds out for us.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 05, 2006, 02:17 PM »
Nope, damn hurricane force winds the past couple days.  Soon as the wind pipes down im gonna hit her hard.  Should be 6-7 inches by this weekend it'll be a fiasco im guessin.

Offline tazzzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Dec 05, 2006, 05:47 PM »
hi everyone ,, well its been a long summer ,, got my deer in the freezer .
now I'm really ich'en to get one the ice . think about heading up to clear lake
this week -end . does anyone knoe the ice condition there . near grundy center
its 2"   :tipup:

Offline Brushyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 05, 2006, 06:39 PM »
I had a friend call and say there is not much ice up at clear lake?  Is it worth planning for this weekend? If there is I will rent a hotel for the night.  But I want to make sure before I book reservations.

Offline bass10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 05, 2006, 10:10 PM »

Had the day off, so thought I'd check out the ice condition in the tri-state area. Here's the findings:

Herron Pond: Completely frozen. Clear ice, very smooth. Five to 8 feet off the banks, ice is 2-3 ". Didn't venture out further than I could see bottom.

O'Leary Lake: shore line areas frozen pretty solid, but open water in several spots towards the middle. Ice looked really thin15 to 20 yards from shore. Drilled one hole---maybe 2".

Mud Lake: Looks solid all the way out to Zollikofer but I didn't venture out. The wind was really honkin straight in .

Heritage Pond: Nice skim of ice, but obviously no thickness yet. Several open spots around the spring areas and the far west end was totally open. I wouldn't venture out for a couple weeks there unless we get some really cold weather.

Bergfeld Pond: Looked frozen over all the way across and ice looked solid. Stepped out about 10 feet and drilled a hole. Went through maybe 3" and it cracked under my legs. That's all I needed to know!

The bottom line is-----Let it set the rest of the week. Maybe by Saturday.

Be Safe
Dick

Tight Lines from Dubuque

Offline livonbrushy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:26 PM »
briggs woods webster city fished for 2 hr tonight 3-4" one open hole north of beach lots of geese rest of the lake frozen good there were 3 other houses on it also few crappies 9" caught right before dark lake is still down do to the renavation down about 14 ft 

Offline fishnhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:52 PM »
I've been able to get out on our private pond the last two evenings. It's good to be back sitting on a bucket! ;D I hope to get up to the Mississippi north of McGregor this weekend. I'm feeling like a nine year old on Christmas eve!
[img]http://www.iowaoutdoors.org/albums/oldbear/team_iowa_logo5.thumb[im_]

Offline marble-eye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Dec 06, 2006, 08:03 PM »
Here we go finally.

Original Iceman,  i got my auger running today cleaned the carb and she runs good for her age. Hope we can use it soon.
Hows the pond lookin over there?

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #74 on: Dec 06, 2006, 09:29 PM »
Here we go finally.

Original Iceman,  i got my auger running today cleaned the carb and she runs good for her age. Hope we can use it soon.
Hows the pond lookin over there?
Well if you want to give that auger a good trial run we could hit the pond to the west, that's the one that I got the real nice sized perch out of last year... also we stocked some walleyes in that pond too!!  I was over there last night and the west pond is froze over pretty good.  The main pond still has got a ways to go before I will step out on it.  Too much wind to keep it open.  Just let me know about this weekend, there is also the other pond that I have got permission from my friend and there are suppose to be some real nice sized eyes in that one too.

Offline IOWA BASSER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bass Fisherman at Heart - but I love the Hardwater
« Reply #75 on: Dec 07, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Hay livonbrushy  

What does the lake look like??   How soon before we can be out on the south end ??
BASS WISHES AND TIGHT LINES !!

Offline marble-eye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Dec 07, 2006, 09:19 PM »
Went to Fin-Feather today good six inches, didnt make it to Clark i was too COLD did not have my bibs on.

Offline badgercreekfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
« Reply #77 on: Dec 08, 2006, 08:39 AM »
Stopped at Badger Creek in Madison County and checked the ice.  I was alone so I only checked the edges and there is at least 3.5 or 4 inches of ice.  I'm hoping to hit there or another pond later today or tomorrow before the weather decides to crank up the heat.  Lets all hope for no RAIN.

Offline Bluegill Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 08, 2006, 09:55 AM »
Just dropped in first time this year to see ice conditions. S.Central IA to be specific.  I saw 1" on a half acre pond last Monday night.  Wonder if we thickened up any?  Keomah, White Oak, BelvaDeer, any ice reports?  Ice conditions near Hwy 2?

Bring on the cold!  We need ice this year Santa ;D

Offline handgun hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:36 AM »
farm  ponds are 5"to 6"  just got home from fishing  theses are all in the oskaloosa area

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.