Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice Reports  (Read 3761 times)

Offline HardWaterSlabDaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Reports
« on: Dec 17, 2020, 05:49 AM »
I was curious as to where the Ice thickness is through out the state. I am in SW Iowa (Omaha/Council Bluffs) and I am hearing some local reports of 2-3". The plan is to go out this weekend and check. What is everyone else finding? Thought maybe a post where everyone could go to and see early ice reports would help some people judge their area.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Ice Reports
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2020, 08:32 AM »
4-5in pond NW Iowa..

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2020, 07:40 AM »
A couple of us are heading north tomorrow to find some ice! (leaving from Glenwood, IA area). We've got a couple of spots highlighted to check out and waiting on some ice reports from guys I know up north to verify. As many of you are, I'm itching to get out on the ice, but also want to use "reasonable" sense of caution and safety! Be safe to all of you out there, as I want all to be able to enjoy upcoming holidays (in whatever COVID adjusted form that is!) this season!
I'll give report on how we did later this weekend!

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2020, 11:22 AM »
   A couple brave souls fishing Millers, north of Savanna ill.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2020, 01:05 PM »

Kabele’s had a report some fishable spots.

Offline artfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2020, 08:29 PM »
2"on small pond near Marshalltown. Not enough for me.

Offline crappeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2020, 08:38 PM »
3 inches on a Crawford county pond this morning.

Offline crappeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2020, 08:49 PM »
Heard there were 3 guys out on Blackhawk today. Close to shore.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2020, 06:19 AM »
Measured 2.75" at Black Hawk and I saw a couple crazy dudes out.  Not yet for me.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2020, 06:56 AM »
I called up to the ranger's office at Blackhawk yesterday (Friday) and talked to one guy there, and he said the same thing. About 2.5 inches and there were a couple of guys out on the lake. I was thinking of heading up there today, but after hearing only that amount of ice, thought  better of it, and I'll wait until it's thicker! I think colder temps on the way in the middle of next week, so I guess a few days to wait until safe ice around SW Iowa way.
Be safe everyone!

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2020, 07:08 AM »
I called up to the ranger's office at Blackhawk yesterday (Friday) and talked to one guy there, and he said the same thing. About 2.5 inches and there were a couple of guys out on the lake. I was thinking of heading up there today, but after hearing only that amount of ice, thought  better of it, and I'll wait until it's thicker! I think colder temps on the way in the middle of next week, so I guess a few days to wait until safe ice around SW Iowa way.
Be safe everyone!
Good call. Was on 3” here in NW IA. yesterday and just like late ice, with the day warming up, good going on in the AM but not so good coming off in the PM.

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2020, 08:03 AM »
Gonna check some small ponds today in Linn and Johnson Counties, but I expect to be staying on shore. Another day or two of cold temps before it warmed up and we would have been good here.
The user formerly known as Midnight Rambler.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2020, 08:33 AM »
Gonna check some small ponds today in Linn and Johnson Counties, but I expect to be staying on shore. Another day or two of cold temps before it warmed up and we would have been good here.

I feel your pain. In IL here, but the same situation. We had a good, smooth skin of nice clear ice on local ponds, but now it's 42 degrees and raining this morning 😐 2-3 more days below freezing, and they would have been solid to fish... dang teaser ice.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2020, 09:45 AM »
Lots of brave souls between here and Savanna (330 miles). Hope they go on with spuds, ice picks and float suits.

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2020, 10:58 AM »
Checked my first small pond south of Cedar Rapids this morning.

The good news is I didn't need my picks or my spud bar. The bad news is I didn't need my picks or my spud bar. One look at that ice and water was all I needed.

I am still going to check a couple more ponds when I am out and about this afternoon, but I am pretty sure I won't be fishing today.

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2020, 05:33 PM »
One pond had maybe 2" of ice, and it wasn't in the best shape.

My spud bar went through easy on the other water I looked at this afternoon, so I didn't bother looking at how thin it was.

Gonna have to wait a few more days in this part of Iowa.

Offline mags83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2020, 11:14 AM »
Sat on 3" this morning just north of Des Moines.  No fishies.

Offline HardWaterSlabDaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2020, 07:01 AM »
South west Iowa had 2.5-3" on Saturday and Sunday morning but dont anticipate there to be much left after Sundays warm temps and the wind and 50s Monday and Tuesday.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2020, 06:39 AM »
A couple of us were able to get out on Mile Hill Lake near Glenwood yesterday, but ice was still somewhat sketchy in many areas of the lake. We found 4-5" of good ice in protected area but couldn't move around much. Caught a few small fish (3 small bass, 2 bluegills, and 2 small crappies). Not much, but again, good to be out on ice for first time in SW Iowa yesterday. Other areas around Glenwood weren't ready yet.

Tomorrow (Monday, Dec. 28) some of us are thinking of heading up north to Blackhawk Lake to try. I haven't heard of anyone the past few days fishing it (with safe ice!) Anyone know if ice is good enough there to make the trip? I'd like to get out and fish before the big storm comes in on late Monday evening and through Wednesday!

thanks

Offline Carpie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2020, 08:00 AM »
Was out checking ice around Cedar Rapids area (Cedar river backwaters) and there was very little fish able ice. 4-5” at best in areas that were protected by wind, but lots of areas or 1-2”. Places I checked were: Mohawk, Ellis, Seminole Valley, and out by Palo/Blairsferry.

It’s going to be a week or so till the bigger lakes in the area (Macbride and Pleasant Creek) are walkable IMO. I did not even bother checking those.

Offline crappeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2020, 11:09 AM »
Heard 5inches of ice on Black hawk off shotgun hill. Catching lots of small perch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.