Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Just ordered a Black Betty!  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Just ordered a Black Betty!
« on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:54 PM »
I just got a 13 Fishing BB from FishUSA, way stoked to try it.  Any recommendations on what UL rod to pair it with for panfish?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Just ordered a Black Betty!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:05 PM »
TUCR precision noodle.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fishunlimited(fu)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:07 AM »
I still fish with bobbers...  :tipup:
I have one of those Dave genz rods have bobber ion it but it's nice because if fish follows it up I can feel it bite.lol

Offline ralphy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:02 AM »
I tried one! Looked good,but after using it for awhile took it off. Found that I could not reel fast enough to keep up with the fish. I do enjoy my Black Betty 6061.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:10 AM »
I tried one! Looked good,but after using it for awhile took it off. Found that I could not reel fast enough to keep up with the fish. I do enjoy my Black Betty 6061.

I had one and hated it if it had a free spool it would have been better.
2X on reeling fast enough I'd put it on a long 30+ inch light action rod so you have a better chance to stay tight with the fish by raising the rod. Put a good amount of backing line on the spool before you put your good line on it.

"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:12 AM »
Why would you have a need for a reel like that when they make all kinds of nice ultra light reels for ice fishing purposes?  Just wondering.  :)

Offline Pearl Ram

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Got the trailer park Dave Gentz one concept sounds awesome but they don't work that well. Caught way more candy bars on the fleet farm combos. Sucker Bait every year there is a new secret weapon.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:39 AM »
I have no idea what you just said.

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:59 AM »
X2

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:09 AM »
X3  ... Is it rap ?

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:48 AM »
TUCR precision noodle.

I've been salivating over one of these, Kevin!

As far as not keeping up with the fish with the 1:1 ratio...it should work fine in less than 12 FOW....right?

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:00 AM »

As far as not keeping up with the fish with the 1:1 ratio...it should work fine in less than 12 FOW....right?

Yes you will do better in shallower water the reel has no drag so your going to be fighting the fish with the rod and then reeling down to the hole as the fish comes up. That's why I would pair it with a longer soft action rod.
Good luck you may like it the guy I sold mine to loves it he was even using it on lakers in 90fow the other day :cookoo:
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Why would you have a need for a reel like that when they make all kinds of nice ultra light reels for ice fishing purposes?  Just wondering.  :)

I guess I thought I'd see what all the rage was about with the BB....I seem to have jig spin problems often with the spinning reels, so I wanted to see if this would solve that.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:27 AM »

You would love it I bet. I love mine. I pull it out when the fish are slow and I can see every little bite. Much more sensitive than the other noodles on the market. All of them have their place though. If you are using standard ul rods, I feel very comfortable in saying a TUCR noodle will help you catch more fish. Feel free to quote that if you need to justify the purchase to the female side  ;D

I actually have a spinning reel on my TUCR, and an inline on my other custom noodle. I'll have an inline on the TUCR for next year.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:31 AM »
I just made her read that.   ;D

Offline Iabowhunter77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2014, 02:28 PM »
So, I asked this same question about two months ago, and got some great advice. I took Kevin23's advice and order a TUCR PN and paired it with a 6061 and hoooodawg, I've hade the best fishing days of my life in the last month. I went to scheels to test the feel of the BB versus the BB6061. If you haven't felt both, then I predict you will like your black betty a lot. Just don't go seeking to test someone's 6061, if you do you'll have to justify buying another reel!  I've found the customer service at both fishusa and TUCR to be outstanding.  I've actually been on the phone with both CEO's and they both seemed to really care about my orders.  GL and TL!

Offline Egts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:42 PM »
Much more sensitive than the other noodles on the market.

You may want to be careful with that statement.  My Thorne Bros Power Noodle is significantly more sensitive than my TUCR Precision Noodle.  My buddies Power Noodle is the same.  My Power Noodle tip diameter is less than 1mm.  My Precision Noodle is right at 1mm. My power noodle will load with jigs that wont even register on the Precision Noodle.   If needed, I can post pictures of a caliper measuring each tip.  In my case, when the bite requires one to downsize to the smallest of jigs, the Power Noodle is my go to rod.  I'd the bite is a little more aggressive I use the Precision Noodle.

Also the Power Noodle loads more like a fast action St Croix, where the Precision Noodle loads more like an extra fast St Croix actioned rod.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Thanks much for all the suggestions, guys.  I'll be getting some sort of noodle soon!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:14 PM »
I don't feel I need to be careful with it. I've fished both and feel the TUCR is much more sensitive. Just HOW small of a jig do you use? I rigged up a #16 tear drop, the thing is so small it took at least a minute to hit bottom in 10' of water. TUCR registered it just fine, loaded the tip slightly so I could see an up-bite. #14 and #12 tear drops easily load the tip. For reference, a 3mm tungsten is about 3 times heavier than the little tear drops.  ;)

Maybe you got a faulty TUCR?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Egts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:06 PM »
I don't feel I need to be careful with it. I've fished both and feel the TUCR is much more sensitive. Just HOW small of a jig do you use? I rigged up a #16 tear drop, the thing is so small it took at least a minute to hit bottom in 10' of water. TUCR registered it just fine, loaded the tip slightly so I could see an up-bite. #14 and #12 tear drops easily load the tip. For reference, a 3mm tungsten is about 3 times heavier than the little tear drops.  ;)

Maybe you got a faulty TUCR?

I didn't get a faulty TUCR, my local bait shop stocks them.  I've played with 7-8 that are one the shelf & all of them are stiffer than my Power Noodle.  We even took several in back & players with them in the bait tank.  There was no comparison, my Power Noodle is more sensitive.  A 3mm tungsten will not load my Precision Noodle nor would it load the ones on the shelf at the bait shop.  Evidently I got a really sensitive Power Noodle.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Wow. A 3mm tungsten jig loads my TUCR about 1/2".  ??? ???
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Egts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Wow. A 3mm tungsten jig loads my TUCR about 1/2".  ??? ???

Do you have a caliper? I'd be interested to know what the diameter is neat the tip.  With all the talk of how sensitive TUCR Precision Noodles are supposed to be, I was disappointed when I got it.  I'm planning  to sell it & get another Power Noodle.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:20 PM »
I do not. When did you get yours? Mine is one of the first batches, before they went mainstream. Hand written "30 PN" on the blank and no logo or anything.. not even TUCR. It was not a retail purchase, bought it directly from one of the owners before they had a retail website ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Measure something real quick, when you load the tip it should flex 3" down the blank. They also custom make them as "tweeners" (in between a precision and a noodle) with 1.5" cut off the tip. There should only be one point of flex on the PN, 3" down from the tip. Then it goes instantly into a Med rod backbone.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Egts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Mine was a 32" custom order this year.  It's the black shiny fiberglass model.  Adam said were adding a shiny finish to the noodles this year.  Maybe that process stiffened them up a little, maybe different blank batch has something to do with it???  Anyway, I'll be liquidating it shortly. 

Offline Egts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:29 PM »
Measure something real quick, when you load the tip it should flex 3" down the blank. They also custom make them as "tweeners" (in between a precision and a noodle) with 1.5" cut off the tip. There should only be one point of flex on the PN, 3" down from the tip. Then it goes instantly into a Med rod backbone.

Mine flexes about 3ish inches down the blank.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Wow, I don't know what to say. I really am sorry to hear you don't like it. I'm sure someone will take it and put it to good use. Sounds like it would be a great rod for jigging plastics, my TUCR is a little too light for jigging plastics for crappie, I can't work them fast enough. Like fishing with a wet spaghetti noodle as a tip.  :roflmao:
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Egts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:35 PM »
It's not a big deal......I will say I like my Precision & Quick Tip.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:26 PM »
At this point I don't know what to do. I guess whether I go with TB or TUCR its much improved from what I currently have. ???

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2014, 11:31 PM »
A good cheeper option is the jason mitchell meatsick or a 27inch frabill quick tip. I am gonna get flamed for that.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.