Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Putting away my ice fishing gear  (Read 4387 times)

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Putting away my ice fishing gear
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Good temps out there this morning!  ;D

I don't expect to get much new ice to replace what we start losing next week, however fast that goes. If the forecasts are close to right we should have two more weeks of ice-fishing left along I-80, anyhow.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2012, 09:47 AM »
 "I don't expect to get much new ice to replace what we start losing next week, however fast that goes. If the forecasts are close to right we should have two more weeks of ice-fishing left along I-80, anyhow."

We've been making ice for the last week. I'll be ice fishing into mid-March just like every other year! Good God some of you guys are negative, thankfully ice doesn't form or not on good/negative vibes. ;D

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2012, 10:47 AM »
"I'll be ice fishing into mid-March just like every other year!"

Where are you going in Minnesota?

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:06 AM »
Just Iowa, maybe Ontario into first of April. Heck the Mississippi backwaters yesterday were 12" and we surely won't lose any in the next week.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:47 PM »
Most years we have fishable ice in to the first week of March in Iowa City, maybe the middle of March in a very good year.

The thing is, most years we have 20" of ice or so on Lake Macbride and the ponds around here by the middle of February.

Due to the warm winter, we have nowhere near that much ice this year. The 10" or so of ice we have now is not going to do well with highs in the upper thirties to low fifties forecast for the next two weeks, and by the end of February those of us south of I-80 cannot count on another long cold spell to freeze things up. No way am I still ice-fishing in Johnson County on March 7 like I have in years past.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2012, 01:01 PM »
It's not March 7th yet is it? I just said I would be fishing, and yeah ya might have to get out of Johnson county which prob isn't a bad thing. There is a whole lot of North IA that you can travel to within 2 hrs for late season. Plus it's nice to see different areas and try new spots. If this doesn't work maybe we can just meet up and go trout fishing. lol @)

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 15, 2012, 10:41 AM »
Since the last time I threaten to put my ice fishing stuff away and then we had a cold snap ;D...I'm going to see if it can work again....

I'm putting my ice fishing gear away ;)

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Good idea big rock im taking my stuff out of truck to if mother nature with get cold again but then I have to load it again to head north but I will try it again LOL ;D ;D ;D
Never to many short poles

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who bait.
« Reply #38 on: Feb 17, 2012, 09:28 PM »
you know what. i am done with ice fishing. this season. i'm sticking to fishing the rivers. got some good carp snagging hehe 8)

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 18, 2012, 07:45 AM »
I'll be ice fishing for weeks yet. Been up to Brushy Creek the last few days. 8-9" of clear ice

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline Olecactuswill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 18, 2012, 07:53 AM »
I'll stay positive. I'm thinking the beginning of March will bring a real cold snap.
Either fishing or thinking about fishing everyday!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 18, 2012, 07:53 AM »
at least you guys got on ice! no safe ice within an hours ride from where i live. never wet a line this season.

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 18, 2012, 10:32 AM »
Looks like ice fishing is done here in Central Iowa so I'm putting my gear away for this season.  >:( I've got too many things going on this month to drive up North to find safer ice. I'll be spending some time home brewing beer  @) and thinking about open water fishing.

Of course if we get a cold snap, I'll be out for sure.

Be safe guys, we've lost too many already this year....

You may have been a lil pre-mature but atleast you've got the priorities straight! :thumbsup:
Ice fishing is a subculture, one wouldn't understand until they experienced it...

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 18, 2012, 06:34 PM »
I'm not going to dismantle my ice-fishing gear yet, as I'm making at least one more trip north before the middle of March.

But I do think I am done ice-fishing around Iowa City. I haven't had a chance to check anything around here, but I find it hard to believe there will be safe ice left in the area after this weekend.

We could still get another cold snap, but the odds of getting more good ice in southeast Iowa after February 18 are a lot lower than they were after February 2.

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:10 AM »
I think Im putting it up as well. Not being a small man, I just cant justify risking it on the ice. Stay safe my friends

Offline BassyThumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 21, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Agreed.  Mine is being put away as well.   :-\

A bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work!

"Everyone ought to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing"

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 21, 2012, 10:56 AM »
I agree too...I finally 'for real' put my stuff away last Saturday. Time for me to look forward to the Spring time pursuits, open water fishing, cycling, gardening, beer making and camping...not necessarily in the order ;D

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 21, 2012, 11:02 AM »
Chris and I fished Manawa this past Sunday on ice. We had 6" of good ice (to start with anyway) off of Boy Scout Island. We caught a lot of fish--some decent crappies and bluegills along with a few largemouths. Best part was later in afternoon, we went over to the canals on west side of lake and Chris caught about 5-6 crappies on ice jigs in open water---actually after I left he stayed and caught about 25 more! Others were catching fish as well. Not too many days you can ice fish and open water fish on same lake in same day--and catch fish both places!
ice is going to take big hit with the rain we had last night and warmer temps this week. Sun this time of year has quite a bit of power as we are only a month away from Spring Equinox (12 hrs of sunlight)!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Going to the border of minnesota this weekend and then putting it away until my trip to lake of the woods in early march ;D ;D ;D Then I think im done when theres no ice in the lower 48 states LOL Good Luck and be safe!!

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:12 AM »
Going to the border of minnesota this weekend and then putting it away until my trip to lake of the woods in early march ;D ;D ;D Then I think im done when theres no ice in the lower 48 states LOL Good Luck and be safe!!

Sounds like your trying to live the 'Endless Winter'...keep fishing ;D

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 22, 2012, 04:04 PM »
I like how u think ;D

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Just trying to get my 30 days on ice down here in southern iowa I only got 14 days of safe ice thats all we had was a bad year but next year I hope I dont have to travel so much just fish my normal 40+ days . Didnt do as good as last year fish were hard to pattern they where all scattered . Last year I caught a 12.75" gill and a 16.5" crappie and 15" perch this year was way short of that got to keep on fishing a littlr more to get my fix.LOL Still thinking cold thoughts . Good Luck and be safe all ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.