Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Spirit Lake/ West Okoboji Weekend Help!  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Bflatisbest

• IceShanty Rookie
Spirit Lake/ West Okoboji Weekend Help!
« on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:20 PM »
     This weekend I am planning an outing with my brother in the IGL area. I am extremely unfamiliar with the area, but would really like just a bit of help. He is on orders here and returns to his base the 27th and has never ice fished before and any bit of info to get us on fish will be great.

I'm not asking for a lot but, best lodging for the money, possible gps coordinates, bait shops? If i've missed an already good thread please let me know.

I plan to do spirit and some sight fishing on okoboji, but we are from des moines and it's a whole new country up there.

PM me with any details!

Mike

Offline cdt80

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spirit Lake/ West Okoboji Weekend Help!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:27 PM »
If you are thinking Spirit, Kabeles trading post is a good bait shop.  They are always willing to help get you on fish.  Actually, it has been fairly easy to catch fish on Spirit this year.  The crowds are pretty much on the West and North sides.  As for GPS coordinates, you are asking a lot out of someone who has spent a lot of time getting them.  I will say get a map and look for the rock piles for the eyes and 20' of water for the perch.  Be careful of the ice breakers on the west side getting on.   

Offline doonan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:35 PM »
I always stay at northland inn right by vicks corner, close to west and a short drive to Spirit. 49 bucks a night last time I stayed and they have a heated fish cleaning station. Stans in milford has a nice selection of tackle and very competitive prices on bait. West you will be sight fishing gills in emerson, millers, or smiths bay. If you don't have a flasher or camera I would stay off Spirit. 

Offline frosteeone

• IceShanty Rookie
  • having fun is name of the game
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:46 PM »
I was just up there saturday and sunday and did fair on spirit on big stoney point drove on from hales slough. We stayed at northland inn $49.50 a nite tax included. hope this helps and I thank your brother for his services good luck and happy fishing

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:01 AM »
I always stay at northland inn right by vicks corner, close to west and a short drive to Spirit. 49 bucks a night last time I stayed and they have a heated fish cleaning station. Stans in milford has a nice selection of tackle and very competitive prices on bait. West you will be sight fishing gills in emerson, millers, or smiths bay. If you don't have a flasher or camera I would stay off Spirit. 

I 2nd Stan's Bait.  We don't make it up there very much so would usually only hit Oh Shuck's because we knew where it was.  Buddy went in to get the bait & asked the woman behind the counter where the fish were biting & she gave a smart azz grin & comment "In the lake".  There was a local guy beside my bud in line & he just shook his head & rolled his eyes.  Once outside, he offered good info & told us to go to Stan's as he knows the lakes & will give a lot better info. He pretty much gave the impression not to waste our time at Shuck's. He was just getting gas. 

It only took one grumpy worker at Shuck's to loose our business for the day & more than likely in the future. It leaves a lasting impression.

Stan's is as you just start to get into Milford from Okoboji heading S. At the main intersection (that goes to Shuck's & W side of W Okoboji Lake), turn L & you will encounter somewhat of a frontage road. Head S on the frontage area & Stan's will be up a bit on the L. Brown building.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:30 PM »
What do you guys recommend for a map? The DNR website map is kinda crappy. What book of maps are out there and can they be picked up at Stan's etc....Thanks.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:58 PM »
Don't need a map for Spirit, theres not much structure. You'll be fishing the basin for perch drive a mile out from any shoreline and drill a hole. Or join the crowds, there hundreds on it and West every day.

Offline Chickenfarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:25 PM »
I have fished Big Spirit hundreds of times and since I no longer live there, here ya go. I would give you my waypoint but my Humminbird 768 is in for repair. Find Marble boat ramp. Head north northeast until you see the first set of homes on the west shore. One house alone sticks out. Has a huge deck facing the lake. Head straight east from that house ( you will be in 22 fow about 300 yds from shore) There are rocks that run NW-SE. About 20 yds wide and 50 -75 yds long. Find the southeast end. The bottom is rock transition to mud. Many people know about the rocks BUT find that sweetspot on the end. Wife and I have caught many, I mean many jumbo Perch, keeper eyes, and the biggest smallies I have ever caught. Buy bait at Kabels or the shop on the south end of East lake. Fox Lake just north of Sherburn is another good lake. Suspended Crappie (11-15 ') in 17 fow.    Good luck all

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:50 PM »
About 100 a day set up on that area, has been for weeks....

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:09 PM »
I have fished Big Spirit hundreds of times and since I no longer live there, here ya go. I would give you my waypoint but my Humminbird 768 is in for repair. Find Marble boat ramp. Head north northeast until you see the first set of homes on the west shore. One house alone sticks out. Has a huge deck facing the lake. Head straight east from that house ( you will be in 22 fow about 300 yds from shore) There are rocks that run NW-SE. About 20 yds wide and 50 -75 yds long. Find the southeast end. The bottom is rock transition to mud. Many people know about the rocks BUT find that sweetspot on the end. Wife and I have caught many, I mean many jumbo Perch, keeper eyes, and the biggest smallies I have ever caught. Buy bait at Kabels or the shop on the south end of East lake. Fox Lake just north of Sherburn is another good lake. Suspended Crappie (11-15 ') in 17 fow.    Good luck all

Is that Buffalo Run area?  My bud & I went last week thinking we were going to fish Spirit but ended up on W Okoboji sec to not being able to get on at Spirit & the wind.  We checked Marble Beach Ramp & nobody was going out on it as of last Thurs. & Fri..  There is a huge pressure ridge in that area & on the W side. Not even any tracks going on there. Maybe has changed in the last week though. I wanted to fish Buffalo Run area when up there.  I have never been on Spirit prior & when looking at the maps thought that it would be a nice place to try. I think a guy told me they were getting on somewhere around Buff Run. I didn't realize there was an access there.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:24 PM »
Theres an access on Buffalo a mile up the road from Marble.

Offline Bflatisbest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:17 PM »
Wow thanks all for so many great responses! So many helpful people on here. I'll be glad to show my brother a great weekend before he has to go back to his base. Only get to see him maybe once a year so this is great guys!

Offline jawmbi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:18 PM »
The perch appear to be on the move.  many huts are moving as well.  some going north some going south from Buffalo Run and Marble Beach.  So be loose and fast and be prepared to move.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2011, 11:20 AM »
What seems to be working on the perch, minnows or jig and waxie? Any updates on the snow/ice conditions. I have a snowmobile, just wondering about the "breakers" everyone is talking about. Thanks.

Spoonie

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:32 PM »
I think you better get your hotel reservation done if you haven't yet.  I think Dave at the Northland said this weekend is the Winter Games up there & I think he will most likely be full as well as many others. You'll have to dodge all the action while trying to fish.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:58 PM »
Next weekend is winter games.  4x4 will get you around, the brakers they mention are the ice heaves along the shoreline. Jig and a waxie or spikes and minnows are both working just changes fron day to day or hour by hour.

Offline clm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2011, 02:04 PM »
 We are also headed up this weekend and will be pulling a 16" shack.    Where would be the best place to get on the lake?    Keep hearing about ice heaves near the ramps and saw some pictures of a guy that high centered his shack on one of them.    Was also wondering how much snow you guys are supposed to get up there.   We are coming sunday morning, spending the night in the shack and leaving on Monday.   Will be in a white shack named "The Doghouse"   if anyone wants to stop by and have a beer.   Thanks in advance for any info you can share.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.