Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Guesses  (Read 3578 times)

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Guesses
« on: Nov 30, 2004, 04:44 PM »
Any guesses on a date when the ice will be safe enough to go ice fishing? ;D
Time to fish.

Offline arctic6008

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Guesses
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2004, 08:31 PM »
Don't have a guess but can't hardly stand it much longer. It's gotta get cold one of these days and stay cold. I have two kids wanting to go as bad as me, but it looks like it will be awhile before the ice is thick enough for them to go.

THINK COLD!!!!!!!

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2004, 09:54 PM »
All I think about is putting on the carharts and boots, walking out on the ice, drilling the hole, dropping a little ice jig tipped with wax worm and watching it go down on the vexlar.  I'm waiting.  I'm going to guess December 16 will be the first day I can go ice fishing.  I hope. ;D 

Let me know when you have got on some ice because I'll be heading your way.  Thanks.
Time to fish.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2004, 11:08 PM »
Fishing on a small pond.......well...... December 3rd is my guess.....3 inches of ice by then on some....

Offline Red Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2004, 12:19 AM »
I have ice on my Christmas list and if I get it by Christmas, it confirms my belief that Santa is indeed real.  Central IA is hurting right now, but current low temps are promising.

deadduk

« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2004, 08:01 AM »
Last year we were on ice before Christmas.  Let's hope this year we get the same results! :tipup:

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2004, 09:38 AM »
I was ice fishing Morse and the Interstate Park Pond the second week of December last year.  I decided as I left Des Moines I was going to drive north until I found ice....that is where I landed.  Hoping for some of the same deal this year.  If we have ice by Christmas here in central Iowa we will be blessed for sure.

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline mzellner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Zeeman1
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2004, 10:52 AM »
My guess is christmas or new year. did notice the water looks thick in this area.  crossing fingers that we get safe ice soon.
 8) 8)
zeeman :o]

Offline badgercreekfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2004, 09:15 PM »
The date can't be soon enough.  I've got all my poles ready to go ... just need to decide on a shack.  ???

I'm going to try and decide over the weekend ... might make a trip to a couple of other stores in DSM.  My pond is completely frozen over and once that happens it's typically a couple of weeks before I'm comfortable on it.  I'll be checking a couple of ponds in 3 or 4 more days and then will start checking bigger bodies of water.  Obviously ... badger creek is where you'll find me once the bigger bodies are ready.

Get the equipment ready ... it won't be much longer (HOPEFULLY)!!!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2004, 03:03 PM »
10 day forecast appears as if its going to be in the high 40s. And rain which is also not good for ice which little ice has already formed in some northern counties. Its basically is a lost cause on forming ice until at least Dec 14th which puts us way way behind normal.  Not looking good for Northern Iowa :-X       how you guys doing down south? or should i ask that? :-\

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2004, 05:31 PM »
Checked out Morse Lake yesterday had maybe 2 inches on it. If we could just get 3-4 nights of single digits we could be fishing it!

Offline badgercreekfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2004, 07:12 PM »
I took a look outside just after a little rain here in the DSM area and my pond that was completely frozen over is now back to little/no ice whatsoever.  Bring on some cooler weather.

Offline -fish-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2004, 11:58 PM »
Yep, its not looking good. Im getting sick thinking I may not be on ice till jan.

Fish

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2004, 12:15 AM »
at this point I want all ice over to melt anyway...that way when it refreezes it will be a nice, solid, clear ice freeze.  Looks like at least 2more weeks until we have another chance at it......boooooooo.

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2004, 03:03 PM »
I'd have to say mother nature is a b***h.........Or maybe it's global warming starting to take grip!???? Who knows im not a damn climatologist!!! All and all im about ready to move to Northern Ontario. Ice season in Iowa is going to be the shortest if not most sickening on record im sure.  Second week of Janruary before theres even 6 inches on most northern lakes is my bet..........

:'(

buzzdpm

« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2004, 08:30 PM »
I'm with goody, I'd like to see it come cold and fast over a few sub 10 degree nights that way we don't have all the crazy's (like myself) getting wet to start off the season.  I can't wait....I predict Saturday morning the 18th is our first solid chance. Vex is charged and new Dave Genz pro flip tent ready!

Buzz

Offline ice-aholic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2004, 02:12 AM »
if i don't get to fish soon, i am gonna die! need cold weather soon!!! 30 below sounds great to me.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2004, 05:30 PM »
its a conspiracy this non cold bullcrap............. :'(
dec 21st is the official start of winter though!!!! think cold cold thoughts!

Offline badgercreekfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2004, 02:08 PM »
The last couple of days have been putting ice on my pond ... FINALLY!!! 

Here's to more COLD weather.  :thumbsup:

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2004, 03:06 PM »
Drove over to Clear Lake today and drilled some holes. 4inches of choppy ice on the east shore. 5 around farmers beach of not so good ice.  Channel area still open. It was 39 degrees so it wasnt making much but wasnt losing much either. If the forecast stays true may be fishing it by Monday the 20th.  Looks like christmas "for sure" though!  DUNNO ABOUT YOU GUYS BUT THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!    :tipup:

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2004, 11:57 AM »
Im changing my prediction to Sunday morning for sure..............  IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.